Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

SoCal Tiki Artists' Carving Hut at Tiki Oasis '08 !!!

Pages: 1 45 replies

TL

Aloha!

I thought since we are really, really close to Oasis-time, we need to get this thread goin' and get some EXCITEMENT rollin' about the SoCal Tiki Artists' Carving Hut at this years' Tiki Oasis!

So all you carver's out there who will be there, feel free to post your works in progress that you'll be bringing to finish up, or maybe even a few drawings of what you'll be starting while you're there! Anyone who needs to touch base with others about what to bring, or who's doing what, post it here too!

Let's get the momentum going!

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-07 01:33 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-10 00:23 ]

T

I'm not sure what I'll be working on yet, but I really want to thank Mieko for all the work that she's put in to help keep the group focused and organized.

How about you, Lee?

M
mieko posted on Thu, Jul 3, 2008 11:23 PM

Hey Lee! Thanks for getting a thread going!

I'm still working out all the details with Otto on how much space we'll have and the rules of what will be allowed and what won't.

We will be in an area inside the hotel complex and not across the parking lot, which will be really awesome, however we'll be VERY limited on space. Because of this Otto has said there's no power tools, and we're going to be limited to demonstrations - no lessons (liability reasons).

If people are interested in participating, please let me know via email or PM. Otto needs to have a signed agreement before the date, so I'll need to talk to everyone that wants to participate, for when Otto and I get that agreement written up. :)

C

Alright Meiko...Thanks for giving everyone a place to carve monster heads and scratch the word "tiki" into little scraps of wood!!!! But seriously, thanks for stepping up and getting us setup I know it can be a thankless gig but everyone appreciates it! I hope to swing in when I can and relax is the flurry of wood chips. Are you guys doing the raffle thing again? See everyone there!

I would like to participate again if you all have room

Are you guys really banning Billy the Crud from your carving circle?

If so, Bogus!!!!!!!

Ohhhh, the TIKI love!!!

TL

Yes- Meiko's got about 100 things to juggle right now and she's doing a great job! I'm sure anything we can do to help will be...well, really helpful!

I've got the room/lawn all reserved for us. Since we have such a limited area to carve in, I'll be merely presiding over the room and selling my carvings at my own table in Artist's Alley. I don't want to take up space from you guys who have been "gellin'" as a group this past year.

-gettin' excited! :D

T

On 2008-07-05 20:21, Tiki Lee's wrote:
I don't want to take up space from you guys who have been "gellin'" as a group this past year.

Oh please, Lee. You always fit right back into the group when you're in town.

I sketched out the design for the Carving Village sign today. Mieko gave it her seal of approval and will be doing the matching pendant. I'll run it past the rest of the group at the next Chop before I start scratching the word "tiki" into that scrap of wood. :wink:

C

Can't wait to see everyones new stuff!

[ Edited by: clysdalle 2008-07-05 22:41 ]

hey kate post a pic of the sketch when ya get a chance! unless your waiting to reveal it closer to oasis time

TL

Just to letya all know, the name of the event formerly known as Carver's Village is a-changin'. So until then, the title of this thread is "in transit".

T

On 2008-07-07 01:43, tikithomas08 wrote:
hey kate post a pic of the sketch when ya get a chance! unless your waiting to reveal it closer to oasis time

I'll have to wait until the revisions are finished. But I'll probably be working on it at the next Chop, so you can see it in person.

B

Watching me carve is about as exciting as watching paint dry. I'll probably be working on a pendant.

I'll have some of these with me

This is my latest, übertiki.

Or maybe I'll carve too....

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: Bowana 2008-07-08 22:07 ]

It's Official!

The new name of the event is "SoCal Tiki Artists' Carving Hut". Drop by and say "Aloha"!

BTW - Awesome pendants, Bo!

On 2008-07-10 00:26, Tiki Lee's wrote:
It's Official!

The new name of the event is "SoCal Tiki Artists' Carving Hut". Drop by and say "Aloha"!

BTW - Awesome pendants, Bo!

Cool! Will Billy the Crud be there? He is a SoCal Tiki Artist... right?

Dave those look great! edges look sharp enough to use as a weapon!

is the carving group full? I havent seen any release or waiver to sign yet? Am I too late? Or is it possible I dont have enough monthly chops under my belt?

Come over this Sunday and double your chop total! :P

T

On 2008-07-08 22:06, Bowana wrote:
Watching me carve is about as exciting as watching paint dry. I'll probably be working on a pendant.

I'll have some of these with me

This is my latest, übertiki.

Love that übertiki, Dave. You just may be the next TC craftsman to be duplicated by the rip-off guys. Those are all good but don't be suprised to find übertiki soap bars, lighters or breath mints.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Jul 15, 2008 8:22 PM

On 2008-07-15 16:25, 4WDtiki wrote:
Come over this Sunday and double your chop total! :P

Haha, I hope you can make it this weekend Derek! :)

Sorry I hadn't posted this yet, I'm swamped with work and stuff. Here's the list of who I have interested at this point - please contact me if there's anyone I'm missing.

Tiki-Kate
CheekyGirl
TikiLee
Bowana
4WDtiki
TikiThomas08
Mieko
Monkeyman
T_birdman

I'll try to have an email out to everyone soon.

tropicaldesignsbymieko.com

[ Edited by: mieko 2008-07-16 10:38 ]

sorry, i wont be choppin' with yall, ill be bussy maning my both in artist alley

Hey everyone, when exactly is this event again? Is there room for another carver (me) to join in for some funky carving? I recently acquired some eucalyptus logs today, and have ideas burning, as well as a new tiki piece I'm starting entitled, 'Crackon Tiki.' I guess Tiki Lee is the mastermind to talk to about this? So, Lee could you let me know if I can come carve, I want to chainsaw carve and I have alot of hand tools to share if that sweetens the pot. Email me at [email protected]. Do you remember me? Because I recall the great discussion we had about wood.

Hot Milk, Cap'n FOREMAN

Lee, thanks for starting the Oasis Carving thread! And since space is pretty tight, I'll be working on a sign for my home tiki bar. No big log or carving horse to lug! I'm traveling light. :)

is the space too tight to carve a 5 foot log?

It's a 10'x10' space. Divide that by howevermany peoples, and you personnaly will get 4.2 feet, sorry. :P

B

Somebody else post their work, dammit!

maybe I will just hang back and let you regulars run the show

I will stop by to see how you all are doing periodically throughout the event

10 x 10 is WAY WAY too tiny

Still haven't seen posted:

When / Where is this event taking place?

Thanks!!

KahunaKev

M

Hey KahunaKev, this is part of Tiki Oasis, we'll be carving on Aug 16 & 17, but check http://www.tikioasis.com for all the other events going on.

Hey Capt, the SoCal Tiki Artists are a group of people who meet on a monthly basis to share carving tips and other ideas. We usually meet at someone's house, but were invited to meet at Oasis, and do our normal carving there. If you're interested in joining us, check the CA events threads for our next normal meeting, the Oasis event is very limited in space, so it's going to be for people we've carved with before.

Monkeyman - a 5 foot tiki would be pretty tight, but I really hope you can find a smaller piece of wood and join us. I always learn so much from you!

Oh, and just FYI for everyone, because of the limited space, we won't have any power tools at all.

Thank Mieko!

Finished a little sketch for my sign and ordered a set of palm tools!

Do you have to be So Cali to participate or will you let any riff-raff join you?

M

I'm pretty sure we can make some room for a famous Tiki Central guest carver. :)

"famous guest carver" - no one told me that Benzart was going!!

B

This just in!

The search for Mr. Carving Hut '08 is over!

Last year's Belle of the Ball, the lovely and talented Bay Park Buzzy, will graciously relinquish his title and Mr. Carving Hut Boy Shorts to this years finalist, Speedbike Spammy.

They really do carve Tikis in Galaxies far, far away!

Is that really you, Dave? :P

Nice!

B

On 2008-07-27 08:45, 4WDtiki wrote:
Is that really you, Dave? :P

What gave you that idea?

Here's the sketch to the sign I'll be working on....

The little guy in the top corner is a combo of Outrigger Logo & Tiki Joe.
I might make this into a mug for my Tiki Bar.

On 2008-07-21 20:54, Bowana wrote:
Somebody else post their work, dammit!

Haha Dave, I'll pimp my stuff!

I'll have these guys available for purchase, and maybe a few other smaller ones, if I can get them done in time.

B

I had a great time! Thanks Lee, Mieko, and everybody for making this work! Looking forward to next year.

Bowana-wowana

:)

Any of you cats want a commission?

It's for a 3 foot tall tiki that is supposed to resemble the family pug.

It needs to be done by Sept 16.

Let me know ASAP

Bowana: If you want to do it, I'll loan you my time machine so you can start it last March.

Wheeler: I think you're the right man for the job. :wink:

Buzzy Out!

No one?

I swear I'm not going to do it!

Buzzy

B

Come on Buzzy...

After your done carving the family pug...

you can do the mug...

That was a lead that that came in from the Myspace page I made for the group. No WONDER you didn't want me carving with you......I bring nothing but PUGS!

Here's the two tikis I carved at oasis, all done.
Tiki on left was Saturday, tiki on right, Sunday!

Pages: 1 45 replies