Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

July chop - "Carve-o-rama" Sunday the 20th - Oceanside

Pages: 1 2 49 replies

The 12, 19th, or 26th? The 19th could clash with the Freakout show, the 26th could clash with Comicon...

We could do a sunday...13th, 20th, 27th.

What works for you?

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-07-09 19:16 ]

I think I could rearrange my plans for the 12th.

B

im good for any of those

just picked up a good stash of logs today! yeah!!!!!

if you guys wood like to try a beach chop again
i live across from the beach in ob
there is a nice grassy park at the end of saratoga
and you can pull your car right there to unload
i even bought a big wagon to haul my stuff across the sand
i have chopped down there a couple times and it is pretty cool
bathrooms are real close also

M
mieko posted on Sat, Jul 5, 2008 8:35 PM

The 26&27 are both out for me, but any other date is fine.

C

Only a few chops left in Oceanside so that's where this one will be right? I'm down for the 12th if possible...

T

On 2008-07-05 21:01, Clysdalle wrote:
Only a few chops left in Oceanside so that's where this one will be right? I'm down for the 12th if possible...

Huh???

buzzard an OB chop sounds raddd!

i cast my vote for OB beach chop

B

lets do it!
july 12th ob beach chop!!!

i have a bbq and just bought a pop up
can get there early and claim a spot

what do you say?

M
mieko posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 5:30 PM

I'd like to have it at Bill's house, it's more comfortable and I have some stuff that might need power.

T

I second that. I love the beach, but I'd be way too distracted to carve.

B
Babalu posted on Sun, Jul 6, 2008 8:08 PM

Sorry guys...I am most likely going to be pushing out some stuff here in my studio that weekend for the FreakOut show. Kate, I will be firing your work in two days or so. :-) My grandson has his first real meeting with the main surgeon on the 23rd...cross your fingers.

Drats July is a tough month for pour moi.
7/12 & 7/26 Bad.
7/19 Good.
Any Sunday Good.

SD

We are planning on coming to the July Chop, but I know we have a few meetings this week that could throw a wrench into our plans, so really take our availability with a grain of salt (or sand or whatever.)

12=ok
13=nope
19=nope
20=ok
26=ok
27=ok

Jen

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jul 7, 2008 10:54 AM

12th is looking worse for me now, but plans aren't for sure yet. I'll vote for a Sunday, 20th might be nice since it'll be after the freakout show.

On 2008-07-07 10:54, mieko wrote:
I'll vote for a Sunday, 20th might be nice since it'll be after the freakout show.

I'm liking Sunday the 20th best, too. The 12th is this weekend, :o , to soon if we're still deciding.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2008-07-07 11:09 ]

T

I think Sunday the 20th will work for me.

And Rick, please don't worry about my mugs. You've got more than enough on your plate right now.

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Jul 8, 2008 8:10 PM

I'm in for the 20th.

Sunday the 20th it is!!!

Ooooh, I like the new "Carve-O-Rama" name.

We're in.

Jen and Scott

In -- bought some clamps at Costco (Thanks Sam for the tip) and I'll be lugging another tiki post.
#1 done, 7 to go!

I'm in ....nothing else going on that day!! Two chops in a row!!!

Bought a new power tool, Bosch Colt Palm Router. It should make the next couple of posts a breeze, I'm going to practice on some scrap wood tonight.

I checked out the fixed and plunge models, went to Lowes and checked them out. Even though some of the other models had more features, range and power, this one was only 3 lbs. SOLD!

That looks perfect for what you're wanting to do.

M
mieko posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2008 3:59 PM

Oooo, looks like a great new toy - I'd love to check it out! :)

man, more tools to check out.....I love these damn "events formerly known as chops but now some douche tried to steal the name and now they are called Carve-0-rama" events!

I'm going to try and start a new tiki....yes.....tiki...at this event. Hope to see everyone there!

I am up to attend this chop/Carve-O-Rama/tiki hap'nin.

See ya there

[ Edited by: geedavee 2008-07-16 16:08 ]

Hey would anybody be opposed to me bringing some samples of my new drink the VooDoo Kitty? I want some taste testers before the Oasis. I can bring a quart of the stuff and issue out little shot glass samples. If not, I can wait a month for the Oasis.

On 2008-07-16 14:49, CheekyGirl wrote:
Hey would anybody be opposed to me bringing some samples of my new drink the VooDoo Kitty? I want some taste testers before the Oasis. I can bring a quart of the stuff and issue out little shot glass samples. If not, I can wait a month for the Oasis.

I've got no problem at all with that. :D

Bring it! I don't have to drive. :wink:

B

I'm planning on bringing a co-worker along who is interested in starting his first Tiki carving.

Can't wait to try a VooDoo Kitty.

Really looking forward to art camp Sunday!

I am looking for a pc. of wood to carve, and am willing to shell out some cash for it. Please help me!

I'll bring some yummies to munch on!

Jen

I have some wood at bill's that I can chop a section off for ya...so bring your tools and be ready to work in the new and improved drama free zone :D :D :D

[ Edited by: Clysdalle 2008-07-17 15:51 ]

I'm hoping to attend, so see you all there.

B

looks like im in to !

(im reallly going for voodoo kities )

Just a reminder to all that it's on Sunday. I don't want any kooks showin up tomorrow morning! :lol:

bet if i showed up tomorrow w/ tamales you wouldnt shoo me and pops away :wink: , count us in for SUNDAY.

[ Edited by: Cannibal Sam 2008-07-18 16:43 ]

On 2008-07-18 16:42, Cannibal Sam wrote:
bet if i showed up tomorrow w/ tamales you wouldnt shoo me and pops away :wink: , count us in for SUNDAY.

I bet you're right. :D

I'll be whipping up some kalua pork tomorrow.

Can't wait to see you all on Sunday.

On 2008-07-18 16:42, Cannibal Sam wrote:
bet if i showed up tomorrow w/ tamales you wouldnt shoo me and pops away :wink: ,

You might want to show up with some of those blue hospital sheet things and some blue washcloths just to be safe. :wink:

Buzzy Out!

Well guys looks like I'm going to make this 3 in a row we miss.

Came home from the awesome time at the Light Gallery Tiki Freakout show to some family drama. I promise I'll bring my Neptune Salad and Bruschetta next time.

Hey Clydesdale, save me some wood!

Hey Cheeky Girl, save me some VooDoo Kitty!

Miss y'all!

Jen

It was the best Carve-O-Rama ever!!!

Had a great time. Missed the Skinny Dogs and the Cannibal clan though. :(

People carved and painted in a delightfully mellow, drama-free environment. I got a lot of work done today.

The Voodoo Kitty was awesome. Looking forwarded to sampling some more at Oasis.

Thanks again to Bill and Lennie for opening up their home to all of us.

B

The July Carve-O-Rama! Done, and done! Nice day for it too. Great weather and some new folks, jab tiki, TikiMango,TikiG and Capn' Jim (that name will have to do for now). Nice to see ya, guys! Let's see what's going on, shall we? C'mon! It'll be fun!

In the Sittin' Area:

Kate working away on the multi-functional Carving Hut sign we'll have for Oasis. It will also serve as a breadboard for making Tiki Sandwiches.

Clysdalle finally figuring out how a pen works. Hmm...that's two lefties in a row here.

Cheeky Girl copying her designs line for line onto her post covers. Remember that it's notebook paper. Some of those lines you won't be needing.

Mieko and Musubi Mom painting up Mieko's pendants.

Careful not to accidentally stick your brush in Lennie's bean dip.

Oh! My sensitive area!

Buzzy from last month's Carve...

..and Buzzy from this month's Carve. Are those spiderwebs?

Saludos desde Buenos Aires!

Let's see what those carvers are up to, hm?

geedavee gives his the old "Burn Baby, Burn" treatment.

Jim starts his first Tiki with one of those logs that are hard and crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside. Much like a Fig Newton.

Looks like you might need a bigger boat, eh Capn'? And stop dropping my tools in the dirt, dammit!

jab tiki jabbin', mon!

Buzzard buzzin' it!

Nice looking Moai!

Cheeky bumps it up a notch from last month with her electric router.

4WD sealing up his Tiki Mug Collection Containment System.

geedavee trims the fat Jenny Craig style.

Cyndi finishes hers! A proud mom she is.

Mieko's nephew catches the carving bug!

Meanwhile, back in the Sittin' Area:

Kate, aren't you done yet? Jeez! And what's that empty Voodoo Kitty glass there on the table? Oh, never mind.

Either carve, draw, paint, drink, or keep walking!

Hey, those humans left....let us dance!

I like being the photographer. I'm not in any pictures. Muhahah!
Sam, Alex, Scott, Jen, where ya at?!
Thanks Bill and Lennie for hosting another great Carve. Nice to see everybody!

Yer pal,

Bowana-donna-fofonna

...The drums!...The drums!...

[ Edited by: bowana 2008-07-21 14:01 ]

great time everyone!! That is what a chop is all about.....can't wait to see you all again at Oasis!

For my first Carve-O-Rama, it was awesome. It was great putting faces to the names and being surrounded by so many creative people. I'll be more prepared next time, with at least a sketch book, or crayons... or silly putty... something! The Voodoo Kitties were tasty. 4WDtiki, thanks for allowing me in.

Nice blow-by-blow Bowanna! Fun carv-o-rama day...weather was b-u-tee-full!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Jul 21, 2008 1:42 PM

Hi all, Greg here.
Just want to say a big Thank You to Bill and Lennie for yesterday's chop invitation. I hitched a ride with TikiMango from Sylmar to hopefully learn how to carve a tiki using palm log wood. At first I was a little nervous about going, not having met anyone yet I didn't know how a newbie would be accepted into this carving circle. All anxiety was forgotten as soon as we arrived; Bill was fantastic from the start and friends, no attitude at all was present, all the way down to the family dog! I learned so much my creative juices went from slow simmer in the morning to a rolling boil by mid afternoon. SO MUCH TO SOAK IN. I brought my digital camera to capture techniques(Thanks Bowana for posting your shots above).

I'm glad I had a chance to talk with several people here before I dove into my first large wood carving project. I'm fully confident today to begin a wood carved idol..a magnificent TIKI.

I look forward to meeting everyone again at Tiki Oasis in August to compare notes once again. By the way, on the way home from Oceanside to Sylmar TikiMango and myself stopped at BAHOOKA in Rosemead to order a round of ribs and grogs for dinner, as I had to have a green colored mug. Bahooka is a trip!

Thanks again one last time. TikiG

sorry i missed the chop i had every intention to go but my cousin turned 25 yrs old and we went out sat. nite many beers later i relieazed that maybe i should have gone easy, oh well. hangover and malets,chainsaws,routers dont mix as well as driving down there, hope to see everyone at the aug chop.

Maybe you can start Fedexing the tamales down the day before, just to be safe. :wink:

JT

I just want to say I had a wonderful time at the chop!! This was my second one, and I'm still making my way around to meeting everyone.
Thank You, 4WD Bill for kicking down some knowledge and your hospitality. I hope to see you all at T.O.'08.
-Johnny B.

Pages: 1 2 49 replies