Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Help with Zombie recipes in Beachbum Berry's books

Pages: 1 6 replies

C

I have both the Grog Log and Intoxica books, and the Zombie recipes attributed to Don the Beachcomber are different in each book. It seems like the one in Intoxica is supposed to be authentic, but the one in Grog Log is "an attempt to reproduce" Don the Beachcomber's recipe.

I don't have Sippin' Safari, so I can't compare that recipe. Is it the same as the recipe from Intoxica? Can anyone share the Sippin' Safari Zombie recipe if it's different from the other two? Is it worth buying the book if I already have his other two books?

Are any of these recipes supposed to be the "real" Zombie recipe from Don the Beachcomber?

IIRC, Grog Log has an approximation that the Beachbum came up with.

Intoxica has the 1956 Don the Beachcomber recipe.

Sipping Safari has the 1934 Don the Beachcomber recipe.

Like the Mai Tai, the Zombie has many variations and aspects all going by the same name.

And all of the Bum's books are worth buying.

[ Edited by: Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut 2008-07-06 13:10 ]

J

Sippin' Safari has all three known Donn Beach recipes, and they're all worth trying... definitely a must-have book.

C

I just placed an order for Sippin' Safari through Amazon. can't wait for Wednesday!

J

Something to keep you busy while you wait for AMZN to come through... last November, the NY Times did an article about the Bum, and they published the 1934 Zombie recipe -- which many of us think is the best of the three. Recipe here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/dining/286trex.html

The full article is here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/dining/28tiki.html

Enjoy!

I love the quote in that article that Beachbum Berry is "the Indiana Jones of Tiki drinks". Can't wait to try the Zombie Punch!

You did the right thing when ordering Sippin Safari.I think the 1934 recipe is the best.

Pages: 1 6 replies