Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

ebay: Vintage Kahlua Aztec Liquor Bottle

Pages: 1 18 replies

J
jthole posted on Wed, Jul 9, 2008 8:46 PM

My listing has been updated and corrected.
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZjthole

[ Edited by: jthole 2008-07-11 21:40 ]

You got Tiki from

The slightly smeared label on the back identifys (sic) the bottle as Kahlua Brandy, product of Mexico
?

You know Mexico isn't part of Polynesia/Tiki, yeah?

The bottle looks more Aztec, if not Native American.
Also, Kahlua does not come from the South Pacific.

Aaaah....after years and years of not having the power to do anything about the countless, annoying e-bay misstatements that are trying to ride on the Tiki wave, we finally can vent about it since this one is on our own turf! :D

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-10 14:14 ]

That bottle would be totally Tiki if it were somehow housed inside of a larger Tiki statue or figurine of some kind.??????? Whew.. You could fill it with absinthe and drink out of it while listening to Yma and jest sit back and think about how cool it was when Tikis built the pyramids..

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-07-10 12:25 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Fink 2008-07-10 12:28 ]

I always thought this would have made a great bong! Had one I picked up in my earlier tiki collecting days...gave it away... not tiki, I think moondog426 has now?

PTD

T

On 2008-07-10 12:25, Tiki Fink wrote:
..and think about how cool it was when Tikis built the pyramids..

How many times do I have to tell you people, aliens from outer space built the pyramids!! Which reminds me, where's my foil hat? :)

On 2008-07-10 08:36, christiki295 wrote:

To be fair, it's a common mistake: KAH-lua is a coffee liqour from Mexico. KA-lua means "to bake in an earth oven" in Hawaiian (see Kalua Pig). This naturally lead to confusion dating back even to the heyday of Tiki. While the Seattle KALUA ROOM got it right:

.. the KAHLUA APARTMENTS on Rosemead Blvd in L.A. didn't:

There is also the famous 60s Kahlua Strikow decanter which I call Tiki Modern because it spawned several re-applications in Tikidom (can't find the link where that was discussed recently).

Plus the Kahlua Company is the only liquor company who consistently, to this day, put out figurative theme liquor bottles, which are not Tiki, but still cool.

I thought you were referring to this great Pisco Moai bottle. He's tiki!

That aztec thing definitely does not belong in the tiki marketplace.
No worries though, it's a common mistake!

B

Check out that phone number on the matchbook. I remember having EMerson as our "call" letters, but there were still 5 numbers following - that one only has four. How old IS that matchbook? And damnit - how come that joint ain't around anymore?! Oh yeah, the replaced it with a Googie Mannings (Denny's) - which they tore down in a morning last week. Oh well.

J

My ebay auction has been updated to correct my listing errors.
Thank you for your comments.

Jeffery

[ Edited by: jthole 2008-07-11 21:46 ]

TT

On 2008-07-10 18:35, jthole wrote:
Please no more Jeffery bashing :). Some times I use both Tiki and Aztec as key words to attract more lookers to my auctions. I mean no offense to the hardcore Tiki collectors.

so why is it posted here?

TS

On 2008-07-10 18:35, jthole wrote:
Please no more Jeffery bashing :). Some times I use both Tiki and Aztec as key words to attract more lookers to my auctions. I mean no offense to the hardcore Tiki collectors.

Deliberately Misleading.....what ebay class you have! :roll:

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-07-10 18:56 ]

T

I remember having EMerson as our "call" letters, but there were still 5 numbers following - that one only has four.

Just as a completely off-topic sidebar, I did architectural work for Southwestern Bell for many years and at that time finally learned why our old phone numbers had those exchange names (like your "EM"/ Emerson prefix). It was actually the name of the equipment building where your particular phone line was terminated. So somewhere in your area there was a phone equipment building named "Emerson". You would not believe what the insides of those phone equipment buildings look like, it is astonishing what it takes to get your voice to travel across a phone line from point A to point B. Most people never get to see them because it is a high security environment.

And now to return to the main topic- seller bashing :wink:

jeffrey, you are lucky today. People are not being too mean. While "Tiki" has a lot of different designs and interpretations, aztec is usually not considered "Tiki". What you sell and how you word it on ebay is one thing but puting something that most consider not "Tiki" on this website can get you screwed,blued and tattooed. Double Posting can get you murdered. Be Forewarned (yeah the spelling is shit).

On 2008-07-10 14:11, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2008-07-10 08:36, christiki295 wrote:

To be fair, it's a common mistake: KAH-lua is a coffee liqour from Mexico. KA-lua means "to bake in an earth oven" in Hawaiian (see Kalua Pig). This naturally lead to confusion dating back even to the heyday of Tiki. While the Seattle KALUA ROOM got it right:
. . .
.. the KAHLUA APARTMENTS on Rosemead Blvd in L.A. didn't:

Thank you for the correction.

On 2008-07-10 22:04, mymotiki wrote:
jeffrey, you are lucky today. People are not being too mean. While "Tiki" has a lot of different designs and interpretations, aztec is usually not considered "Tiki". What you sell and how you word it on ebay is one thing but puting something that most consider not "Tiki" on this website can get you screwed,blued and tattooed. Double Posting can get you murdered. Be Forewarned (yeah the spelling is shit).

And quit swearing! This is a family web site, after all.

On 2008-07-10 22:04, mymotiki wrote:
**, you are lucky today. People are not being too mean. While {}has a lot of different designs and interpretations, []is usually not considered "{}". What you sell and how you word it on ebay is one thing but putting something that most consider not "{}" on this website can get you screwed,blued and tattooed. Double Posting can get you murdered.

Sad, but true. I dare you to find any web community that isn't the same. I took the specifics out of your quote to illustrate the point.

Z
Zeta posted on Tue, Aug 26, 2008 12:15 PM

The bottle is great anyway, the bottle cap is missing. I would file it under "almost tiki" or "Tiki Aztec". I do believe Aztecs and Polynesians influenced each other somehow, as Miguel Covarrubias pointed out on his trans cultural theory. Years after, Thor Heyerdahl tried to demonstrate it with his Kon-Tiki trip. Tikis and Aztecs (American Pre Hispanic art) look alike, Totems too. Not the same, but similar. It's all Art of the Pacific. Great and different to everything else.
Bigbrotiki: Gracias for showing us the difference between Kah-lua and Kalua. Another example of the trans cultural theory by similarities in the language.

Aloha amigos!

Z

Complete Tiki Spain

Pages: 1 18 replies