Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

That's one LIBERAL District Attorney

Pages: 1 11 replies

K

I thought all District Attorneys found their calling for the job at age 5 while watching their parents being brutally axed to death by a dark-skinned mentally retarded 13 year old.

Not this one.

Former 'Idol' contestant in deadly bar brawl
Thursday, March 6, 2003

FARRELL, Pennsylvania. (AP) -- An Ohio man booted off the Fox talent show "American Idol" in January has been charged with assault in a bar fight that resulted in a man's death.

Jaered N. Andrews, 24, of Austintown, Ohio, is charged with simple assault for allegedly punching a man in the face November 16 at the Blue Ribbon Grille in Farrell, about 60 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, near the Ohio state line.

Thomas E. Blakeley, 39, of Sharpsville, died when he fell and hit his head on the sidewalk after being punched, authorities said.

A Fox-TV official in Los Angeles declined to tell The Associated Press Wednesday why Andrews had been removed from the show. Andrews appeared on four episodes of the second season of "American Idol" and had reached the semifinals before he was kicked off.

A woman who answered the phone at Andrews' residence Wednesday said Andrews wouldn't comment and refused to say if he has an attorney.

Andrews told WKBN-TV of Youngstown, Ohio, last month that he thought he was dropped from the show for witnessing Blakeley's death. Andrews told the station he was celebrating his success on the show with some friends "when I happened to witness someone getting killed."

On Friday, Andrews turned himself in to authorities in Mercer County, where he faces a March 14 preliminary hearing. He remains free after posting $5,000 bond and could get up to a year in prison if he's convicted.

Mercer County District Attorney James Epstein said more serious charges aren't warranted because Andrews didn't intend to kill Blakeley.

Epstein said he doesn't expect to file additional charges against Andrews. Another man, Jerrold L. Allen, 31, of Sharon, was charged with aggravated assault.

For non tiki-talk:

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-03-27 11:48 ]

On 2003-03-07 07:06, kahukini wrote:
I thought all District Attorneys found their calling for the job for the job at age 5 while watching their parents being brutally axed to death by a dark-skinned mentally retarded 13 year old.

Kahukini, your humor is a bit racist. You don't wear any sheets down there in 'Bama' do you?

Oh, brother....no offense to Kahu or Bong, but puhleeeeze not another discussion on politics. I ran out of booze during that last one.

My post wasn't regarding 'politics', but rather common respect. A number of my good friends are 'dark skinned', and some of the best people one would ever know.

P.S. Basement K, you must have had enough booze yesterday to post another reply to Bigbro's 'Is this Politics or Art' thread (?)

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

PolyPop, your children have forgotten you!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-07 11:31 ]

E

Bong, I think kahukini was probably being sarcastic, spinning off a string of old cliches like that...that's my feeling anyway, hope I'm right.

aloha,
em

T

So let's perpetuate the cliches we find offensive by using them? How exactly does that distinguish one from those that use them to hurt?

Kahukini did start by saying "I thought", as in this is my reality.

'A thing of Tiki is a joy forever'

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - Hau'oli La Tiki!

PolyPop, your children have forgotten you!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-07 13:55 ]

Here we go again...

E

On 2003-03-07 13:53, Tiki_Bong wrote:
So let's perpetuate the cliches we find offensive by using them?[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2003-03-07 13:55 ]

Sorry Bong, I was out of line to step in on your turf that way, this is between you two.

aloha,
em.

T

Basement,

This isn't any posting war. My original reply was simply "I think your humor was a bit racist". It wasn't meant for you. It was just an observation of mine to Kahukini.

I'm not gonna change people's beliefs. Hell, if the Civil War couldn't change the South, I sure can't. Enough said!

K

Tiki-Bong, reading comprehension is a fundamental skill.

Let me decontruct my own prose. That sentence cleverly conveys the following thought:

I don't like District Attorneys. They are insanely conservative, to the degree that they will prosecute mentally retarded children, and as evidenced by numerous studies, are more likely to prosecute dark-skinned people more harshly than whites.

This particular district attorney is astoundingly prosecuting someone on the basis of what they INTENDED to do, rather what their actions actually resulted in. This is a very liberal approach. He obviously does not come from the mold of most District Attorneys whose overly zealous, perculiarly directed prosecutions could only be explained by intense childhood trauma, similar to that of watching one's parents being hacked to death.

So you see, I am condemning District Attorneys for being racist.

[ Edited by: kahukini on 2003-03-07 17:26 ]

Hell, if the Civil War couldn't change the South, I sure can't. Enough said!

...And you've obviously never been to the South. The Olympic South. All the charm of a small town with all the culture of the biggest cities. The South where more American Presidents come from than any other region of the country. Coincidence? No. This is 2003 (remember?).

So Kahukini,

How'd ya like havin' your chain yanked for a change?

Pages: 1 11 replies