Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki luau event and film series at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood

Pages: 1 18 replies

The American Cinematheque is hosting a Tiki film series/dinner/celebration entitled "Enchanted Tiki Luau Blowout" July 25-26 at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, CA!

Egyptian Theatre
6712 Hollywood Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Advance movie tickets can be purchased on http://www.fandango.com or at the theatre on the nights of the shows.

the information below can also be found here: http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Egyptian/Tiki_Weekend_2008.htm#FAIR%20WIND%20TO%20JAVA

Enchanted Tiki Luau Blow-Out
An Egyptian Theatre exclusive!

After the success of our Tiki events the past three summers, we're back again with more exotic ephemera: more fun feature films, diverting oddball shorts, vendors, food, music and more! We'll be showing old-school island adventure pics FAIR WIND TO JAVA, ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS and HER JUNGLE LOVE (all in gorgeously saturated color) will screen along with artist Kevin Kidney's collection of rare, island-themed TV surprises. Join us in the Egyptian's Courtyard for a Royal Southern California-style Luau with exotic musical entertainment from King Kukelele and his Friki Tikis and the Polynesian Paradise Dancers. There will also be Tiki vendors and other special surprises in the courtyard on Saturday from 1:00 PM until we shut it down.

Friday, July 25 – 7:30 PM

Tiki Double Feature:

FAIR WIND TO JAVA, 1953, Paramount, 92 min. Dir. Joseph Kane. Fred MacMurray, captain of a late 19th-century ship in the East Indies, makes like an early Indiana Jones searching for a sunken vessel laden with a fortune in diamonds. But he has to keep looking over his shoulder when cunning, bloodthirsty pirates, an angry volcano and last, but not least, a smitten native girl (Vera Ralston) start to gum up the works. Gorgeous color adventure antics in true Republic Pictures style. Preserved by UCLA with funds from the Film Foundation. More on this Movie! NOT ON DVD

ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS, 1941, Universal, 71 min. Dir. Alfred Santell. As a boy, native Jon Hall is sent to be educated in England. But he returns to his island home to stop a revolution and promptly falls into the arms of first love Dorothy Lamour. Although shot on Paramount backlots, the color cinematography was nominated for an Oscar, as were the special effects – a spectacular earthquake and erupting volcano put an exclamation point on the climactic finale. A kitschy remake of the silent classic. NOT ON DVD

Saturday, July 26 – 5:00 PM

LUAU DINNER Join us in the Egyptian Courtyard for a Royal Southern California-style Luau with live music from King Kukelele and his Friki Tikis, the Polynesian Paradise Dancers, vendors and a bountiful island-themed dinner.

On Saturday, July 26th you have 3 ticket options:

1. Movie Program Only (valid for 7:30 PM film on 7/26 only, regular film prices); 2) Luau Dinner Only: $22; 3) Movie Program, plus Luau: General: $29; Senior/Student: $27; Cinematheque Member: $26. *50 dinners will be sold at the door. To guarantee a dinner ticket please purchase in advance.

*50 dinners will be sold at the door. To guarantee a dinner ticket please purchase in advance.

Saturday, July 26 – 7:30 PM

Tiki Clip Show and Film

"Tiki on TV" Approx. 30 min. Watch seldom-seen Tiki TV classics presented by Los Angeles artist Kevin Kidney. Just as mainland Tiki restaurants and watering holes perfected the artifice of exotic environments, Hollywood's hills and backlots masqueraded as the island tropics for television viewers of the '50s and '60s. Filled with clip highlights from the shows themselves, Kevin's program will include never-before-seen images and fascinating ephemera -- and explore how these programs influenced other areas of midcentury American culture, from nightlife to travel.

HER JUNGLE LOVE, 1938, Universal, 81 min. Dir. George Archainbaud. Aviator Ray Milland and partner Lynne Overman are searching for a missing plane when they're marooned on what seems like a deserted island. Deserted -- except for the lovely Dorothy Lamour, who is a goddess to the natives of the adjoining isles and is soon being romanced by hero Milland. Neighboring native chief J. Carroll Naish hates white men and soon slots our heroes for sacrifice to crocodiles. But villain Naish doesn't count on having to deal with the obligatory erupting volcano. Supremely entertaining, in sumptuous color. More on this movie! NOT ON DVD

Hope to see all of you Tiki Central members there!

TS

Wish I wasnt working! This looks like a good event!

I'm really looking forward to this, every year is a blast. Its great to have a luau in the most unexpected place. In Hollywood just a few feet away from the old Don The Beachcomber and only a couple miles from the Tiki Ti.

To see photos of last years event:
http://www.americancinematheque.com/Gallery/TikiNight2007.htm

To see Kevin Kidney's blog:
http://miehana.blogspot.com/

Egyptian Theatre is located at 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, LA, CA 90028

AND
For those of you who don't know the history of this event I'll give you a bit:

Sunday, July 31, 2005
Our guests were author/filmmaker BeachBum Berry, we watched his film "Secret of Easter Island" on the big screen. 97- year old ukele wizard Bill Tapia (Clark Gable's & Shirley Temple's ukulele teacher) performed and answered questions. Kevin Kidney presented preshow short surprises in Tiki Cinema from his collection. We also screened a preview of “Armchair Travelling Through The World Of Tiki”, a new documentary DVD.
In the courtyard King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis performed with the Polynesian Paradise Dancers while dinner was served. Vendors included Crazy Al, Tiki Tony, Falling Cocos, Adrift Clothing
And the feature presentation was the very rarely seen BIRD OF PARADISE, 1951, 20th Century Fox/Criterion, 100 min. Starring Deborah Paget Louis Jourdan (GIGI) and Jeff Chandler

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Luau started with a screening of ENCHANTED ISLAND, 1958, Warner Brothers, 93 min. "He dared to love a cannibal princess!" starring Dana Andrews
King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis sang and the Polynesian Paradise Dancers danced, everyone ate while the vendors Crazy Al, Tiki Tony, Tiki Diablo, Adrift Clothing, "Dumb Angel" Magazine authors Dominic Priore and Brian Chidister, Falling Cocos, presented their wares. The incomparable Kevin Kidney presented "Blue Hawaii-themed" short films from his collection. Darlene Tomkins who played Patsy Simon in BLUE HAWAII introduced
BLUE HAWAII, 1961, Paramount, 101 min.

Friday July 6 - Sunday July 8,  2007

Enchanted Tiki & Luau Weekend
began on Friday night with the screening of the epic HAWAII 1966, MGM Repertory, 161 min. starring Julie Andrews. Our Saturday program included a special presentation by our friend the multifaceted artist Kevin Kidney screening selections of his spectacular collection of rare, island-themed episodic TV. The Polynesian Paradise Dancers returned to join King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis once again. Dinner was served while the courtyard of the Egyptian was filled with vendors like Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo, Tiki Tony, Falling Cocos, and Adrift Clothing.

Shag appeared with documentary filmmaker Mark Chervinsky creator of THE SOPHISTICATED MISFIT. This was followed by the film HIS MAJESTY O’KEEFE.

Sunday featured the film
MISS SADIE THOMPSON, starring Rita Hayworth which was originally shot in 3-D!

To see the Egyptian Schedule:
http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Egyptian/Tiki_Weekend_2008.htm

JB

Thanks Joe! I love that picture. Its hard to get shots at the Egyptian that LOOK like they were taken at the Egyptian. I like that whole look of Black and White, circa 1922, "We just discovered King Tut's tomb so LET'S HAVE A LUAU !!"

HEY! How come Tom Slick can't work AND make it to the Luau. They say the Thunderbolt Greeseslapper can go 0-100 in 3 seconds flat. Maybe we should work on helping you get fired!

This was fun last year, I think I'll go again !

Thanks for coming last year Tikiyaki! We hope you can make it back.

You should check the American Cinematheques photo link, you may be there.
See you soon.

T

On 2008-07-24 16:25, King Kukulele wrote:
Thanks for coming last year Tikiyaki! We hope you can make it back.

You should check the American Cinematheques photo link, you may be there.
See you soon.

I'm not....Oh well. See ya on Saturday. Will you have the same Freaky Tiki lineup as last year...vibes and all ?

Alright, who all is going to this crazy event?

We will be there with our tiki bling!

Jen

BLING! Awesome

T

Hey Skinny Dog Jen! I'll be selling there too. I'll have paintings, plus several new tiki items that, well, aren't paintings...

It was great meeting you at the Tiki Freakout show, looking forward to seeing you and Scott again!

M

SWANGULO DESIGN will be there with our "STONE PRIMITIVE BLING" and such. Look forward to seeing everyone. This will be the last event we do before..."OASIS 08"

Looking forward to the King's antics and some good food and movies!!!

Hey Guys

Have a great time tonight. Unfortunately Scott and I have had to pull out of this event.

Jen

See you all there its going to be an amazing night in Hollywood!

Hey kids!

Who's gong tonight?

We can't make the luau, but are hoping to make it out for the Kevin Kidney presentation and the movie!

This should be a lot of fun! :)

~Atomikitty

T

Luau was fun.

The Kevin Kidney presentation was, as usual...GRRRREAAAT !

Arthur Lyman performing "Bwana A" on Hawaiian Eye...Priceless.

Thanx Kevin for putting together such a great show of classic,rare tv clips.

I know, those opening shots for Bwana-E, on that huge screen, amazing! And to see a young, natural Dorothy Lamour in that pristine Technicolor print for the first time brought home to me what her appeal must have been in her heyday. She WAS the quintessential island girl!

Pages: 1 18 replies