Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Lounge/ Tiki / etc radio

Pages: 1 4 replies

Greetings - my first post here. I've been a long time lurker and figured it was about time I joined in!

I'm 27 - work full time in radio, actually I host a morning show on an active rock station.

Most people are surprised to learn that my favorite genre is the entire space age/lounge/tiki/etc world of music. Trust me, I love my alternative and active rock almost as much, but it lacks the soul and good feeling that the atomic age represents!

I've actually been hired by an upstart company as a program director to launch a "narrowcasting" service. Basically it is audio channels that are micro focused on a specific audience. Our goal is to provide a web based radio service to people who are grossly under-served by traditional radio or even satellite radio for that matter. Our first two channels that we are launching in the near future are Alpha Beta Radio - Alternative A-Z (www.alphabetaradio.com). Although there is plenty of alternative out there, most of it tends to be "hit based" or "too weird" in terms of the newer stuff. Alpha Beta will be programed with the music in mind - if it was a single in alternative radio at one time and a good song we'll play it. Sounds fairly basic but nobody does that - and it's a shame!

Also a shame is that there really aren't enough sources of "Space Age Pop" - an umbrella term for Exotica, Lounge, Cocktail, Hawaiian, Space-Age, Surf, Rockabilly, Swing, Tiki etc as described by the header of this forum. Our other upstart channel is going to be just that. It's called Space Age Lounge (www.spaceagelounge.com) and within the next few months we are gearing up to get it on the "air". We are planning on making the service available to anyone that can access the internet - either via laptop, cellphone, or even WiFi radio that is on it's way to the car very soon. We also plan on providing the service as an HD radio service as well.

I finally decided to register and post because I'd like some guidance from the very people we're expecting to enjoy this! When XM launched On The Rock I really enjoyed it - but once the pulled that channel and made it online only I discontinued my subscription to XM. I've seen some criticism of the channel on these very boards as well as praise. I'd like to know what you liked or disliked about it.

I also have two other questions - one being the music. I've collected a rather large library of songs, however before we launch our library goal is to have at least 3,100 titles - this will allow us to really have a library that avoids repetition. Our budget is small because as a startup we have to really spend as little as possible. For the alternative side it was easy - they make music libraries that come on a hard drive- and we got one cheap! I also have a large collection of albums so that has helped us with that particular station but for this one I'm going to need multiple sources. I'm happy to take contributions of music you may have digitized either via web, ftp (we're setting that up soon), or mail. The way I look at it is that if the music is coming from people that we want to enjoy our service, it'll make it so much better! Hell - if you have an idea for a speciality show or would like to try your hand at hosting one we are VERY OPEN to that.

My final question - I've been trying to compile a list of companies that serve this audience via products, conventions, social groups, publications, etc. Although the audio stream will be commercial free, we plan on focusing advertising to the web component of the station - ie: the website and the stream window. I have started a pretty good list, but again talking to those that love this lifestyle I think is the best way to go!

I'll have some other questions soon about things like what you'd like the site to offer in terms of information and interactive elements and other factors so that we can do this right and make it something great instead of just good!

Check out everything by Vegas Vic on Live365 internet radio.

He is the best DJ/Mixmaster that there will ever be for this genre of music.
There's no way that you or anybody else could ever be as good as VV.

Good luck!

Hey good to see another radio guy on the forum, I work in commercial radio here in Sydney at a soft AC station....hate the music there, dig working in radio though.

I do a podcast that is lounge and exotica that you might dig...it's called the Cocktail Nation....check it out at http://www.cocktailnation.podomatic.com

Just recently the show has started being picked up by some regional radio stations and soon a Asian/Australian network.

Tiki Champagne: I love what Vegas Vic does - certainly a fine job! Once we get this up and rolling I intend to contact him to see if he's interested in doing a weekly show for our station. We've already begin working out a few deals with public stations to carry our stream on their HD2/HD3 channel!

koopkooper: Hello from Radioland!!! We have a soft AC in our cluster here and being the rock station we cooked food on the hood of their van one morning when the temp was nearing 100 degrees. Most of them hate the Soft AC music too - and would better suited on our station - and they found it funny. The geezer PD on the other hand wasn't amused. We took it to the car wash afterward!

Your show is great! I've downloaded a few episodes now... our contracts make us work every other Saturday live on the air but instead of the morning show we do a new music show. We don't want to be here on the weekend so it's a great time to listen to some good tiki-pod! I'm going to listen more when I get home though... however I do love it! Kudos! This is exactly the kind of content we'll want to add to our line up - listener and fans of the music generated content. Although physically located in downtown Albany, NY the internet makes us global and therefore we are located wherever you are listening - and we plan to run it that way!

Can you email me your contact info so I can keep that on file to talk about carrying your show? my email is in my profile. And if Vic reads this board - please do the same, if you're interested that is, which I hope you guys are!

Again if you have any music that is digitized and of higher quality bit-rate I'd be happy to accept submissions er uh "donations" haha!

IZ

Hi Sonic Atomic,

Sounds like an awesome plan you have here. I hope it turns out. More venues for this kinda music is definitely needed!

Pretty much my whole radio show consists of the genres you discuss. Hope you can catch it sometime. For streaming audio and playlists/info, see http://www.jetsetplanet.com. We broadcast out of an independent station here in Minneapolis, MN -- KFAI.

In about a month, our archives are getting a big upgrade. Our shows will be archived in 128k streaming MP3 (right now we have only 56k real audio file archives). The DJs will have access to high quality MP3 copies of their shows. YEA! So we're excited about that.

Good luck with your venture. If you like what I do, and need additional programming, perhaps you'd be interested in Jet Set Planet.

And of course you are always welcome to use any of the LP downloads at our blog. We post on average about every 10 days or so. http://www.higherthanfi.blogspot.com

I, Zombie

p.s. I LOVE Last Vestige music in Albany. Loads of quality vinyl.

[ Edited by: I, Zombie 2008-07-12 14:24 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies