Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Wierd vintage tiki I found in someones front yard Ventura

Pages: 1 15 replies

T

While on a house hunt in a funky part of Camarillo in Ventura County, I noticed a house with no less than 20 mexican fan palms that were about 5 stories high on a smallish house lot.

I scared the crap out of my wife (Just married 2 weeks ago) when I slammed on the brakes and squeeled, "TIKI". Being a good wife, she slapped me on the arm, as I reversed it, and snapped these photos.

Looks like in the backyard, there might be a tiki hut, but I'm gonna have to call in Bongofury for backup on this one.

Probably not the original owners there now, but by the looks of it, the tiki is aged a bit. Probably whoever planted the mexican fan palms 40 years ago carved it, or collected it.

I'd talk to them about it. It looks like it has been set out to be taken to the dump or something.
It very well may need old school "tiki mantra" liberation.
Cool find.

Hey Tony, I did the same thing to my wife and kids a couple years ago down in Oceanside....."TIKI".......quick u-turn.
Looks like a telephone pole from the pic.
Keep on sleuthing.
Congratulations on the marriage. You'll find that marital bliss is a lot like a high-wire balancing act.

Holy crap man! You've got like Six-Million Dollar Man Bionic Vision and shit!!
Way to go on the find, hope you can uncover some more.
Aloha,
:tiki:

T

I thought Bongofury would have already gone to recover it, but he hasn't posted? I'll go by tommorow and if the owner's willing to let it go, I've got a new vintage tiki!

Ha Ha, bionic vision... I usually slam on my brakes for a crow or pigeon sitting on a plastic owl, so this was a real treat for my brakes! I wonder if the crate looking thing was tropical decor too! Maybe its filled with BeachComber lamps, fish floats, net, and rum barrels.

Yes!! What's in the box that Tiki looks over!

M

probably something cool! tiki tiki.

I'm not sure where that is......Old Town? The houses behind Goodwill?
I have not had a chance to go out. Trying to get ready for the "Endless
Summer" hint hint.....I'll need your help....Enjoy your new find. Don't
forget to call new daddy SuburbanPagan for the house hunt.....

Bongofury, I guess you don't read your email anymore... the treasure map was sent to you, but its on Barry St. about half way from the Arneil and Lewis I think. Just look for way too many Mexican Fan palms on one lot about 5 stories high.

Oh yeah, Suburban Pagan!

I'll see ya soon, I forgot about those posts you need carved!

Endless Summer at the Rincon Room!!!

N

On 2008-07-16 22:51, tikitony wrote:
Bongofury, I guess you don't read your email anymore... the treasure map was sent to you, but its on Barry St. about half way from the Arneil and Lewis I think. Just look for way too many Mexican Fan palms on one lot about 5 stories high.

Yeesh! I drive on Barry practically every freakin' day and I've never noticed it. I blaim the eye-rattling humps.

TT

Looks like a fence post to me..

On 2008-07-18 19:49, Tiki Trav wrote:
Looks like a fence post to me..

It probably was a fence post. You can see where the upper and lower stringers may have been attached.

Any update on this yet?

T

I went by yesterday to show some friends... its actually a little more dimensional than it looks from the front. From the side, its quite bizarre and good at the same time. I'm gonna swing by to see if I can get any more info and purchase it from them, or trade for one of my tikis. I'd like to think that this was the tiki that I saw as a kid which started it all for me. I played little league baseball right down the street when I was a kid, maybe I passed it and won the Home Run Derby when I was 14 on the same day?. My Mom worked right around the corner until I was 15, and took one of my first dates from a dance to the Dukes that was right down the street (no longer there). They had this burrito called the Burger-Burrito that I've never had anything like ever again... and I guess I never will because it must have had red meat in it.

Its one of the most peculiar tikis I've ever seen. Carving straight lines like this on a round log is definitely not natural or easy. The carver must have had wood working experience, but probably didn't carve too many of these. Maybe its a left over from the Trade Winds in Oxnard? Either way, I better do something before it ends up airbrushed like the Milan Tikis, or used as firewood.

doesn't look remotely like any tiki...just an old post that used to have a wooden sign attached to it....now that the sign is removed, it exposes the areas where it was connected....

i ain't buyin' it...but i will gladly eat my hat if you prove me wrong...get us more pictures of it...

T

On 2008-09-01 13:01, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

doesn't look remotely like any tiki...just an old post that used to have a wooden sign attached to it....now that the sign is removed, it exposes the areas where it was connected....

I agree that it does not look remotely tiki, but it does appear to be intentionally carved at least in part. There is a keyhole shape at the top that looks deliberate and there are remnants of some decorative paint on it (it doesn't appear the whole thing was painted, but that certain details were). I'm guessing some hippy decided to have at an old post after partaking of some illegal substances many years ago :)

Pages: 1 15 replies