Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Forest Lawn Museum Mailing List - "In Search Of Tiki" invite

Pages: 1 2 72 replies

Anyone have any theories/info on how the mailing list was established?

On 2008-07-14 18:23, Aloha John wrote:

The copied down names from the headstones?

Sorry...couldn't resist.

I don't know but I wonder if Otto helped, not that I mind either, it's a nice collectible.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Jul 14, 2008 8:31 PM

Nice SHAG art in the invite. GROG wonder if they will have a print or poster for sale.

Woohoo! Received my invite today :)

I hope they checked with Big Tiki Dude first. :o

H

Hmmm,

Name
TC Name
Address

I bet Holden has something to do with this.

they had my home address on the invite....

had to be someone that we provided our address to...

tikimag?

Oasis?

I agree the invite is nice, and the event looks like something worth checking out...

But I don't like receiving unsoliciated mail at work. I only use my work address when I order stuff, so I don't think it's TC, T.O./Otto, or Tiki Mag related. It's not a big deal, I see there is an email address for the museum in the invite, I'll just email them and ask them to remove that address. We received one at home too with Hilary's name on it.

I just would hope that if someone in the tiki community is helping put together a mailing list for something like this, and they see a company name on the address that they wouldn't assume it's ok to send unsoliciated stuff like this.

I know I sound uptight, but the list of rules I bend at work has been consolidated to only the important ones, and there ain't room on the list for getting "junk mail"! :wink:

[ Edited by: Aloha John 2008-07-14 22:26 ]

Probably got them from artist/gallery mailing lists. Consider the sources. Did you ever sign up at Oceanic Arts or the Leroy Schmaltz show in Whittier? Copro Nason Gallery? Barracuda magazine? Shagmart? Any affiliation with the participating artist's would put you on a mailing list? You probably signed up somewhere and the list was forwarded with the artist. Consider yourself elite...not spammed. I mean, you're going anyway, right???

I heard they got the mailing list from people that belong to leatherboy.com

Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that we made "the list", I just want to make sure my work address is removed from "the list". I would NEVER have written my work address down on a mailing list. All my magazines/gallery type stuff comes to the house.

Never been to leatherboy.com, until just now...I swear! :wink:

I don't want to make a big deal about this...

I got an invitation way up here in NorCal! I don't mind being included in a cool event like this, but can't make it down there. Bet the invitation will be selling on eBay for $5.00 soon.

Grog right... If a poster is being offered, similar to the graphic inside the invitation, that would be great. I would love to get one!

Mahalo,
Myke

RR

A friend got one that isn't in the tiki scene except for ordering mugs from Tiki Farm.

A

On 2008-07-15 11:23, Rob Roy wrote:
A friend got one that isn't in the tiki scene except for ordering mugs from Tiki Farm.

That would make sense since that's about the only tiki related business that would have my address.

But why is a tiki event in a cemetery? Is the tiki fad dead once again? :wink:

Why would anybody be so worried about getting mail? I have not got one but if I did at work or at home I would probably look at it and go Hmmmm and go about my day as if nothing happend. Hope this helps.

On 2008-07-14 20:50, Bora Boris wrote:
I hope they checked with Big Tiki Dude first. :o

No they didn't , but I got an invite in the mail too???
and there is nothing on my calendar, so I will Prob. be there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

*On 2008-07-15 13:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:*Hope this helps.

i am helped.

C

hmmmm, I haven't got anything yet. Sounds interesting though

T

My understanding is that American Express customers within the demographic were sent the invites.

R

I'm sorry it was me. I also gave them the "OK" to add everyone as "friends" on the Forest Lawn MySpace page.

I just thought that we could all be friends.

On 2008-07-14 20:57, Hakalugi wrote:

Hmmm,

Name
TC Name
Address

I bet Holden has something to do with this.

Anybody whose ordered a mug from Tiki Farm within reasonable to semi-reasonable driving distance will get an invite. This is a 1x mailing - no list has been created. It was the best way I knew to help out & ensure that the people who would want to see the show would get invited as it is indeed invite only.

Holden- thanks for the clarification. I began to think those that suggested it may be Tiki Farm related were right, because I have received tiki stuff at work from only a couple sources.

My intent of this post wasn't to wave my finger at anyone, it was simply to find out who made the invite list so I could make sure I don't get more stuff. One item won't get me in any trouble. Now I am sorry I even asked on here.

On 2008-07-15 13:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Why would anybody be so worried about getting mail? I have not got one but if I did at work or at home I would probably look at it and go Hmmmm and go about my day as if nothing happend. Hope this helps.

Actually your comment didn't help. I am not "so worried about getting mail". Since you don't work at my work I wouldn't expect you, or anyone else, to understand my feelings. The owner of my company distributes the mail and I just don't like getting unsoliciated mail at work, and wanted to know how I got it so I could make sure I don't get more...that's it. I ain't mad about it. For the third time, it's not a big deal.

Hopefully we can make it out so you can all make fun of me in person. :blush: :wink:

H

Holden, aren't you cute. thanks for the info, now WE KNOW THE TRUTH. We can all relax. phew....

R

On 2008-07-15 18:51, Aloha John wrote:

On 2008-07-15 13:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:

Actually your comment didn't help. I am not "so worried about getting mail". Since you don't work at my work I wouldn't expect you, or anyone else, to understand my feelings. The owner of my company distributes the mail and I just don't like getting unsoliciated mail at work, and wanted to know how I got it so I could make sure I don't get more...that's it. I ain't mad about it. For the third time, it's not a big deal.

Hopefully we can make it out so you can all make fun of me in person. :blush: :wink:

Sounds to me like maybe you shouldn't be ordering tiki mugs at work then? Or any other "non-business shit" if it is such a problem. I say if you don't want your info out there, might be better to not give out that info on the internet. It is a BIG, SCARY place!!!

That being said, I think it is very cool that Holden would share his "client list" with an event that is geared for "us" and that I know I am happy to be invited to. I'm sure that there are several "tiki peeps" out there that are saying, "I wish I would get an invite!"

Hope that helps.

[ Edited by: Riptide 2008-07-15 21:53 ]

V

I kinda figured that it was either Tiki Farm or Oceanic Arts since they are the only ones with my home address. Since I plan to be off work that week, I guess I'll check it out.

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.