Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

eBay: WITCO Tiki Swag Lamp!

Pages: 1 41 replies

TS

It's not my auction, and since I will not be able to afford this, I'd rather see a TC'er get dibs on this beauty! It truly is an incredible piece!, Sven, It's calling to you! :lol:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=300241798637

That's obviously not going to go for $9.99. Any guesses as to what the winning bid will be?

I hear it now! : :music:...Wiiiiit--coooo...Wiiiiit--coooo! :music:

Luckily, I do not feel the need to OWN every piece out there. I made sure I got what I wanted before the damn book came out, and now it has to be a deal or a surprise that makes me go for it. This lamp would almost stand out more in a Witco free corner, by itself.

This is a fine specimen, in good condition, pictured in several catalog photos in Tiki Modern. It will go up there...but be warned, that baby is HUGE, the shipping alone will kill ya. Ken makes very nice repros of it, too, as you can see in Tiki Modern.

Hope a TCer gets it, too.

T

Wow, over 150 bucks already and the reserve hasn't been met yet. Anyone know what the side panels are made out of? Are they translucent plastic? Just curious.

Here are the auction pictures for that future time that someone runs across this thread after the eBay link is dead:

And the auction description:

Description: Fantastic vintage pendant lamp by Witco in excellent condition! Several Witco pieces on auction this week! See our other listings!

Dimensions: 17" long x 17" deep x 23.5" tall

Condition: Excellent! Absolutely no scratches, cracks, chips, loose parts, other issues. Works beautifully. AWESOME!

..for what this will sell for, you could probably get ken pleasant to make you the same lamp for less than the winning bid on this will be....if anyone isn't hung up on the fact ken's lamp, though identical in look, will not actually be vintage, then i suggest supporting ken pleasant as opposed to some annonymous seller on ebay....just a thought.

all I can say.. is that the reserve is HIGHER than $225

its not my auction...I WAS one of the bidders.

That lamp is a real beauty!!!

On 2008-07-15 10:01, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

..for what this will sell for, you could probably get ken pleasant to make you the same lamp for less than the winning bid on this will be....if anyone isn't hung up on the fact ken's lamp, though identical in look, will not actually be vintage, then i suggest supporting ken pleasant as opposed to some annonymous seller on ebay....just a thought.

I don't think Ken is doing commissions is he? I seem to remember reading in his posts that he has been too busy with his full-time job. Ken's work is outstanding, I have a big marlin he did and the finish on it is incredible! Hopefully he can free up enough time in the future to start doing commissions again, I would certainly like to order up some pieces :)

Good stinkin' thinkin' TikiTres. I hate it when you find a good tread but the e-bay link is long since dead and now there's no picture.

T

tres,
they are made of a Red, Opaque plastic.

On 2008-07-15 12:40, TikiTres wrote:

On 2008-07-15 10:01, Tipsy McStagger wrote:

I don't think Ken is doing commissions is he? I seem to remember reading in his posts that he has been too busy with his full-time job. Ken's work is outstanding, I have a big marlin he did and the finish on it is incredible! Hopefully he can free up enough time in the future to start doing commissions again, I would certainly like to order up some pieces :)

..you may be right..but last i heard, the economy really sucked ...but a job is a job and everyone, including ken, can always use some more work....i'm sure ken would appreciate the extra "tax free" dollars in his pocket as well....you may want to contact him and see...and if you are in no hurry to get it, that would leave ken more time to work on it when the demands of his full time gig aren't upon him...but ask him...ya never know....what was true a month ago may no longer apply today...

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-15 14:39 ]

T

Thanks MadDog, that always drives me crazy too :)

Turbogod, thanks for the info!

Tipsy, good idea, I'll send him a note. I've read a lot of his old posts due to interest in his work. He moved a while back with the hopes of doing more carving, but then he started working a lot of OT at his full time job and had to back off the carving. He hasn't been posting much lately. He's got some crazy talent, maybe if we all start bugging him he'll have to quit his day job to make goodies for us :D

EDIT- I saw the below message on Ken's web site, I think this is where I got the impression he wasn't doing commissions:

"Custom Orders

Currently we are not taking any custom orders. If an item doesn't have a sold sign it is available for purchase. Ken's carvings take alot of time and care to create. Check frequently as we will be adding them to the website as they become available. Thank you . "

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-07-15 21:35 ]

T

The reserve has been met at 250. With shipping that works out to 348 bucks and it ain't over yet. It's a nice lamp, but that's a whole lotta Mai Tais!

D

it doesnt hurt to ask Ken to put you on his list! i know in the summer, he travels for work, and doesnt have as much time to carve ~ but in the dreary PNW Winters... he'll work on carving!

If you're local to so cal,

you could come here and see what surprises

Ken and Heather bring!

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28590&forum=17&10

If you're not local......

Wait for the pics and contact a so cal local TCer to purchase
and ship for ya!

Support Ken and Heather anyway YOU can!

They're keeping the tradition alive!

K

That is a cool lamp, sorry for the late reply. I carved one of these lamps a while back and it sold about a month ago on my website. Like Dogbytes says I work a lot in the summer and have more free time in the winter. As for commissions. I cant keep up and hate to make people wait months for something they order. At the moment I am working on 7-8 items for the pre - Oasis art reception @ Bamboo Ben w/ Flounder and the Pleasants. I should have pictures soon. Many thanks for the comments and support. When things slow down I will start doing commissions again.

TS

1 hour left, and it hit way over what i was guessing....by about a Franky(since the shipping is 2 pennies shy of a Franklin!

T

Closed at 521, with shipping that's a crisp 619 bucks. It looks like Ken needs to charge more for his renditions :)

Ken glad to hear you can maybe squeeze some commissions in later this year. Hopefully by then my account will have recovered from my Bosko order :D

absolutely not...what makes ken's stuff cool is that he doesn't take advantage of us by marking his stuff up just because a vintage piece sold for a higher amount on ebay,,remember, the stuff on ebay is old and vintage..and that is what you are paying for....ken's stuff is new..i actually prefer ken's stuff to the original witco for the simple fact that 1) it is new and 2) ken's an artist in his own right and i feel that if i have a piece from him, it's a piece of art as well.....

think, tikitres...what the hell is the point of supporting ken if he raises his prices to be the same as ebay??? if that were the case then let's all buy witco off ebay, right......what would be the point?

T

Chill dude, it was tongue-in-cheek (thus the smiley after the statement). No need to rant. However, I personally feel that a lot of artists here on TC are not getting nearly enough for their creations. I don't think most people realize the effort (not to mention materials) that goes into one-off custom creations. Do I think Ken should charge 600 bucks for his light fixtures? Of course not, that's an absurd price to pay even for an original Witco.

[ Edited by: TikiTres 2008-07-24 08:09 ]

Derek, you are such a committed craftsman! I think we all deserve to get rich from our passion, really.....but then again, we ARE --by having that passion. Aaaaaaaw! :)

TS

Nice lamp MM! I think its better than the witco one that just sold for all that dough. The poor seahorse though! haha :lol: :P

Hi there !

There's a new kid on the block... I'm from Paris and I join to share this crazy passion with you guys...
Yes, I'm this fool who just ruined himself with this Witco beauty ! I know it's a lot of bucks but hey, we don't find many pieces like this in France (no one actually)...
This would be my second vintage trophy (I also get a nice Mainlander mug), and I'm proud to represent tiki in this country where people eat frogs, snails & other strange stuff :D
The thing is (but perhaps you don't know) that, today, $600 means 400 euros, so maybe it's not such a bad deal...
Please don't hate me for "stealing" these gems from you, as I've always been attracted by American style & Polynesian pop.
I did my military service in Tahiti (which is still a french territory) and maybe that's where I get the :tiki: fever...

welocome !!

and no need to apologize....there's plenty of tiki to go around and so much more for you to buy!!....and yes, $400 is more like it....that seems like a good price but the shipping is gonna break you!!!

enjoy the lamp!! it's a beauty!

" measuring destroys art!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-07-25 05:14 ]

B

Thanks Tipsy !
Yep, I'm prepared to be knocked down with the shipping, I knew it before bidding... but I wanted it sooo much ! And now that it's mine, I just can't wait to see it at home...
Oh, I have a question : does anybody know where to find scans of Witco catalogs (any years) ?...

Hey Brice_lu, welcome to TC, great buy on the lamp, are you going to use the Greyhound Delivery method offered by the seller?

On 2008-07-25 05:27, brice_lu wrote:
Thanks Tipsy !
Yep, I'm prepared to be knocked down with the shipping, I knew it before bidding... but I wanted it sooo much ! And now that it's mine, I just can't wait to see it at home...
Oh, I have a question : does anybody know where to find scans of Witco catalogs (any years) ?...

you must seek audience with the "ayatollah of witco rockandrolla" -the one and only fabulous sven kirsten of tiki modern fame....round here we just call him bigbrotiki...he may have some old catalogs floatin around but also do a search here on tiki central and you will find many examples of witco both old and new...

I am glad that such a fine piece is leaving for the old world, especially to such a cultured city as Paris. In recent times the Getty has been envied by European art academics for being able to spend top dollar for rare European artifacts and making them leave the continent, and the Huntington Library here has done the same with one-of-kind documents and scriptures, so this is only a fair reversal of the trend.

I am not so sure that I am comfortable with that moniker, Typsy, but, while I try my darndest to answer questions about Witco here (together with Keigs), I cannot go as far as starting to scan catalogs, or I would sit here all day. And y'all DO want more of my books, dont'cha?

B

Ok guys, thanks for the warm welcome (I must be the only frenchie on the spot, am I wrong ?)...

Bananabobs :
I dunno yet for the Greyhound, I have to call the seller to talk about it, but I don't think these buses can drive so far away :)...

Tipsy :
Thanks for the advice, I was hoping Bigbro would hear my voice...

"Master" Kirsten :
Nice to hear from you... ok, I was expecting such answer, I understand. I'm gonna try to catch original catalogs, then, are they that hard to find ?... And don't worry, I'll keep going buying your books of course !

On 2008-07-25 09:12, brice_lu wrote:
Ok guys, thanks for the warm welcome (I must be the only frenchie on the spot, am I wrong ?)...

There's this guy virani, been around these parts since way back in '03!

On 2008-07-25 09:12, brice_lu wrote:

Virani has been into Tiki for many years now and has crossed the ocean many times for the Hukilau event.

I'm sure he will chime in soon!!

Oui, Oui!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

On 2008-07-25 08:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am glad that such a fine piece is leaving for the old world, especially to such a cultured city as Paris. In recent times the Getty has been envied by European art academics for being able to spend top dollar for rare European artifacts and making them leave the continent, and the Huntington Library here has done the same with one-of-kind documents and scriptures, so this is only a fair reversal of the trend.

I am not so sure that I am comfortable with that moniker, Typsy, but, while I try my darndest to answer questions about Witco here (together with Keigs), I cannot go as far as starting to scan catalogs, or I would sit here all day. And y'all DO want more of my books, dont'cha?

....certainly you must realize that it was in jest....believe me, i could write my own book about the number of monikers folks have labeled me here on t.c. that would make someone other than myself truly uncomfortable...

Of course, Dave. I just forgot to end my sentence with that obligatory " laugh track of internet communication, the :) !

T

Brice, congrats on the lamp, and as you mentioned you guys are certainly ahead of the game right now on exchange rate, might as well take advantage of it while you can :)

On 2008-07-25 06:41, bananabobs wrote:
Hey Brice_lu, welcome to TC, great buy on the lamp, are you going to use the Greyhound Delivery method offered by the seller?

I know that was in jest since Brice is overseas, but I'm on a quest to warn everyone of the evils of Greyhound shipping- I had heard the horror stories and finally fell victim to it myself. A tiki bar I bought about 3 months ago has not yet arrived (and I don't expect it to at this point). DON'T USE GREYHOUND!! I did get my money back, but I rather would have had the bar!

MT

I personally would love to see a Greyhound Bus that could make that voyage to Paris. :) (note the obligatory "laugh track of internet communication").

Awesome lamp, btw. It will be worth the hassle of shipping to France.

B

Thanx TikiTres,

I just talked to the seller, lamp will be shipped with BAX global (too big for USPS), and total price is finally a little less than 500 euros.
I feel sorry for your tiki bar, but I'm sure you'll get one (even better) soon or later ! I wish I could find one too some day, but I got to get rich first ! (Can't imagine the shipping for a bar & stools)...

... and, uh... could you explain the meaning of "to be in jest" ?... (Yes, still learnin')...

T

On 2008-07-26 03:50, brice_lu wrote:
Thanx TikiTres,

I just talked to the seller, lamp will be shipped with BAX global (too big for USPS), and total price is finally a little less than 500 euros.
I feel sorry for your tiki bar, but I'm sure you'll get one (even better) soon or later ! I wish I could find one too some day, but I got to get rich first ! (Can't imagine the shipping for a bar & stools)...

... and, uh... could you explain the meaning of "to be in jest" ?... (Yes, still learnin')...

Well for someone who is just learning, your English is quite good! "in jest" means "joking about". When he asked if you were going to use Greyhound shipping he was kidding because Greyhound ships by bus within the US only. Greyhound is the biggest bus system here in the US- when people ship by Greyhound the item is placed in the cargo area on a passenger bus and it travels to the destination with passengers. Depending on how far the two parties are the item can be transferred to different buses several times which increases the liklihood of it getting lost along the way. Also Greyhound has absolutely no tracking system and most of the destination stops are just regular stop-and-go type convenience stores who could care less about receiving packages. Greyhound is the cheapest way to ship large objects, but it's also the most risky way to ship.

B
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.