Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Ti this week 7/15/08 - what to drink, best time to go?

Pages: 1 17 replies

MH

yo from mr. ho!

i am out from boston for a music conference in LA this week and luckily, not far from this Tiki Ti joint I have heard about. Curious to know if there are any routine get togethers here, what the best drinks are, and/or best nights to go? My only options are tonight, tomorrow, and thursday evening.

mahalo for tips!

Mr. Ho

http://www.orchestrotica.com

P

Tiki Ti is open Wednesday through Saturday from 4PM to 2AM. It is closed Sunday through Tuesday.

Regular TC gatherings do not happen there much anymore. Wednesday night was the traditional TC night. Thursday night is typically the least crowded.

If going on Wednesday, get there before 9 to get the $5 Ray's Mistake special. If you have only one drink at Tiki Ti, that one drink should be a Ray's Mistake. Other drinks are pretty much all good and everyone has their favorites. Many of the drinks are Don the Beachcomber classics, such as the Zombie and the Missionary's Downfall. My personal recommendation list:

• Ray's Mistake
  • Zombie
  • Bayanihan
  • Suffering "B"
  • Jim's Special
  • Blood and Sand (Toro Toro!)
  • 151 Rum Swizzle
  • Dark and Stormy
  • Great White Shark
  • Head Hunter's Kula

I do not recommend attempting to take all of these on in one night (some of them are pretty strong!)

If you want to meet up with some TC'ers there, best to just post when you plan to be there on this or on the official "Wednesday Night at Tiki Ti" thread and there is a good chance that you'll get somebody to turn up.

Tonight: BAD, because closed

Wednesday: GOOD. Early, when its not too crowded. They open at 6:00, so between 6 and 7 is a good time to still find a seat. I might be there, Miles, some other TC folk.

Thursday: good too.

Drinks: Navy grog, Lapu Lapu, Ray's mistake, Rum barrel, Hawaiian Twist, Great White, Missionairy's Downfall, it's really up to your personal taste...and mood: Tart, or sweet-like, or minty, or...

H

Ok, I am getting two conflicting messages here, I thought it is open at 4 pm now and not 6pm? on a regular basis? I was planning on going there at 4pm this week. anyone knows what's going on?

Even though their website says 4pm, it might not be that early (the luxury of being a sole proprietor). You could always walk across the street and get dinner at Pioneer Chicken to pass the time. The earliest I've ever been there was 6:30, and there were already people enjoying themselves inside.

There was a post on Tiki Central,and on The Tiki Ti yahoo group, that there is new hours 4 pm to 2 am

I suggest also the Oooga Booga, and the Pain Killer.
Zombie is a long time Favorite, but seems a tad less strong than it used to be.
mabye I'm just building up a tolerance.

Jim's special will warp your mind,
get it if you want to go for a wild ride.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

They are open at 4pm now. Take cash, no credit cards accepted, but they do have an atm in there now. There Navy Grog is a standout, if you have the time to spend there, get the Blue Hawaiian. its large and rather potent. Do not drink two in one evening. Might see you there if its a little later on wednesday.

MH

great, thanks for the info. anybody up for a hang tomorrow? maybe around 9?

Mr. Ho

I am always up for Tiki Ti on a Wednesday or Thursday night! Fridays and Saturdays are just too crowded, and you get those that try to order Coronas and such on those days too. I'm surprised I haven't seen Mark or Mike point to that can of Foster's yet, "You can buy that if you must?"

P

I will try to get there tonight but I cannot be there before 8:30. I am overdue anyway.

S

Looks like you might already be there!!! 4:46 p.m. as I write this.

I love Ray's Mistake, the Blue Hawaiian and the Bayanihan.
Don't let anyone convince you to order the Blood & Sand. It takes like a foot. Let someone else order it (and they will) and yell "Toro Toro Toro" as the bull-headed tequila is poured at the last...

Bring cash...a respirator...and Have fun!

As a tikiphile, one has to go on a Wednesday night for the 9pm memorial toast to Ray himself, with a Ray's Mistake no less.

MH

Going to try to get there around 9 or a little after. maybe ill see some TC ohana there!

hope you had a good time,

I would have liked to have gone,
but I was just there, last Sat.
and I will be in LA for a movie event, Thurs nite,
and the drive from OC to LA ain't fun,

what did ya have?
Jeff(bigtikidude)

P

I was there from about 8:45 to maybe 10:30 and didn't see any other TC folks. Of course since I don't know what you look like I could have easily missed you. Got to catch up with Mike, Gil, Alex and the rest of the usual suspects. Got a Tiki Magazine finally, too!

PiPhiRho, I think I met you if you were the guy at the corner of the bar with the latest (sold out) magazine from Mike Sr. I was sitting on the short end of the bar, glasses and a long ponytail. I asked you about the issue you had. Probably slurring my words, as I got there at 6pm and stayed till about 11pm, and had about 5-6 different drinks.

Maybe we need to develop a secret TC handshake or something?

P

Yeah, that was me. I only had two drinks and, given that I have not been drinking in a while, it was more than enough. The Virgin was a bit more viscious than I had expected.

MH

sorry gents! i didnt make it over last night. it sounded kinda wishy washy that anybody was going to make it. anyhow, i may make it tonight with Denny, we will see! Mahalo again for the advice. if you are thinking about coming, best to email me (not pm/tikicentral post) as i cant reply to TC posts on my fone easily.

mahalo!

Pages: 1 17 replies