Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Oktoberfest has returned to Alpine Village

Pages: 1 21 replies

So sad as many of us TCers enjoyed Oktoberfest every year. I don't know if they are going to eventually rebuild the beer garden, but the pics don't look promising:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=70518#70518

*Subject title was changed as per Smiley's request. Thanks for the update's, Z and Smiley!!

[ Edited by: vintagegirl 2008-10-17 13:29 ]

Old World in H.B. just remodeled their entire beer garden.

There "may" be some hope.

According to the article in the Daily Breeze:
http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_9715367

*Weller said plans are to erect an air-conditioned, permanent tent in the beer garden and upgrade the antiquated, distorted sound system that sometimes provokes complaints from neighbors.

He is aiming to have the project finished before Oktoberfest is scheduled to begin Sept. 12 with its famous beer-stein-holding contest and oom-pa-pa bands imported from Germany.

"Our goal is to completely rebuild the village," Weller said, "so you walk into a different world."*

omg, the beer stein holding contest!! ouch.

Just in case, you also get Oktoberfest at the Phoenix Klub in Anaheim (very German!!) and (as previously stated) Old World, Huntington Beach, has Oktoberfest and some great wiener dog races. Lots of Bit and Jagermeister to go 'round if Alpine Village doesn't re-emerge from the dust.

TS

I dont think any other establishment in the bier department beats this!

http://www.hofbrauhauslasvegas.com/

Nothing beats the real deal drinking REAL Bavarian brewed bier out of authentic steins! Although slightly pricey, its one of those things you should do once, kinda like the Pirates show in Buena Park, and Midevil Times, and besides...It's Vegas baby!.

On 2008-07-17 21:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
Old World in H.B. just remodeled their entire beer garden.

Sounds like a good excuse for a road trip to H.B. Ben. I used to hit Alpine Village about twice a month when I lived in Torrance. When I moved back to Long Beach I started going to Olde World and a little German bar on Broadway in Belmont Heights called Karl's Little Bavaria.

Karl's Little Barvaria is now an Irish Pub

One more place to celebrate St. Patricks Day but one less place for Oktoberfest.

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2008-07-25 22:59 ]

On 2008-07-25 21:35, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Karl's Little Barvaria is now an Irish Pub

Doh!

Roll out the barrel....

Alpine Village Oktoberfest

September 12th through October 19th, 2008

any new pics of the area?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DZ

I drive by Alpine Village every day, and for the last few weeks they've been busy paving a large area and have set up a GIANT beer-hall style tent. Looks like OKTOBERFIST should be ready to go by the 12th! Anybody up for going opening night? I'll get Sabu to bring his 'Electrolysis' sign!

Oktober-fist!

Remember this fabulous Mr. Smiley original (drawn on the top of a styrofoam take-out container)?

DZ

Things have kinda slowed down a bit, construction-wise. Looks like it's going to be a temporary structure this year: just the big, open-air tent-hall and a whole neighborhood of port-a-potties next to it. Some cool faux-Bavarian banners hanging inside and a cute 'Oktoberfest' arched entryway, but not a whole lot else as of Tuesday. I imagine they're going to be hurriedly setting up tables and kegs for the next few days.

Sabu and I are doing a recon mission Friday night if'n anyone wants to join us.

Heh-heh: fistie... :wink:

How is it going? Has Oktoberfist started at the Alpine Village yet?

a friend of mine that lives within stumbling distance says that they are doing it inside one of the buildings instead of outside now.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

DZ

Sabu and I went on opening night on 9/12 and yes, it was indoors at the Alpine Inn, as the big tent wasn't quite ready yet. It was great! A little more crowded and quite a bit warmer, but the same Oompa-pah-pah band, drinking songs, beer in big cups, contests, dances, you name it! Whether or not it is still being held indoors I don't know: I haven't been back again yet, but it looks like the big tent is ready to go - as I pass by it, I can see that the stage is built and the stage lights are hung and there's a lot more 'decor'. We're going back again to check it out this Friday - anyone want to meet up? Just look for the two guys in Aloha shirts - one with a raccoon head hat, one with a King Tut headdress (jus' tryin' to blend in, doncha know...)

M
DZ

Alpine Village update: Sabu and I went again last weekend, this time with Squid, Kirby & Polly. Sabu and I were in our aforementioned Oktoberfist head-gear, Kirby in an inverted hula-skirt 'Snap Into A Slim Jim'-esque hat of his own design, Squid in a foam-cup hat of questionable origin (Polly was sans chapeau...). The place was going off! The bier-hall tent is a LOT bigger than I thought (not 'Munich-sized', but for So. Cal. it's close enough!) and is actually a permanent structure, not temporary. There were literally thousands of people there, but it's so much larger than the old place that wasn't really crowded. Took for-fucking-ever to get in (because I got there late and didn't have a 'pass'), but once inside, the beer lines moved quickly. Most of the tables are inside the tent, but there's also a decent sized outdoor section so smokers can get their fix without having to leave the place. Had a great time once again! The beer was cold and the band was in fine form (but where was "The Tiger"?). Oktoberfist is only there for 2 more weekends, so it looks like we'll be hitting it again this coming Friday - get a hat and join us!

Just curious Z, but how much was the beer, and how did it taste? Last time I was at Alpine Village for Octfest, they only had 3 styles/brands of beer. This was about 5 years ago...

DZ

If I recall correctly, they've got 4 beers to choose from: Alpine lager & Alpine hefeweizen (brewed on site by Angel City Brewing), Bud Light and Beck's. Same prices they've been for years: $9.95 for 32 oz., $6.95 for 16 oz. They still have the deal that if you bring your own stein and it's bigger than 32 oz., it's still the same price. I've got a lidded stein that holds 120 oz. (it's actually an ice bucket...), but I've never brought it. Sure it looks great and would be a bargain financially, but the damn thing is too heavy when it's full! Plus it's a pain in the ass to drink out of... I'll bring it, however, if'n somebody else wants to give it a try! (Kirby??) BTW, I always get the Alpine lager, 'cause it tastes the best and goes so well with German snuff! :wink:

Oktoberfest at the Alpine Village is still as great as ever - just in a bigger tent-like-structure, built this year. Sound system for the oompah-pah band improved as well.

Doctor Z and I have been twice this season and are going again this Friday, Oct 17th. This may be the last time we can get there this year and we'd like to have as large a group as possible meet us there. We should arrive around 8:00pm. Please come on down to Torrance this Friday and join us! I'll be wearing my King Tut headdress and Doctor Z might will probably be in his Raccoon-head hat. In other words, we're easy to miss, so call us on our cell phones.

Sabu

Pages: 1 21 replies