Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

New Tufa Tiki

Pages: 1 10 replies

TV

First off I'm actually Alexdog1 who posted some pics of tufa in another post. I changed my screen name to be more suitable to the site. So don't go blasting Alexdog1 because that's me. Anyway, I just completed a new Tiki head and table top. The table top has an engraving of a hibiscus. Hope you enjoy.

In the beginning

Finished Tiki

Hard to see in pic

[ Edited by: Tiki V 2008-08-06 08:27 ]

T
Tabu posted on Thu, Jul 17, 2008 4:57 PM

Thats cool. What are you carving the concrete with? How do you prevent it from chipping or crumbling as you work it?

A

I use normal cheap wood chisels and some sharpened screw drivers. I don't have to use a mallet or hammer. I just dig in. It's not totally cement. It's a mixture of equal parts of portland cement, vermiculite, spagham moss and water. I usually leave it in the mold for a few days before I start to carve it but have waited as long as 6 days. Oh yeah my name is screwed up again.

[ Edited by: alexdog1 2008-07-17 18:01 ]

TV
Tiki V posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2008 8:32 AM

A few new ones.

T

Nice work, they all look great!!

TK

Nice work! How durable is it once cured? I have carved cement, but it is pretty unforgiving. There is only a couple hours from when it is set up enough to carve, and when it it too hard.

C

Nice! Loving the skulls one!!

TV

It's really durable. I spray concrete sealer on them to help repel the weather. The moss in the mix will eventually erode and add to the aged look. I carved the Tiki head 2 days after I poured the mold and the skulls I waited 7 days and it was still workable.

Nice aged texture, do you wash or pull the moss out to make the holes?

TV
Tiki V posted on Wed, Aug 6, 2008 6:54 PM

The texture just happens as you carve. I do lightly sand the whole thing at the final stage. Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

Aloha!!

I have to say you have renewed my desire to attempt tufa again. Didnt have much sucess the first time around. Seems like you have mastered it!!! The detail you get from the errosion is so cool. Great work man, love it!!!

Pages: 1 10 replies