Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

King Kukulele Presents The Floating Luau At The Egyptian Theatre July 26th, 2008

Pages: 1 9 replies

Please Do Not Respond To This Post

Please DO respond to THIS post:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29025&forum=17&1&PHPSESSID=1b41cf314eeb617a245d07209b1f7105

After landing at the Purple Orchid and the Tonga Hut the Floating Luau brings us back to the Egyptian Movie Palace for our 4th Annual Tiki Luau in Hollywood!

July 25 and 26, 2008
Enchanted Tiki Luau Blow-Out

After the success of our Tiki events the past three summers, we’re back again with more exotica! Three exotic feature films:
ALOMA OF THE SOUTH SEAS, 1941
FAIR WIND TO JAVA, 1953
HER JUNGLE LOVE, 1938

"Tiki on TV" Kevin Kidney’s collection of TV rarities. Approx. 30 min. Kevin also created the amazing artwork for the Tiki Luau Night postcard.
The Polynesian Paradise Dancers grace the Egyptian courtyard once more with
King Kukulele And The Friki Tikis playing music to Hula to.

Dinner will be available and vendors will be sharing their goods.

To see the Egyptian Schedule:
http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Egyptian/Tiki_Weekend_2008.htm

To see Kevin Kidney's blog:
http://miehana.blogspot.com/

To see photos of last years event:
http://www.americancinematheque.com/Gallery/TikiNight2007.htm

Egyptian Theatre is located at 6712 Hollywood Boulevard, LA, CA 90028

AND
For those of you who don't know the history of this event I'll give you a bit:

Sunday, July 31, 2005
Our guests were author/filmmaker BeachBum Berry, we watched his film "Secret of Easter Island" on the big screen. 97- year old ukele wizard Bill Tapia (Clark Gable's & Shirley Temple's ukulele teacher) performed and answered questions. Kevin Kidney presented preshow short surprises in Tiki Cinema from his collection. We also screened a preview of “Armchair Travelling Through The World Of Tiki”, a new documentary DVD.
In the courtyard King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis performed with the Polynesian Paradise Dancers while dinner was served. Vendors included Crazy Al, Tiki Tony, Falling Cocos, Adrift Clothing
And the feature presentation was the very rarely seen BIRD OF PARADISE, 1951, 20th Century Fox/Criterion, 100 min. Starring Deborah Paget Louis Jourdan (GIGI) and Jeff Chandler

Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Luau started with a screening of ENCHANTED ISLAND, 1958, Warner Brothers, 93 min. "He dared to love a cannibal princess!" starring Dana Andrews
King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis sang and the Polynesian Paradise Dancers danced, everyone ate while the vendors Crazy Al, Tiki Tony, Tiki Diablo, Adrift Clothing, "Dumb Angel" Magazine authors Dominic Priore and Brian Chidister, Falling Cocos, presented their wares. The incomparable Kevin Kidney presented "Blue Hawaii-themed" short films from his collection. Darlene Tomkins who played Patsy Simon in BLUE HAWAII introduced
BLUE HAWAII, 1961, Paramount, 101 min.

Friday July 6 - Sunday July 8,  2007

Enchanted Tiki & Luau Weekend
began on Friday night with the screening of the epic HAWAII 1966, MGM Repertory, 161 min. starring Julie Andrews. Our Saturday program included a special presentation by our friend the multifaceted artist Kevin Kidney screening selections of his spectacular collection of rare, island-themed episodic TV. The Polynesian Paradise Dancers returned to join King Kukulele and the Friki Tikis once again. Dinner was served while the courtyard of the Egyptian was filled with vendors like Crazy Al, Tiki Diablo, Tiki Tony, Falling Cocos, and Adrift Clothing.

Shag appeared with documentary filmmaker Mark Chervinsky creator of THE SOPHISTICATED MISFIT. This was followed by the film HIS MAJESTY O’KEEFE.

Sunday featured the film
MISS SADIE THOMPSON, starring Rita Hayworth which was originally shot in 3-D!

[ Edited by: KING KUKULELE 2008-07-19 03:51 ]

--

--

On 2008-07-19 03:36, KING KUKULELE wrote:

Please DO respond to THIS post:

Why?

TM

I don't know why, either...but I do know that king Kukulele ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!

Bananabobs and Lucas Vigor you are in BIG trouble! I told you DO NOT respond to this post and you did it anyway...GO TO YOUR ROOM...and post on the other thread.

Bananbobs your question is a good one, I should have explained it in the first place.

In February of 2004 I started producing a monthly show in Echo Park (LA) called Tiki Taix and it was a lot of work. We do music, hula dancers, slideshows, artist / author Q&As, rare filmclips, comedy, etc. We've had bands play from as far away as New York City (The Fisherman Vibropphonic Trio) and Huntington Beach (The Smokin' Menehunes) We get performers from ages 1 (my daughter) to 100 Bill Tapia Ukulele Master!

Well now after 4 years Tiki Taix has set sails and is now The Floating Luau, where it will land no one knows. With the permission of the American Cinematheque I have called the Tiki Luau Nights event at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood a "Floating Luau" event. (This makes less work for me this month)

The Tiki Luau Nights events are an annual feature film and luau event that started in 2005 after a conversation I had with Andrew Crane of the American Cinematheque and Naomi Alper of 8 Ball in Burbank (www.8ballwebstore.com) at a LACMA Tiki Party. The party left lots of room for improvement so we brought the idea to the Egyptian theatre and traded the AC/DC cover band for the Friki Tikis.

I don't want you to post to this thread because I BROKE RULE #1 !!!! I posted about an event that already has a thread!!
(This thread is here to bring your attention to the post by the American Cinematheque.)

Thanks Bananbobs and Lucas Vigor...now go to your room.

TM

Soreeee!!!!

ok

__

Pages: 1 9 replies