Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

3/1 Ocea Otica's makins another one off zombie

Pages: 1 2 69 replies

They're coming to get you ,Barbara!
From left, Lava Zombie #1, Burial Ground Zombie, Shotgun Zombie
all customized greenware one offs, hope you dig!

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2009-03-01 19:55 ]

smattering of some of the stuff for the show

The induvidual pieces are so nicely done But I really like seeing then together as a collection. NEATO!

Swag Lamp Bowl, this thing is huge, took about 7 hours to build the greenware. Will probably take about 4 hours to glaze. Thats if it makes it out of the kiln. Loading this into the kiln was a sweat on the brow moment.

burial ground zombie in greenware, took me half a day to sculpt into the greenware. Seen here with some of the underglazing.

B

Cass,

These mugs are really just exceptional! The decoration on those mugs really makes them very special. You've got this cone 06 glazing down...GREAT JOB!

OceaOtica congrats on all these new art pieces, I'm really excited to see them "live" some very original works here, not like anything else.. Babalu, your new ceramics & carves are crazy great as well, you two are just off the chain completely, Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for checking the stuff out. My photos dont do justice to some of them, and some of them i think look better in photographs. You will have to judge for yourself at the show.
Might bring one of my Vintage Beauty Monster series vases down as well, mainly because the little Zombie theme i have going (thank you Don the Beachcomber).
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27976&forum=6&6

Thought I would share some pics from meeting up with Boris a month or two ago at Tiki Ti

How to fill your Tumbuna

How to drink outa your Tumbuna

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-07-22 10:54 ]

K
Kahu posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 8:20 PM

Cass those new pieces rock!

I hope to be able to talk to you about doing some of those new zombies for me to add to my first one.

That was a fun night.

Cass look forward to the show .Your mugs and bowls look absolutely incredible.
Cheers,
Trader Bill

a pic of most of the mugs and resin pendants that i sold or traded at the Tonga Hut. Will post pics of what I still have to sell left over from the show.
Here is a pic of one version of the PNG Sepik female ancestor cult hook pendant that I am actually happy did not sell, because i wanted to keep it.

LT

On 2008-08-04 11:20, OceaOtica wrote:

I really like this piece - well done!

O

Thanks LOL,
These take a long time to paint! I knew if it sold I would never make one for myself, so I am happy to hold on to it. I will, however, paint a few more of these in this style soon. I just need to cast more up, and set aside a block of hours to do it. Thanks for looking.

C

Wow!! Really great stuff going on here! Dig the Zombo mugs!

Sir,

YOU are mad. Quite simply mad I say? Technicolor yawn...not at all, BooogedY-Boo! :D

O

TJ, thanks for checkin in. Hope to see you in a few days. Chongolio, glad you dig the zombies. Fun, but very time consuming to make.

i kept this one too, sometimes hard to let your creations go

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-08-04 16:33 ]

Here is a peak at my next mug release, Kapriman. This design is about 65% completed. I started sculpting him in September 2007, but had to stop due to impending move. Because this sculpture was done in water based WED clay to get a more rough kinda slightly off kilter PNG carving look, i molded and cast it in resin knowing the sculpture would not survive till i could get back to finishing it. With the PNG mugs I try to retain a less polished look sculpturally. I love PNG carvings for their natural, sometimes very rough feel and try to retain that feel with my designs. This is a pretty large piece. Not seen here is some pieces that will get cast separately and attached at the greenware stage. Will hopefully finish up the sculpture and mold in the next month. Will do a small run, maybe 25 total pieces, some hand painted. I will try to remember to take progress pics in line with Babalu's ceramics thread.

Aloha kaua

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-08-06 11:02 ]

LT

Nice! I like this one.

T

Hey OceaOtica!
Awesome stuff! It was great meeting you and seeing your work in person at the Tonga Hut art show... if I wasn't completley broke, I would have bought one of your supercool mugs!
Keep up the amazing work, and keep posting!

Aloha!!

Great designs, love the classic horror pieces!!! Some of the mugs look like they are inspired by Sepik River designs... love that whole look. Ceramics are one arena I would love to dive into!!

Tiki Dirk
http://www.yatesstudios.com

C

oh Wow! You do amazing ceramics!! Love this last one you are keeping!! super original design and glassing!!

Here is a little pet project thats been rollin around the old brain for sometime. The WIW Zombie, AKA What If Witco had done a zombie. want to do a number of different designs strictly as a personal project. Its an interesting challenge to convey the image in another style that is very simplistically stylized. Hope you dig.
here is a pick of the sculpture still pretty intact after being molded.

i will have a limited number of these resin pendants cast and painted to give away to TCers (who might want one) that i run into the next couple of days on their way to Oasis. I will paint a couple of different styles, the torched wood look, and a paint scheme using Witco pieces as reference for color over the torched wood look. a little bon voyage gift in the theme of this years Oasis. If you run into me in Los Angeles on your way down ask me "what if Witco had made a zombie?"
p.s. sorry for the shitty photo
proportionally based on the man, from the man, woman, child Witco piece shown on the link below, midway down the page, but zombified http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20416&forum=5&start=270

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-08-14 14:38 ]

finished pendants, gonna have about 20 to give away to TCers at Tiki Ti tommorow night. Once again, sorry for the crappy picture
here is another pic, a little better

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-08-13 08:34 ]

K
Kahu posted on Wed, Aug 13, 2008 8:22 AM

Cass! WOW!!! Way cool! Now if I could just teleport to the Ti. LOL Someday me and you are sitting down for drinks brother.

I'm looking forward to getting a Kapriman mug. Those witco zombie pendants rock!

B

stoked to see what ur up to...everything is looking insane...altho the beauty monster is particularly inspired!!

Hey, Thank you everyone for the compliments.
Well, the cats outa the bag about the pendants, wanted it to be one of those discovery things at Oasis as the you neared the dark and the blacklight, but all the Witco inspired pendants are either uv blacklight glow or glow in the dark or both. With charging in the sunlight, the bone ones will glow completely, even the aging color on them is blacklight. The wood color on the Witco-ish ones is blacklight, and the eyes on a few of the variations have the most intense glow. Fun! Tiki Ti has blacklights in the back of the bar, but i forgot about the one under the doorway, so as it got dark and people were sitting near the front you could get glimpses of the glow effect. Anyways, Bon Voyage to Oasis goers. Have a blast!

Hey! the pendants are wicked!
Cool stuff!

a little update for those interested.
Kapriman is molded, waiting for the mold to dry out to start casting. This will be my first mug working with satin glazes to get more of the look of the earth pigment paints used by the artisans in PNG.
Working on hand built one off Asaro Mudmen mask mugs, will take a while to dry, then test fire the first one, will do different glazes to match the look of the different clays the Asaros use to make their masks. Will get to posting pics later. Thanks to Tiki Tony and Babalu for the inspiration and tips about handbuilding.
Also will soon mold the first Maprik hornbill mug, and will follow that up with another Mapriki Hornbill design.
The Zombie mug i mentioned to a few people at Tiki Ti, that is a collaboration, will start the sculpture soon. Hope to get that one on the road soon.
Stuckie is doing a release of my Zombie (Moai) mug as a collaboration between Ocea Otica and Munktiki. He is working out of a production mold I had only casted a couple of pieces out of, but had kept in storage since 2003. I can't wait to see his clay body/ glaze coloring choices, but whatever they be I am sure it will be top notch. I have made no input, just want to see his vision of it. Not even sure the edition number, but think it will be fairly limited. Those of you that have been asking about this one will get a shot at getting the Munktiki version.
In non mug news, finally going to devote some time to a project thats been on the backburner for 3 years. limited run statuary resin pieces. Andf it won't be a surprise to you, they will be of PNG images.
Thats it for now, going back underground for a while. When I re emerge again i will post some pics.
Thanks again for everyones encouragement and support.
Cass

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-08-29 23:25 ]

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-10-28 16:42 ]

LT

Look forward to seeing what you come up with!

B

YAY Cass!! It's so cool to see all this killer clay work happening on TC lately. Your new mug looks like a winner! I would love to visit the Muntiki studios sometime, those guys do some AMAZING things there! Have fun experimenting with the matt glazes...there is just soooo many different pre-made flavors on the market to choose from these days, it's a bit overwhelming. I need to start making a shit load of test trees.

droppin in for a quick update, will probably be absent from the forum for a while. been fitting some handmade experiments in the mix as i can. they are dry, will probably go into the kiln by the weekend. Going with some rough textures. Hopefully they make it outa the kiln okay. Will post pics of the Asaro Mudmen Mask Mugs later, have some handmade and cast/handbuilt ones in various stages.

Skullitiva, a real gone primitive crude pinch pot rendition of a skull, reservoir around lip of rim to light up with 151

pinch pot Marq for glaze testing on this texture

pretty large handmade double Marq

[ Edited by: oceaotica 2008-10-29 15:43 ]

LT

Diggin' those Marqs! Good job!

Love the new work. I've been wondering what you've been up to. Looks like a lot!

Those marq mugs are beauty. They should be living under century old jungle creeps...

I love looking at your work. Thank you for sharing.

B

Cass, It's really cool seeing you hand building. The Marq is my favorite of the two as well. Love the texture! Let's get together soon. I might be hosting the Chop in Nov...think you might be a go? We need to kick it together for a minute.

Great work Cass as always... gotta get together soon!

here are the first cast/handbuilt Asaro mudmen mugs. they are dry and ready to go to the kiln. the third one i have done, not shown, still needs to dry a few more days before i do the finish work, but it has the boars tusks and teeth. hope you dig. i love making these. will do variations on the same masks. coloration will be based on the few colors i have seen in photos of the masks, i assume mainly based on the earth they use to build them. Also will make some from some other regions.

Lookin' cool! What it the clay body on the Marquesan mugs? Looks like it has dark & light bits like granite? I've been playing with porcelain tusks for an upcoming Wild Boar mug, hope yours work out for you :)

You got a nice png posse going on! What's hiding in the background there?

B

These guys are just plain awesome Cass!

The texture is "right on" with these guys! Can't wait to see how you approach the glazing.

Hopefully, you can make it down for the Chop. It would be great fun to kick it in the studio with you for a day.

Keep cranking them out brother!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Mad D, you had it figured out before i messaged you. Kaimuki, the background is a unglazed handbuilt Asaro mudman, the two glazed pieces are the handbuilt glazed skullitiva and double marq bowl seen on top of the page in greenware. Babs, hope to make it to your place in November. Really want to pick your brain about the process of rolling out and pinching those tumblers and odder shaped mugs. I really dig making the mudmen not only for the handbuilding on cast pieces, but also because i do a lot of add on texturing when the greenware is leather hard. Seems to capture the muddy textury surface that the actual masks have pretty well, though no reference picture i have found shows the masks close enough to really see the surface that well. Also gives and effect that sculpting alone does not produce well. We will see what happens, these go in the kiln hopefully tonight. I was a little impatient in the drying process, and had some surface cracking. we will see if my repair and retexturing fixed that issue after they come out of the kiln. Glaze wise, not really going crazy here, sticking more with the colors and look of the masks. Neat colors though, white with hints of blue and grey, a cobalt blue (what some PNG artisans paint the Asaro mudmen mud figurines), a slightly ochre yellow, and a sepia red. the fun will be doing work ups with the glazes themselves in stead of underglaze.
Alright, Happy Halloween, i am gonna get back to watching Hammer films and working on some new Vintage Beauty Monsters. Thanks again for checking out my clay makins.

HoT PINK BABy!

O

here is my third Asaro mudman. i put this one on the backburner, just got to some underglazing tonight. I kept the boars tusks a bit thick to give them some more strength.
Danny, funny, i just recalled as i was painting the pink areas on this mug that we had a conversation at the Forest Lawn opening about working up pink colors. This one should be right up your alley when fired. The color was a detail in a picture i had forgotten about. Works nicely on the mask this mug was inspired by.

Beautiful. I had to look up the Asaro mudmen to find out who they are, this is such an educational site :) Inspired by a mask...I like the way the eyes and mouth look open to preserve the mask illusion.

O

MadDog, hope you got the chance to look up the Asaro mudmen. Such an interesting lore. These mugs are dear to me. Based on functional masks, of course a kick for me being a makeup effects artist, they are interesting to create because of the process of replicating and stylizing something so crude. These pieces are not elaborate highly detailed sculptures, which is a nice break from other work i do. This is more like model building/propbuilding/makeup fx/museum scene construction all roleed into one. Highly enjoyable for me. Sometimes its the simplest, rawest, crudest imagery that has the most impact to me. enough of my blabberin, here is Asaro mudman #1 finished.

Pages: 1 2 69 replies