Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Where to find Palm Logs? Noobiee

Pages: 1 10 replies

T

Hi All,

Anybody know where a noobie can find a few palm logs? Would really like to attempt carving my own Tiki. Any suggestions an alternative type of wood to start with?

Thanks!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 20, 2008 1:28 AM

Palm logs are hidden everywhere underneath palm trees! :lol: :lol:

Mexican fan palms have a good rep. for being good carvers. As for locating some, ask around some of your local tree lopers, or there might be someone on here who can help you out :D

Welcome to TC! :D

T

Hi hewey,

Thanks for the tip! I'll check out some of the tree trimming/landscaping contractors around here. Honestly never entered my mind to do that.

Thanks again!

find your local brush dumps- all those tree/landscapers have too dump somewhere! around here you can still take all you want for free.

On 2008-07-20 22:42, greentikipat wrote:
find your local brush dumps- all those tree/landscapers have too dump somewhere! around here you can still take all you want for free.

My company operates a wood and vegetative debris recycling yard in Mount Pleasant, SC. We constantly receive palm trees and have many available. They are FREE FOR THE TAKING. Anyone that is interested, please visit our website at http://www.thebarrcompanies.com

What little posts I got was from tree guys. They are very nice. I didn't go any were. I just happened to be in the right place and asked very gingerly for some post (LOL). Now my ears perk up at the sound of chain saws in my neighborhood.

G

If you live in the San Gabriel Vally in SoCal, I just picked up some really good logs from a guy in Pico Rivera. He is selling the logs for $1 per linear foot.

I spent $10 today and I now have 4 logs ready to carve.

PM me for the info or do a Search for "Palm Tree Logs" on Craigslist LA.

He had plenty left and these are good logs.

Let me know if you take some so I can remove this post when his logs are gone.

I think tree services have to pay twice as much to dispose of palm logs at the dump compared to most other trees like pine, oak or euk or what ever. So, buying palm is kinda silly. All you need to do is call any tree service and they'd be glad to dump the logs on your driveway.

Not so sure about Cali but I have asked a few tree trimming services to keep me in mind and I frequent the dump often. I have started posting my own palm tree removal service on craigslist and just cherry pic the ones I want to deal with and pass the pain in the ass ones to the tree service peeps. Might as well make a couple of bucks AND get the log.

My situation is a little different from most. Since I am an apartment dweller, I can't handle a driveway full of logs, so I have to work small scale. (3-4 little logs max at a time)

I tried going the tree trimmer route, and to be honest, I didn't get much of a response. I figured the $10 cost for these logs is justified since I would tip someone to bring them to me anyway.

The craigslist route works pretty well, but if you have the space and a deal with the tree trimmers, then that is obviously the best way to go.

I only mentioned the guy in Pico Rivera because he was a nice older guy who really needed to get the logs out of his place.

Follow the tree trimming companies!

Pages: 1 10 replies