Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Coco Palms Ephemera

Pages: 1 18 replies

I picked up a couple of scrapbooks the other day. Both were for Hawaiian vacations. These items were in the scrapbook from 1976. I thought I would open a new thread for this topic as the others were external or dealt with other matters other than the simple pleasure of collecting. Thanks and enjoy!
The first item is a brochure for the resort front and back.

This appears to be clipped from a magazine. And on the right a great little breakfast menu.Front and back.

A little menu from the "Flame Room" at Coco Palms. Great graphics and the drinks sound good to.

A menu for the "Sea Shell" at the resort.

A couple of postcards one showing the famous torch lighting ceremony created at Coco Palms.

Letterhead from one of the rooms.

Menu for "The Coconut Palace" at the resort.

I don't think a good look at the resort map has been posted yet so here it is in two parts.

The map is from the guest information guide. My copy someone like their fruit platter so much they wrote down every fruit in it.

If you have some items to add, post away! Thanks for looking.

H

What a great design for the letterhead I wish I could have some and nice pictures.

I do not own much Coco Palms stuff because, (not to diminish its splendor in any way!), it is a fine example for my theory that Tiki was a MAINLAND phenomenon. For the influential mid-century tourist mecca that it was, it had a surprising lack of Tiki statuary on its vast grounds and absence of graphic Tiki icons in its paper ephemera. Why? Probably for the same reason that the rest of the islands used Tiki imagery sparingly, but here even more than anywhere else:

As one can see by the map, the Coco Palms was set on and around so many ancient temple grounds, it would have been gravely politically incorrect to decorate the grounds with faux native godheads.

Wonderful scans of your find Uncle Trav. Thanks for posting them. True Paradise. Send some of that luck on down here to me, I'm tired of you finding all the good stuff. It's like, oh I don't know, Mom liking you best. Keep it up and you'll have to get a license plate that says "Tiki God" or something like that......oh wait....hmmm.
Great info though and I really did enjoy seeing them. Looking forward to more!

Uncle Trav,

Thanks for posting the Coco Palms stuff. I have always liked this place and have been by to check it out a few times after the hurricane. Here is a drink menu I have that is about as close to "Tiki" as you get at Coco Palms.

Here's my one piece of Coco Palms ephemera.

TikiKate,

I never noticed all of the movies listed on the matchbook that were shot at Coco Palms. I knew about the big ones like Blue Hawaii and South Pacific but had never heard of the last two. Here is a promo shot from the Naked Paradise movie. I thought that you might appreciate the cool dresses!

Here are a couple of postcards of some great rooms at the Coco Palms.

This is another one of the Coco Palms drink menus in a sort of 70's modern orange black light finish. Groovy man.

I picked up a scrap book this weekend that had this Coco Palms napkin tucked inside a menu.

L

On 2008-07-30 10:33, Dustycajun wrote:
Here are a couple of postcards of some great rooms at the Coco Palms.

Has anyone ever seen these headdress lamps in person or own them? As gaudy as they are I love them and wish someone would post that they had them in their collection

I was born in the wrong era...thats for sure.Great post again DC.
Gotta love those interior shots.Your PC collection always amazes me.

Here's the menu that my napkin was hiding in. (Apologies for the quality. My scanner is tiny.)

Coco Palms was magic, just magic. We owned a summer condo across the street and I spent hours and hours of my life on the grounds. The canal that Elvis floated down in Blue Hawaii was stocked with fish and the hotel put out bamboo fishing poles for kids to fish with. What you have no sense of just looking at pictures is how massive the grounds are. It was built on the grounds of a failed coconut orchard and they left most of the trees intact when the hotel was placed there. They have to have full time guards there now not just to keep people out of the rotting hotel but also to keep someone from getting killed from a falling coconut.

T
TNTiki posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2009 6:20 PM

I looked around the grounds a few weeks ago. The Seashell restaurant was not boarded up or fenced in like the Coco Palms. I found the recipe cards for the drinks. I rescued all I could find. I posted the recipe for the Pi-Yi elsewhere. If anyone wants to know the contents of the recipes, let me know.

UT

I love to see them.....scan away!!!

CJ

On 2009-11-04 18:20, TNTiki wrote:
I looked around the grounds a few weeks ago. The Seashell restaurant was not boarded up or fenced in like the Coco Palms. I found the recipe cards for the drinks. I rescued all I could find. I posted the recipe for the Pi-Yi elsewhere. If anyone wants to know the contents of the recipes, let me know.

I wish I would have explored some more! Any pics of the Seashell?

T
TNTiki posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 5:45 PM

I actually have more pics of the Sesshell than I have of Coco Palms. I would be happy to post here but it has been so long, I have forgotten how to post pics.

On 2009-11-04 18:38, Coco Joe wrote:

T
TNTiki posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 7:02 PM

Ok I read the instructions. Here are the pictures of Coco Palms.

Here are the pictures of the Seashell.

On 2009-11-06 17:45, TNTiki wrote:
I actually have more pics of the Sesshell than I have of Coco Palms. I would be happy to post here but it has been so long, I have forgotten how to post pics.

On 2009-11-04 18:38, Coco Joe wrote:

Pages: 1 18 replies