Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Puka bar not safe

Pages: 1 45 replies

Last Saturday night a huge bar fight happened when gang members rushed in and began throwing bar stools and beating up 2 girls that were seriously injured, the ambulance and emergency helped stayed behind to help to give stitches and others were taken to the hospital. Now this wasn't a rough crowd night, there was a rockabilly band playing in the back room. In fact the girls that were beat up were classy rockabilly girls. Scary thing is me & my hubby were suppose to go that night but we fell asleep, thank God. A couple of weeks before that on a Saturday night as well they were robbed at gun point as well the bar attenders too. I guess you can try to have a nice bar but if it's in a bad area it just wont work. I wont be going there ever. They need to tighten security.

Was that the night Brian Jay was there? We totally would have gone if it hadn't been for the Light Gallery show.

Yep, that is a bit of a dicey area where Puka is. I hope they can bounce back!

Yep that was the night, I am very good friends with them and someone came running to the back room to tell them to get out fast. Pretty scary. I doubt they will ever play there again.

That and The Puka Bar Cancels on bands at the last minute. Several bands I know had that experience.

S

And promise you a guarentee then when you show up say your splittin the door..But guys hittin girls and throwing bottles and barstools in a tiki bar..I know Brian Jay well and thats the last band in incite a riot..What disturbs me is that none of the guys there could handle these morons..I heard there was like 50 people at the bar..These idiots try pulling this crap at Alexs or any of the other cool bars there woould be no reason for the cops to come at all..Proabably took the crowd at Puka by surprise Im sure but still...
Dont even get me started on the bouncer there..Worthless..
Shame Puka is getting this reputation..
Maybe they need to realize where they are and hire some bouncers that no how to bounce in these areas..

Hey I bet I know you if your good friends with them. By the way I totaly agree with you, Brian Jay & his band members are very nice guys and laid back, they are no riot makers! As well the bar better get better security, the word will get out and no one will want to play there.

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-07-22 11:32 ]

or go there either, I know I am never going there. They should treat the bands better, who wants to play at a place that doesnt have good security.

S

I used to play upright in the band before Kevin came on board..I also play with Victor in 3 Deuces so maybe we have crossed paths at some point..Come to think of it I got Kevin and Victor that gig..hahahaha
Well Puka isnt the only one flaking on paying bands ..That seems to be the norm unless your one of the more popular draws around..

K
KuKu posted on Tue, Jul 22, 2008 6:23 PM

This sounds like the perfect venue for Tikiyaki Orchestra... :lol:

It sounds like a good place for Thee Cormans!

Tikiyaki Orchestra wouldnt be happy there, I would hate to see them hurt. I talked to some other bands that played there and they said that not only was there guaranteed pay changed to a part of the door, when they brought their wives they were told they couldnt get in free and that it would come out of their pay. That's pretty bad. I work at a club promoting and we would never do that to the bands, we feed them, give them drinks & let them have a guest list.

T

On 2008-07-23 08:02, tiki-a-fair wrote:
Tikiyaki Orchestra wouldnt be happy there, I would hate to see them hurt. I talked to some other bands that played there and they said that not only was there guaranteed pay changed to a part of the door, when they brought their wives they were told they couldnt get in free and that it would come out of their pay. That's pretty bad. I work at a club promoting and we would never do that to the bands, we feed them, give them drinks & let them have a guest list.

I spoke to the girl who books there a long time ago when I was looking for places to start out. She had a pretty bad attitude...definitely no aloha there at all, so that kinda scared me off, and I pretty much decided it wasn't for us.
Besides, as much as it's a pretty cool tiki bar, it never really seems to get any love on this forum as a place that Tiki Centralites like to hang, so, I think it draws a different crowd. I figured it to be a more of a rock club kinda vibe...not really our style.

Good thing for people like Holden,Vid (Mission Tiki) and Chuck at KONA - Now we have places to play. :)

The only fighting at a Tikiyaki Gig is the girls fighting over who gets to go home with Marty Lush :P

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-23 08:38 ]

On 2008-07-23 08:36, tikiyaki wrote:

I spoke to the girl who books there a long time ago when I was looking for places to start out. She had a pretty bad attitude...definitely no aloha there at all, so that kinda scared me off, and I pretty much decided it wasn't for us.
Besides, as much as it's a pretty cool tiki bar, it never really seems to get any love on this forum as a place that Tiki Centralites like to hang, so, I think it draws a different crowd. I figured it to be a more of a rock club kinda vibe...not really our style.

Good thing for people like Holden,Vid (Mission Tiki) and Chuck at KONA - Now we have places to play. :)

The only fighting at a Tikiyaki Gig is the girls fighting over who gets to go home with Marty Lush :P

Okay, I think I met you at Safari Sam's Brunch a couple of weeks ago at the bonebrake syncopators show? Is this the member of the band that books shows for Tikiyaki? If so I did meet you with Squid.

T

On 2008-07-23 09:28, tiki-a-fair wrote:

Okay, I think I met you at Safari Sam's Brunch a couple of weeks ago at the bonebrake syncopators show? Is this the member of the band that books shows for Tikiyaki? If so I did meet you with Squid.

Yes, that would be me :)

On 2008-07-23 09:34, tikiyaki wrote:

On 2008-07-23 09:28, tiki-a-fair wrote:

Yes, that would be me :)

It was nice to meet you!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-07-24 14:48 ]

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 3:30 PM

Twas a joke, thus the laughing smiley face...

I knew you were joking, no worries. I just love squid that's all, he's such a sweetie. I guess if we go to The Puka bar we will have to wear riot gear!

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-07-25 11:17 ]

[ Edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-07-25 11:17 ]

In defense of Wrigley/Westside Long Beach I would have to say that that could have happened pretty much anywhere, regardless of the area. You are right, though, the only reason you don't see fights like that at other bars/music venue is that they are prepared for it. Fights start all the time at Alex's Bar but they are dealt with quickly because they have a full time security staff, all built like Brit shickhouses. (including Alex himself, who was a bouncer at the Clipper before opening his own place.) I would hate to see a true Tiki bar, which I consider the Puka Bar due to the decor and the fact that they serve halfway decent tropical drinks, lose business because of a bunch of idiots. Believe it or not, there are fairly expensive homes in the neighborhood behind the Puka. In the interests of full disclosure, I work just up Willow Street from there, in Signal Hill. If only they opened earlier, I could go drink Mai Tais there for lunch :lol:

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-08-06 08:57 ]

On 2008-08-04 14:47, Jason Wickedly wrote:
In defense of Wrigley/Westside Long Beach I would have to say that that could have happened pretty much anywhere, regardless of the area. You are right, though, the only reason you don't see fights like that at other bars/music venue is that they are prepared for it. Fights start all the time at Alex's Bar but they are dealt with quickly because they have a full time security staff, all built like Brit shickhouses. (including Alex himself, who was a bouncer at the Clipper before opening his own place.) I would hate to see a true Tiki bar, which I consider the Puka Bar due to the decor and the fact that they serve halfway decent tropical drinks, lose business because of a bunch of idiots. Believe it or not, there are fairly expensive homes in the neighborhood behind the Puka. In the interests of full disclosure, I work just up Willow Street from there, in Signal Hill. If only they opened earlier, I could go drink Mai Tais there for lunch :lol:

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-08-06 08:57 ]

It could happen anywhere but it's pretty scary the it was robbed too including all the patrons that were there. Long beach is such a patchy city, one street it's nice, two blocks away it's bad, and then good again, it's kinda funny that way. So the rift raf is never too far away.

But the issue still remains on how they treat bands, it's very bad. They guarantee them a price of payment and then don't come through on the deal. My friend had his wife with him and they said her coming in would come out of his pay, they promised him a certain amount of pay and then changed it to a percentage of the door. Another band they canceled at the very last minute saying they would have to leave as they couldn't pay them. Pretty soon no band will there. I know that I will never go there, ever.

S

I agree..They have been contacting my band for the last few months to play and we keep turning them down..I guess the words out its a tough place to play..But then again theres a million bands that will play for free but wont draw at the door so they have definitely shot themselves in the foot..
There is a new person booking shows though..But Id still rather turn it down..

A

I feel like this place gets a bad rep from too much speculation. I've been to my share of dirty little punk bars in Lower Haight SF, Richmond and Oakland.....A "Fight Bar" this place is not. As for it being in "Sketch Town"....Well, yea it doesn't have a Starbucks nearby....but it's not like you can't walk down the street......( But hey...I go to East LA for Tacos...so, my idea of sketch is a bit different...). On the other hand, it's definitly not the "Disneyland-PolyPop" crowd sort of Tiki Bar. This place serves one purpose.....to get ya drunk! Good decor, nice strong drinks, good surf tunes...... Don't expect any "Hoity Toity" fancy rums.....but do expect to be dizzy after only 1 Pele's Punch. I'll definitly being going back soon.

M

After living in Long Beach for awhile you almost seem to have a false sense of security even in some of the more ghetto areas because of your exposure to it. Even though i live in the "Nice" area of Belmont Shores there is still crazy shit that can go down on 2nd Street. Ex: Skinheads head butting a guy in front of the Acapulco bar and breaking this guys nose, plenty of drunken street fights ive seen people get tasered on my street, yet i feel safe among all this random mayhem. Isolated incidents happen, but if Puka wants to establish itself as a Tiki Bar destination it will have to get a couple Samoan doormen and polish its reputation. After a couple of those drinks i would be useless in a fight to defend myself anyways. The bar tender did cure my wifes hick ups with this crazy Shaman powder concoction once which was pretty cool. I dont want to discourage any tiki bar from prospering especially one in my home town but i think that place needs to do a little tweaking and get some good P.R.

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-03-28 08:08 ]

went there the other night and everything was fine.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

S

Its a fun place for sure and random violence happens anywhere at any given moment..My not liking the place was based more on the treatment of bands..Couple that with the fact they have been robbed as with the customers in the bar its easier to just stay away..

That night was a little much. We, as a band, do not tolerate crap like that. And, if we could have stopped it, we would have. I would of gladly broke my upright bass over one of the dudes head!

I've played there 4 times and that will be the last time I play there. Not only did two females get sent to the hospital from getting beat up by two 'tough' guys, but my wife got charged to get in. Either she paid or it would come out of our band pay, which was a 'guarantee'. That's the first guarantee that's worked that way in my 14 years of professional music playing.

I've also seen many friends bands play there. I was there to see my buddy Joe Buck play and some Hessian was trying to start shit with me at the bar when I was there to get beers for me, my wife, and Joe's girlfriend with Joe's drink tickets. I told the guy that he didn't have to be a tough guy to impress me. lol!

Personally, I LOVE the place (even after they took out the original juke box they had in there with the Vegas Grind Comps and such)!!! My wife and I used to go in for happy hour when there would be no one but us and the bar girl.... very relaxing and nice. Great drinks, and I remember smelling the varnish when it was still being built up!

But as we started to venture in there for evening sessions and such, there was always creepy people in there and people who didn't really 'get' what the owner was after as far as ambiance.

I totally agree on them getting some Samoan Bouncers in there. Just for peace of mind.

T

Or, instead of Samoan bouncers, just get the Angry Samoans in there. They'd totally keep the wrong element ou...
Actually, it'd probably have the opposite effect, never mind... :D

Their website is down.

K

Hello Fellow Tiki Centralites,
I occasionally work as a Deejay at the Puka Bar and have been doing so for the past 3 years since the place opened. It’s a nice Tiki Hut I love to call home. Puka has had a positive effect on me, my friends, the neighborhood and has had support from several Long Beach City council members .However, I haven’t logged on Tiki cnetral in quite sometime and I’m very disappointed and some what angry that mostly everyone (who has posted negative comments) is so quick to judge how unsafe The PUKA Bar is after ONE barroom brawl!!!!! If that’s the case all bars, tiki or not should be considered unsafe! Yeah like fights never happen at bars. There is new management and more security measures have been taken to make sure events like this are under control. For all those other Puka Haters, Get a grip people u might as well stay home a have a warm glass of milk. Reality Check …… Its a chance you take everytime you go out to any bar, tiki bar or not! This site should be promoting the Tiki /Polynesian bars not bashing them.
Thanks for the few loyal patrons who have stood up for THE PUKA BAR!!!!!!
DeeJay K-Billy

On 2009-02-12 19:26, K-Billy wrote:
I occasionally work as a Deejay at the Puka Bar and have been doing so for the past 3 years since the place opened. It’s a nice Tiki Hut I love to call home. Puka has had a positive effect on me, my friends, the neighborhood and has had support from several Long Beach City council members .However, I haven’t logged on Tiki cnetral in quite sometime and I’m very disappointed and some what angry that mostly everyone (who has posted negative comments) is so quick to judge how unsafe The PUKA Bar is after ONE barroom brawl!!!!! If that’s the case all bars, tiki or not should be considered unsafe! Yeah like fights never happen at bars. There is new management and more security measures have been taken to make sure events like this are under control. For all those other Puka Haters, Get a grip people u might as well stay home a have a warm glass of milk. Reality Check …… Its a chance you take everytime you go out to any bar, tiki bar or not! This site should be promoting the Tiki /Polynesian bars not bashing them.
DeeJay K-Billy

It's not just once but they were also held up.

K

On 2009-02-13 10:18, tiki-a-fair wrote:

On 2009-02-12 19:26, K-Billy wrote:
DeeJay K-Billy

It's not just once but they were also held up

Like I said before....There is new management and more security measures have been taken to make sure events like this are under control.
Thanks for your continued support!!!!

[ Edited by: K-Billy 2009-02-14 14:43 ]

Dear tiki, live rock n roll lovers members of Tiki Central,
I also DeeJay Puka bar and KBilly is a dear friend. I also Book my productions there now. Been Safe as Safe can be at Puka. Friendly staff as well as great time. Yes Puka is like home to me as well.

It was rare that brawl had happend at Puka. I was there that evening and yes it was a suprise to all regulars and staff. Never happend before and never happend after that night.

As Kbilly had said on his post Puka Bar is under new managent and secirity measures are taken care of. Safe as Safe can be.
Been to other venues not to mention any names but brawls do happen and not just cops but ambulence and fire trucks came out. That was not the first time at that venue. So... it can be dangerous and unsafe anywhere these days. Like KBilly said truely for those that think it only happends at Puka Bar stay home and sip on tea or milk. There at least your home and safer.

Tiki Central is to promote a fun lifestyle, tiki, art collections & events. Not Meant to be Bashing others. If you don't know of out come of an venue months or weeks after an insitdent, please don't hate and bash. It can Happend anywhere in the world not just here locally mind you all.

continue supoort for events and venues!

A

He certainly has a point. I know of some pretty awful things that have happened at bars that I have no problem continuing to frequent without concern for my safety. I've never been to the Puka Bar, but would like to check it out should I find myself in Long Beach.

In defense I book my production there with bands and DJs. Not reg booker. I make my covers not 5 or 6 but 8 or 10 to bring in more dough at the door. I had decent crowd there good enough to pay the band and making it worth their wild. Not cheap bands but decent to exellent bands that all you love to see live. Just to let all you know again I'm not the reg booker there but I book bands and DJs to play for my production there. People have had a great time at puka bar just recently safe secure no troubles. so don't let 1 single barroom brawl let you shit your pants or panties. As I mention in post yesterday, no where is safe on earth now even being deserted on a private island you can be in dangered by sea creatures. Reality should be kicking in at this point. I'm on tiki central and many sites within the lifestyle to spread good vibes and keep the lifestyle alive. That's what these sites on the interweb is all about and should be about.

Continue to support local world wide tiki bars rock n roll bars, vintage tiki record shops and events.

Rockerforever

B

I had decent crowd there good enough to pay the band and making it worth their wild.

You said it !!

S

Stop complaining Nate..hahaha..You still owe me a pack of smokes!!!!!!

Talk about beating a dead horse....

gigs shows are not easy as book bands, bands come and play at a venue. bands, DJs and the promoter has to help in promoting and getting people to come. Its not ok there you said it not all it is... takes hard work, dedication and faith from both bands, promoters and extra supportto make a show a hit. It pays off in the long run.

rockerforever

K

Whats up Robin. I not compiling. I'm just trying to do some PR and defending the Puka against HATERS. I mean look at the name of this Form for godsake!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey I've been trying to get a hold of you. Give me your contact info
K-Billy

[ Edited by: K-billy 2009-02-18 18:47 ]

I love the fact Puka is right off one of the bus lines.....I can drop 75 cents from downtown and then get smashed....then spend another 75 cents to get home.....

Had a great time New Years Eve....loved the Luche Libre art show....Always seem to be something cool going on there.

Please post more of your events here on TC so we know whats going on there.

and please suggest to the owner/bartender to improve the drinks to a Trader Vics/Tiki Ti/ Don the Beachcomber status, and I might come there a bit more often.

I have been there about 6 times and always enjoyed myself.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-09-17 10:34 ]

Does anyone know how things are at the Puka Bar, lately. I've been thinking about stopping by on my way to Don's. Is it still worth the time?

I usually go there 1 or 2 times a year.

I was there about a month ago on a wed. night.
very slow.

2 bands and about 15 people total.

I have never had any problems there.

I hear if you go on a slower night,
the drinks are a bit better.
(whatever that means)
I play it safe and drink beer there.

Jeff(btd)

So some people are saying, how come nobody ever mentions the Puka Bar in Long Beach Ca?

well here you go,
3 great bands, and a band I don't know anything about,
are playing there this Fri. 9pm to 1 am
5 dollars

Got my vest of throwing knives and a chainsaw! ready to go....should I wear the Razorblade
Bolo tie or the "Stiletto in the toe" cowboy boots! YEEEEEEE HAAAAAA!

A

Hmmmm... Is that an authorized use of Heather Watts' "False Idols"?

On 2010-10-07 08:56, arriano wrote:
Hmmmm... Is that an authorized use of Heather Watts' "False Idols"?

good question.

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-10-08 07:46 ]

Pages: 1 45 replies