Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Paipo Stone Tiki #47 - Cannibal Charm - SOLD

Pages: 1 11 replies

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Jul 23, 2008 2:17 PM

Something a little different this week....unleash your inner savage with the Cannibal Charm!

SOLD - thanks!

:tiki:

[ Edited by: Paipo 2008-07-26 15:10 ]

T

Beautiful work! Have you ever carved waxes for casting in metal?

On 2008-07-23 14:21, tikitees wrote:
Beautiful work! Have you ever carved waxes for casting in metal?

Ah.. from the mouth of a newbie! (welcome Tikitees)
I agree, this is one that should be mass produced. Everyone on the block wants one! If not metal, resin.
Outstanding!

Great piece!
That could be directly molded into a spin casting mold. No need to do waxes as stone handles the vulcanization process.

J

On 2008-07-23 18:07, bananabobs wrote:
I agree, this is one that should be mass produced.

Oh, I'm sure someone will mass produce it! Whether Paipo authorizes it or not! :roll:

But, yes, I agree that this is one Paipo should consider making copies of.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 4:14 AM

Thanks for the feedback tikitees, bananabobs, caffeinated and Jen!
Tikitees- yes, I have carved wax (only once). That part I enjoyed, but cleaning up the casting sucked. I wish I was more versatile across different media, but metal and plastic just don't feel right to me. I've pretty much given up on resin - I love the result, but the process (ie mixing and working with chemicals),the cost and time involved weren't really justifiable in the end - I'd rather just spend that time making more new tikis out of stone. I also have a small window of seasonality as it's too cool and damp here most of the year to get consistent results with resin. I had a lot of tikis go into the bin (or become fridge magnets) when I was making them.
I won't say never, but it may be a while before I do any more mold making and casting...

On 2008-07-24 04:14, Paipo wrote:
I also have a small window of seasonality as it's too cool and damp here most of the year to get consistent results with resin.

Here in the Land of California, namely the Village of Ventura, we have a rather long seasonality heck, we got nothing but seasonality. I would love to discuss a Paipo North, (west?) We have a little bowl of resin for breakfast most of the time so that would not bother me...well to be truthful; many Californians are mostly plastic especially the closer you get to Hollywood. But nonetheless, I would love to see some your art be available to the masses. Everything I have seen from you is true heirloom jewelry art, Cannibal Charm is the closest thing to "Low Brow" art and is perfect for a less succinct expression.

I love the result, but the process (ie mixing and working with chemicals),the cost and time involved weren't really justifiable in the end - I'd rather just spend that time making more new tikis out of stone.

I agree, to waste your genius on resin would be criminal, seeing that I have no genius at all, it would be a marriage made in heaven.
Think it over, the sun is coming up, I have to go do a ngeri Haka and run a dawn patrol (good waves today)

I just read your blog before I head out to the beach...(wow, from all the "F" bombs I would swear that your Scottish) but that sucks that people copy your art and the begging and pleading here in no way constitutes a desire to "Rip-off" any of your work.

[ Edited by: bananabobs 2008-07-24 06:12 ]

this is absolutely breathtaking. i wish i could buy one :(

Gorgeous work. Have you ever cast in glass? Another messy process, but it turns out beautiful castings.

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 4:05 PM

Yes, you guys are lucky - warm, dry and cheap resin! I pay through the nose for the stuff I use (Alumilite) because it comes from the US and then goes through a distributor and then a retailer here. Same with the silicon. I appreciate the offer, and will keep it in mind for sure - it's just a matter of time like everything else! I would probably need to carev anything to be cast with that in mind - I am going pretty deep these days with hollowed-out spaces and undercuts.
Cast glass I would also love to try - I've actually carved a lot of gaffer glass (ie just cold worked it) and I try and check out any glass shows that are on. It's a very seductive medium and one that one day I'm sure will tempt me away from stone for a while (I also have made stone sculptures that I think would cast very nicely).
One of the most frustrating things about being a full time artist is finding time to actually "play" without it just seeming like more work. I am winding back totally on exhibitions over the next couple of years so i can put that time into expanding my creative portfolio a little...ceramics are very high on the list.
Thanks again! (Ps heelgrinder - love your stuff, wish I could afford it too!)

T

One of the most frustrating things about being a full time artist is finding time to >actually "play" without it just seeming like more work.

I know what you mean. I'm a full time screen printer and I always have ideas for prints and other art, but too much work stacked up. Never leaves time to dork around.

Ahhhhh, Paipo....just saw your mention of me in this post. I do like to barter... :wink:

Pages: 1 11 replies