Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Looking for someone to carve a large, light foam or fiberglass Tiki

Pages: 1 20 replies

T

Hey all

I was hoping to track down someone in here who can carve a few large tikis for stage props for the Tikiyaki Orchestra either out of foam or fiberglass, or some other light substance.

If any of you talented carvers in here do this please PM me.

mahalo

Cool, How 'bout a massive one behind the drummer, Like Blue Oyster Cult did with Godzilla!

T

Actually....We were thinking like about 18" tall, Like STONEHENGE... :)

B

COOL, 18" isn't too tall, did you mean 18 feet? That would be quite a job even in foam. I believe there are a couple companies in Broward county who specialize in that size piece and are set up to do it right.
I can't recall any names but check the local Yellow pages..
Now if it's 18 inches you want, I'm sure there are several local tikinuts who can do that for you.
Also check with wplugger here on TC as he has done some pretty Big foam tikis around!
Lookin' forward to a Weeki Wachee weekend!

T

On 2008-07-24 17:22, Benzart wrote:
COOL, 18" isn't too tall, did you mean 18 feet? That would be quite a job even in foam. I believe there are a couple companies in Broward county who specialize in that size piece and are set up to do it right.
I can't recall any names but check the local Yellow pages..
Now if it's 18 inches you want, I'm sure there are several local tikinuts who can do that for you.
Also check with wplugger here on TC as he has done some pretty Big foam tikis around!
Lookin' forward to a Weeki Wachee weekend!

That was actually a Spinal Tap joke.

Really what I want is 2 4' tikis in the image of our mug.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jul 24, 2008 8:37 PM

There was someone on here doing just that, foam carved tikis for one off rental (party props) or purchasing. And you reckon I can find the thread? of course not! They looked pretty good too!

Also look at how much they're going to be lugged around to different gigs. If they're going to do a lot of travelling, it may pay to get 'glassed ones, they'll be pricier, but a lot more durable :D

Hey Tikiyaki,
pm'ed you

RR

I've done them but I'm having problems sourcing large chunks of the right foam.

M
mieko posted on Fri, Jul 25, 2008 1:05 AM

I rented some foam tikis from a place once that got them sprayed with that Rhino lining stuff they use for truck beds - it gave the pieces a really tough, sturdy finish.

For Benzart:

Ian Faith: Nigel gave me a drawing that said 18 inches. Now, whether or not he knows the difference between feet and inches is not my problem. I do what I'm told.
David St. Hubbins: But you're not as confused as him are you. I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.

A

Curious- what IS the best type of foam for a project like that?

Marcus Pizzuti.

He made this 5 footer for me out of foam. Great texture job.

I know he has made tikis for Tiki Farm as well.

That's the idea !

How do I get a hold of this guy ?

P

i've also done this quite a few times. i just used simple architectural foam blocks. a 4' x 4' x 8' block will run a few hundred. you could get 4 tikis from it. the guy i buy foam from sells cylinders as well. a 2' one makes nice tikis. you can get them rhino coated to make them last almost forever. then do a nice faux finish.

you probably know some hack artist that slaps skins that could paint. :P

..wayne coombs of mai tiki can make those foam tikis for you or contact the folks at barefoot hawaiian/tiki terrace..they make all their tikis from foam and/or fiberglass for their traveling dance troup stage show and for the interior of tiki terrace....

Hey, Monkeyman - if you don't mind my asking, approx. how much does a 5' foam moai cost?

Didn't Tiki Diablo do some foam Moais for the Mission Tiki Drive In? I believe he is local.
Love the mug. I grabbed one for myself at the Blessing of the Hidden Village event. The glaze was well chosen! Sculpt would look mighty nice super sized.

G
GROG posted on Sat, Jul 26, 2008 1:41 PM

Your drummer-dude has carved a foam tiki in the past.

RR

On 2008-07-26 10:04, whoseyrdaddy wrote:
Didn't Tiki Diablo do some foam Moais for the Mission Tiki Drive In? I believe he is local.

I think those are coated in cement.

S
squid posted on Sat, Jul 26, 2008 9:57 PM

On 2008-07-25 11:02, pdrake wrote:

you probably know some hack artist that slaps skins that could paint. :P

You know what happens when you start volunteering stuff for "the band"! Next thing you know they'll want you to bring beer to rehearsal and share your girlfriend. Sheeeesh.

C'mon! I know you guys and gals can come up with the goods! Maybe a lightweight wood jobbie??

And remember, there's nothing like a hand full of splinters right before a gig!

Hey Kirby! Where are ya???

S
squid posted on Sat, Jul 26, 2008 9:59 PM

On 2008-07-26 13:41, GROG wrote:
Your drummer-dude has carved a foam tiki in the past.

I hate you so, GROG...

Pages: 1 20 replies