Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Amazing "Havana before Castro" book now out!

Pages: 1 25 replies

This whopper of a 256 page book is chock-full with eye candy, vintage and contemporary. Glamorous exotic dancing girls of the 50s...

...And of today:

Yummy rum cocktails:

Cool night spots....

...that used to be frequented by celebrities and mobsters alike:

Classic cars:

and tropical modernism:

...like at the Riviera Hotel...

...or the Capri,

...the Hotel on which roof the famous swimming pool scene in "I am Cuba" was shot:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zvwLZOpxAFQ&feature=related

We also believe that the nightclub's exit scene was shot right across from the Capri at this club:

..because in the camera pan you can see the Capri's neon sign across the street.

Here is the link to order this fine tome from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Havana-Before-Castro-Tropical-Playground/dp/1423603672/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Been waiting for this book to come out! Thanks for giving the heads up on its release.

Second that. Terrific heads-up.

Hope we may see you, and some other local Ohana, at the Hollywood Bowl next month for "A Night In Old Havana"...

could this be cooler!!!!! Its fresh inspiration I just ordered my copy I didnt want to wait until my birthday. I also ordered a book on graphics from the golden age of Cuba. seems like they would make a good set. Thanks for posting so many pics Sven . Im going to thoroughly examine each one! I guess I didnt realize therewas so much Mid centurey modern in Cuba. Dawn

A big thank you to everyone who helped to temporarily bump up this book to Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,806 yesterday! That is a damn good ranking.

Cheers!

Ah Sven, this is so amazing ! Can't wait to get my hands on it .

Wow! Paradise lost. Ever been Sven?

V

damn, it is sold out, and amazon.fr says it's releising in September.
Thanks anyway for the info Sven.

Whoaaa! That was FAAAAST! Very impressive...

Here's the next thing to do:
Once you get it, and if you all like it (and I know you will) please leave a multi-star (like 5?) review on Amazon.com. It looks good to have more than 10 positive reviews on there.... Mahalo! :)

..i did my part...ordered a copy the other day...i also ordered another book about cuba as well....can't wait to stuff my eyes full of this new book!!

H

What Sven said.

C

I added it to my wish list for when I have some money. Looks great

[ Edited by: catmomma 2008-07-28 17:39 ]

I was lucky enough to see the book the other night and it is truly awesome. The photos, writing and lay-out are all outstanding and it should appeal to everyone who digs Mid-Century Modernism, Tiki and retro in general. Can't wait to get my own copy to droll over. Thanks, Sven for posting those amazing photos and for the link to the "I Am Cuba" trailer on YouTube. And now, taking inspiration from the book, and to "celebrate" my first experience of a California quake, I'm going to mix up a couple of Mojitos.

C
croe67 posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 7:50 AM

I, too, got to see a preview of this book last week - a very, very cool book with great pictures of Cuba then & now - and some that show the same place back pre-Castro, as well as today. For some it's remarkable to see how much they HAVEN'T changed :)

got my book on friday..it's very very cool.....a welcome and informative addition to my library....you're gonna really dig this one!!

Thanks for the rave reviews, everybody. And it's back in stock and available at Amazon again:

http://www.amazon.com/Havana-Before-Castro-Tropical-Playground/dp/1423603672/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

Get it while you can! And remember, leave a 5 star review on Amazon for it, it's easy.

My books came in the mail yesterday. even better tan I expected! great reference material there's a certain Mid century modern aesthetic that I haven't seen before and plenty of great architectural renderings which is one of my favorite things!
Now the task is to apply this inspiration to create new tiki works

Thanks for the heads up Bigbro!! I just ordered mine!!!

Sven, went to your home page but it's all about BOT, not "Havana Before Castro". The link on this thread is not working. I'm ready to order this book. Point me in the right direction please. Borders?
oops, never mind, the link on this second page is working.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2009-10-16 20:48 ]

My home page? I have one? Oh, yeah, that one...that has been untouched since 2003...I really should get one. But this is my home page here, i have no time left for one of my own. :D

Paperback, nooooo. I want hardcover if possible.

Sorry, "Havana" came out in paperback only...was a price decision to keep it below 30.- bucks ...and the right one, in this economy.

Okay. Hoping Santa will bring it on his sled,.......errr outrigger.

SWEET!!!! Santa delivers.

The times are-a-changing!:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/world/americas/us-eases-decades-old-rules-on-travel-to-cuba.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=first-column-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

That sounds very good! And folks, you have your travel guide in this here book at hand!:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29211&forum=1

This and more from author Pete Moruzzi:

Touring the Mafia’s Havana Hangouts of 1950s Cuba

Pages: 1 25 replies