Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Any events on Big Island in early Sept?

Pages: 1 7 replies

D

Greetings all!

My wife and I are going to Hawaii for the first time in my life for about a week, probably around the first week of September (though dates are, at this point, a little flexible). We have decided to spend our entire week on the Big Island, and we have loads of great ideas for things to do (the "Big Island Revealed" has been very useful in this regard, as has this site). However, in addition to the regular site-seeing activities, we were wondering if there were any tiki-related events (concerts, conventions, etc.) that are taking place on the Big Island during this approximate period that we should be aware of?

Thanks!

Dolchas

S

Check this page out .

http://www.bigisland.org/calendar/

I think it is a general misconception that the islands must be hotbed of Tiki culture. Compared to the mainland, they never were, and they probably never will be. Except for the occasional Don Tiki performance, there are no "Tiki events" happening there.

ON the Big Island, you have to make you own Tiki Events, as they don't really HAVE Tiki events there.

A trip to Honuaunau Place of refuge, Watching the Sun set with a Mai tai at Don the Beachcomber, Volcano National Park - Hiking out to see the lava flow, or down into Kilauea Crater....

Kailua Kona has lots of Tikis everywhere, and there is one great shop right on Ali'i Drive in the Kona Marketplace that has lots of cool tiki lamps, and other cool stuff, like this cool Tiki Guiro...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuKCTdZSd8E

Also, in the INTERNATIONAL MARKET (not to be confused with the International Marketplace in Waikiki) they have cool tiki stuff you can buy.

Please do a search on here to find all the Big Island activities.

"This Week" also may be of assistance:
http://www.thisweek.com/bigisland

Never any tiki events on Hawaii or other islands, but there are plenty things to do and see that might have a tiki at that location. Don the Beachcomber has a big tiki by the bar. Our island has plenty of culture and history for you to learn and see especially since this is your first time visiting. We are not like the mainland so your expectations might be too high. We malama the aina and kai and take pride in our culture. Perhaps you should do more reading and rent a DVD on Hawaii before arriving so you know what to expect.

Malama pono!

On 2008-08-20 01:28, HinaHinawahine wrote:
Never any tiki events on Hawaii or other islands, but there are plenty things to do and see that might have a tiki at that location.

If you drive to Punalu'u you'll see this guy before you get to road's end. Many others to find in the wild too.

If for some reason you go earlier, you will not want to miss the Queen Liliuokalani canoes races which I think this year falls on the weekend of the 30-31 of Aug. There will be festivities along with the races. Lots of fun.

Pages: 1 7 replies