Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

bulb in float lamp??

Pages: 1 15 replies

hello all,

i have a question i just got a float in netting that already has a hole on the top (and i thought they didnt exists) but anyways now my dilema is getting a bulb and how to get it to stay in the float while it hangs any advise tiki peps?

thanks, hbtikibro

most larger hardware stores and many lamp parts shops sell the canopy you need for those lamps..they normaly are used for round white glass globe shades you see all over but the part you want is the brass cap and socket assembly...it fits in the hole and has a bracket that holds the shade to the brass cap....out of the center of the cap runs the cord to plug it in....i believe you can buy just the cap/socket/cord assembly without the white globe.....

thanks for the reply! okay today i went to home depot and could not find the part/ asked the guy who worked there and looked at me like i was crazy lol, so i was wondering if anyone has any other ideas or a name / link the part that i need i am getting desperate i want to get my lamp up and tiki -fying

Thanks, Hbtikibro

I've seen EXACTLY what Tipsy was describing at my local OSH store. It's sold as a hanging lamp KIT and contains just those parts you need. It did NOT include the glass fixture.

Now, I'm sure there's some variation in types and sizes, but I vividly remember a bunch of those lighting kits hanging in plastic bags containing the socket, electrical cord, and the round brass fitting that seals off the hole at the top and through which the cord runs.

Good luck with your float & post a pic when ya get it workin'!

Cheers! :drink:

I use a cord and bulb from little christmas village houses. They take regular christmas bulbs, so you can choose whatever color you like. The small size is perfect for ambient light. The cord is white, but you can paint it brown or whatever colour you want. However, the cord isn't that long. I have outlets in my ceiling, so you might need an extension cord.

(Here's 1 on e-bay for $3.50)

PS - you should be able to hang the float by the netting. The Rope Doctor sells pre-tied float nets if you need something sturdier. They have a nice loop in the top for hanging.

Great Minds Drink Alike

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine 2008-07-28 22:36 ]

wow thanks alot guys i think i am going to try and hit up OSH and see if they have the hanging lamp kit there is also a lamp store kind of near me that may have one , when its done i will post pics

thanks

HBTIKIBRO

T

I went to Lowe's and bought a candelabra base with spring clips on it, it was in the electrical aisle in plastic tilt-out bins hung on the wall along with all kind of other light bases. Then I bought a brown extension cord, clipped the female portion off and and wired the cord directly to the candelabra base. The spring clips hold the light in the hole in the float and also allow plenty of venting around the base so all the heat doesn't build up inside the float.

hello everyone , well another un-successful day at trying to find the Hanging light kit starting to get very discouraging lol, does anyone know where there is a website that has them or any more new ideas my float is l0oking very sad in the garage just hanging there with a hole in it. as always your help is much appreciated

thanks ,

HBTIKIBRO

M

Cost Plus has a hanging light socket and cord set for their paper lamps.
The cord and socket is not attached to the float it loops to the same place you hang the float netting and hangs down into the float.

http://www.worldmarket.com/Silver-Electrical-Cord-Kit/lev/4/productId/1710/Ntt/light%20kit/Ntx/mode+matchallpartial/N/0/Nty/1/Ntk/Cats/index.pro

I did a post about doing this, if you want to look up my name on the site Im sure you will find some helpful info. Use a candelabra base, they work better.

bringing this one back from the past due to a recent project ...

just finished this last night ,the net is one of those cargo nets for the back of the suv lol and the bulp set up was parted out from a cheap IKEA kids style desk lamp ( the ones with the brightly colored rubber shapes) well these have a christmas style socket and a spring system that holds the socket in place !The whole in the top of this glass ball was to small for a reg size bulb and the spring deal fit and hold nicely ( even without the net) shoulda taken a photo of that I guess lol.hope this helps somebody out !

What a fascinating use for a cargo net...... looks good!

I know many of you have seen the new LED bulbs in your local home improvement stores and then thought "Hey! I'll get me some of them...."

Well......

Don't.

At least not for this kind of lighting project.

The light they give off is directional and overly blue. The blue part is OK because maybe that goes with your color scheme.... but the light is surprising directional so anything you put it in, like a Fugu or Fish Float will only really light up on one side.

just saved me a couple bucks thanks! I was thinking of trying these bulbs to see what they did .

Oh and in case I'm not the only one , bulb in a float lamp ....2 bits!

[ Edited by: tikiville 2009-03-31 13:26 ]

The first item on this catalog page may be of interest to anyone who wants a black cord for a pufferfish lamp, etc.:

http://www.christmas-treasures.com/department56/GeneralVillageAcces/VillageLights2.htm

[ Edited by: slacks ferret 2013-05-25 08:49 ]

T

The way I do it is the way it was done lone ago.
That is I went to an old tiki joint, more like many old tiki
joints and looked to see how they did it.
Then I was lucky enough to find/ buy real old float style lights from
the Kahiki.

I've never seen the big canopy thing on the old float style lights
in the old joints.
Or clips of any kind really.

Just tie the cord into the net and let it hang down, this way you don't see any
clips or well anything, the net hides the cord.

The Kahiki lights were not tied in as well as I do even, they just got some wire and
kinda just rigged it in there.
It was really Ricky but it could not be seen from the ground.
"Look ma no clips"
See how the cord goes up through the center rope that is wrapped around it.
Then out the top of the hanging loop.

The canopy thing would be good for outside lights though.

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›•:TIKISKIP™:•:MAKES:•:FLOAT:•:LIGHTS:•‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›‹(•¿•)›

T

Ok one more and I'm done.
This is a bonafide 100% Kahiki float style light.
Look at the bottom, that's a washer in there.
now look at the top I did put in a new socket and wire but that's
more or less how it was.
I could not sell that light if I made it.
But from afar it looks ok.
And it's from Kahiki so that makes it all good to me.

-==--==--==--==-Google "Tiki bar lights" To find TIKISKIP-==--==--==--==-

¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦:-**-:¦:-·:''"":·.-:¦

Pages: 1 15 replies