Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Art Show at Forest Lawn 8/8/08

Pages: 1 42 replies

S

There appears to be another tiki art show and exhibit curated by Doug Nason (copro-nason gallery, author of "night of tiki" exhibition book) titled "In search of tiki" at of all places Forrest Lawn Mortuary? on 8/8/08

There is to be a catalog published. And it is to feature authentic oceanic artifacts as well as new tiki art.

Judging by the ad, I would say it is fair to assume Shag will be featured.

Links:

http://www.forestlawn.com

http://forestlawn.com/Special-Events-And-Facilities/Event-Detail.asp?EventID=139

jonesEy and i will be hitting this show on aug 13. anybody wanna join us?

This has been covered pretty extensively in this thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29072&forum=1&44

WooHoo!! FYI...........

On 2008-08-03 13:03, Hiphipahula wrote:
I know I would like to hit up Damon's first bout 3:30-4:00 IT"S MY BIRTHDAY! Anyone???????? and yes DJ Lee,
Bigfoot after a perfect ending for a B.D. too..... any takers?

Forest Lawn
1712 S Glendale Ave
Glendale, CA 91205
(800) 204-3131

Damon's
317 North Brand Blvd. Glendale, CA 91203
Ph. (818) 507-1510 Hours: Sun-Thurs: 11AM - 10PM
Fri-Sat: 11AM - 11PM

Bigfoot Lodge
3172 Los Feliz Blvd
Los Angeles, 90039
323-662-9227

KimtheCanuck, Panda and I will be dropping by the show on August 13th too.

-mark

B

On 2008-08-03 13:03, Hiphipahula wrote:
I know I would like to hit up Damon's first bout 3:30-4:00 IT"S MY BIRTHDAY! Anyone???????? and yes DJ Lee,
Bigfoot after a perfect ending for a B.D. too..... any takers?

Forest Lawn
1712 S Glendale Ave
Glendale, CA 91205
(800) 204-3131

Damon's
317 North Brand Blvd. Glendale, CA 91203
Ph. (818) 507-1510 Hours: Sun-Thurs: 11AM - 10PM
Fri-Sat: 11AM - 11PM

i am TOtally there! will try to get there by 4pm to buy you a birthday mai tai!!

t

I wonder if this is like a time share hoax. After they get us there to see Tiki/Oceanic stuff, they are going to try to sell us burial plots. Hehehe

N

On 2008-08-04 10:20, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I wonder if this is like a time share hoax. After they get us there to see Tiki/Oceanic stuff, they are going to try to sell us burial plots. Hehehe

Or tiki mug urns.

Which may not be a bad idea. Copyright!

T

Hanalei Pirate and I will be there sometime on Wed 8/14 also.

And in general, is there anything going on for that night in LA?

Tiki Bob

A

We'll be there tonight after pigging out on tacos in East LA.....Ahhh...I'm loving my new SoCal digs

Aloha,

I'm so looking forward to tonight.

Finally a Tiki event in my area. I live literally back to back with the semetary on the same hillside.

I think it would be fun to go to Damon's after the event. {in Glendale}
It's a Restaurant/Bar with food, snack. They are also well known for their Mai Tai's and Chi Chi's.
Tiki Ti's is also not to far from the Forest Lawn, but it's so small.

I also have a pretty fabulous tiki decor in my house and would like to invite some people over for drinks later on, but will see what happens. Just in case I have plenty of drinks, a Tiki Bar and Gazebo on my patio.

I hope to see lots of friendly faces tonight.

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 1:56 PM

Tiki Bill and i will be there after we dig around for some zombies for next weekend.

bT

TS

Awesome show and turnout! Talk about A-listers mixing it up with regular joes! haha, That was one of the better shows I've been to in a while. It was good seeing everyone out celebrating tiki lifestyle. It was a pleasure to meet and see Mr. Douglas Nason(again), joSHAGle,Danny "Tiki" Diablo, Crazy Al, Leroy & Bob, Rebecca and Dave(Purple Orchid), Aaron Kahan, Mr. Chris Nichols, and the many other TCrs who were in full force. Saw BigBro, but he had a circle around him, everytime I passed by...Next time Sven, you polypopular guy! :lol: I have quite a few pics of the exhibit, and it is quite a broad spectrum of a collection. I'll try to get them up soon. All in all, a Very well done presentation and exhibit. Cheers and congrats to all who were involved!
-Slick

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-08-07 22:22 ]

JB

What an incredibly great event! So good to see everyone! Here's a few pix from the camera of Kazuo Kim -

A

I'm still recovering from over doing it on pork ribs and Won-Tons.....oh my they kept those food plates coming..... Lots of beautiful art and some great music from The Dynotones.........My moment of Zen? When the older gentleman at the sign in table almost bust a gasket when I wrote my name as "Mr. Joyboy"....Glad to see people remember good movies....

T

A lot of great work up on the walls! The lighting and arrangement is very nice. The show's missing quite a few really talented tiki artists, but other than that, its top knotch.

Here's the Official Event Tiki Necklaces with hang tag that I did for the show. They're available in the Museum gift shop for $20. They're limited to about 50 and not sure how many are left after last night! They come in Hot Lava, Sea Foam Green, and Driftwood Muck!

T

How cool tOny, totally want one or three

KK

On 2008-08-08 08:46, aquaorama wrote:
I'm still recovering from over doing it on pork ribs and Won-Tons.....oh my they kept those food plates coming..... Lots of beautiful art and some great music from The Dynotones.........My moment of Zen? When the older gentleman at the sign in table almost bust a gasket when I wrote my name as "Mr. Joyboy"....Glad to see people remember good movies....

Now that is the funniest thing I have heard all week. I should have watched "The Loved One" before going.

great show! a must see just for Nason's gelatin silvertone-ish photos, the austral piece, "Herman" moai, and PNG pieces from personal collections. The show was missing some peoples (modern)work i would have liked to have seen, but the pieces from peoples collections make it worth the trip up the windy hill. I found myself geeking out and mubbling like a jerk when saying hello to Leroy, never can get out any words that sound like I am remotely educated when i see him, more like "aa duh, neat wood!" Gonna get back there a couple of times to spend more time soaking it in. Oh, myself and Tiki Tony's friend are not SHAG. Though asked by different folks (wtf), it will not be cause for me to get contacts instead of glasses. In my case I felt bad for shag, maybe i am bizarro shag, the broke hobo version, but the comparison, and the fact i am 2x his size, ends at we have hair and glasses. oh, and i also usually wear shoes that lace up. All kidding aside, a wonderful show at a beautiful location.

Aloha kaua
p.s Bill, did you get stranded there? did they lock you in?

[ Edited by: OceaOtica 2008-08-08 10:37 ]

I gotta tell ya-driving up the hill into the cemetery was super cool but when I opened my car door in the parking lot and heard loud surf music (the dynotones)comming from somewhere I new this was going to be freakin amazing. Really I think this was one of the best Art shows I have ever been too!! The Art was top notch..I really liked the tiki's that came from other peoples collections from around the world. They even had some mugs there on display. I think they did a good job of combining traditional stuff with new poly pop stuff. What was even cooler was seeing a bunch of TC'ers Old and New. I really felt at home at Forest Lawn last night. Oh and view is incredible outside. I am so glad I went.

We had a wonderful time. It was fantastic being new to the scene and meeting so many people I've heard about and whose work I love. Everyone was so gracious and helpful in educating a "Newbie" as to what to look for, where to go and places to drink!

I

It was so nice seeing all of you this past evening. Swell evening and great music. Hope to see you at TO...

T

Last night at Forest Lawn was one of the best Tiki events I've ever been to! Had the best time,so worth the hang over!

Majorly koolamundo event!!!

:tiki: Welcome to Paradise! :tiki:

(I suppose some folks MAY see Forest Lawn as a transition to Paradise, but NOT quite in the way the Tiki Ohana do! :wink:)

Here's some pics for those who couldn't make it, although the show itself DOES run through Jan. 4th, 2009, so you have NO excuse to miss THAT! :) And please keep in mind that by NO means did I photograph everything in the show. This is merely a good representative sampling.

First up, the amazing Oceanic craftsmanship of the great Leroy Schmaltz...

...and here's the man himself with a spectacular example of his work. Sorry -- he told me it's already taken & the guy's just waiting to pick it up when the show closes! (I HATE him, whoever he is!)

And here's Leroy again, this time with Bob Van Oosting, his longtime business partner (and co-owner/founder of the legendary Oceanic Arts in Whittier), posing with co-sponsor of the show, Doug Nason, collector and gallery-owner extraordinaire.

A wonderful Wayne Coombs tiki.

Collaborations and individual work by Dave "Squid" Cohen with Kevin Kidney and Jody Daily.

A nice piece by Gecko.

From the Disney film 'Lilo and Stitch'.

Everyone knows ya can't have tiki without some tropical black velvet!

And ya can't have tropical black velvet...

...without a piece by the man who INVENTED it: the Master himself, Edgar Leeteg!

And what would a tiki exhibition be without MUGS???...

LOTS of mugs!

(Naomi and Sven were joking that there should have been printed score-cards for the attendees with little boxes to tic re. which mugs folks had in their home collections! Hey -- I know I found myself saying "Got that... Got that... Have that one on lay-away... Don't have that one...YET. And I'll NEVER be able to afford THAT one! :lol:)

And when it comes to the craziest of tikis, who can beat that insanely skilled and wildly imaginative carver Crazy Al?

Want a closer look?...

Dig all that lovely detail!

And what's the only thing crazier than one of Al's wiki-wacky creations?...

Why, the dude HIMSELF, of course! (Seen here with Yours Truly, wearing one of Al's pendants for last year's Oasis!) And why can't I ever find a great tapa-shirt like THAT, huh?!

Then on to a selection of authentic Oceanic artifacts...

Such as these spectacular examples from the amazing collection of Mr. Nason himself.

And LOTS more authentic pieces from too many cultures and islands to mention...

Gorgeous stuff, eh?

And, last-but-certainly-not-least, we have the painting which became the poster for the exhibition...

'In Search Of Tiki', by none other than...

...the always snazzy, ultra-hip, unassumingly friendly, and disgustingly talented SHAG! (Here seen with ol' Castaway Clemens himself, alias KreepyTiki.)

Well, that's all for now, folks! But I'll leave you with a peek at my JoSH AGle signed exhibition program!...

(Get 'em while they last!)

And all of THAT at Forest Lawn, no less! Who'd-a-thunk it? The mind boggles!

Cheers! :drink: :drink: :drink: :tiki:

[ Edited by: KreepyTiki 2008-08-08 12:47 ]

T

Great photos there. ONly way a lot of us will get to experience. Mahalo

It truly was a magical evening. The drive through the park to the location high up on the hill, overlooking the city, the setting sun basking all the attendees in a warm glow, the incredible array of quality Tiki objects expertly grouped and displayed, and a convergence of the who's who of Tiki art (NOT meant in a hoity toity sort of way) like I had never seen before: When do you see Bob and Leroy and Shag and Danny Gallardo and Tiki Tony and Crazy Al and Cass and so many more talented artists and TC Ohana all in one place? Thanks Doug and Jeff for a memorable event in Tiki history.

TS

Paul definately covered it!
I have a few shots to share as well...Enjoy!

All in all, a great show and in the "strangest" place!
I'm going back to shoot the statues soon!

S

Boyfriend and I were there, but we don't really KNOW any of y'all from the Tiki Central boards, so we mostly kept to ourselves (and checked out the art, SHAG, the Dynotones and the Won Tons!).

It was a pretty amazing venue for such an event...seemingly odd at first (a cemetery???), but as mentioned by others, the winding drive up the hill was PHENOMENAL right at sunset and we loved the rooftop views nearly as much as the tiki!!!! Such fun and we loved the contrast of original art from the islands overlaid with the masters of modern tiki.

I wish we would have know who y'all were. Next time!
p.s. I had my dark hair in ponytails, black dress, red lipstick, big shades and a retro-fabric tiki handbag that I had SHAG sign. Boyfriend was in a teal western snap shirt and black skinny jeans. If you see us next time, SAY HELLO!

T

fabulous event and evocative setting. the exhibit was awe-inspiring. i guess i'm one of the naive ones who took the "no photographs" signs posted everywhere seriously!!??

oh well, the show catalog is enough for me.

T

On 2008-08-08 11:52, Tom Slick wrote:
Paul definately covered it!
I have a few shots to share as well...Enjoy!

I was McLovin' this piece from Leroy !

Great show.

So Sven, Tiki as Museum art, not kitcsh...I bet you're a happy camper, huh ? Has it moved from "Low brow" to, perhaps, "Mid Brow" now ?

The Dynotones rocked too !

Nice seeing SHAG there, I wish he'd show up at more TC events, but I guess that's askin alot :)

That peice he did for the show was really great tho'.

I was playing the "Got it , Got it , Don't Got It , Need it..." game at the Mug display....Looks like I need to beef up my mug collection.

It was great seeing everyone there, and at Damons too.

B
BigToe posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2008 1:36 PM

First and foremost I want to thank Big Toe for toting me up to LA and
Damon's.I had such a great time .My hats off to all that were involved in
putting this event together.This is the best event I have been to in a while.
There are quite a few more talented tiki artist that truly deserve to be in that
caliber of exhibition that were not represented but wanted to mention, too many
to list their names.Paul Clemens I am sorry I did not see you or get a chance to talk
to you at this great event .Great pics and commentary Paul-nice job.If you live
in So Cal. you owe it to yourself to go see this exhibition.Won't be quite the same
without a band or the who's who in TIKI, but still well worth the visit.I wonder if
they will have a closing show?
Cheers,
Trader Bill

simply awesome!
and surf tunes to boot.
how much better could it have been?
well mai tais whoud have been nice,
but thats why we went to Damons before, and Big foot lodge after.
:wink:

thanks for spinin tunes for us over there Lee.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

This was the first time I've seen a two-headed Kava Kava Man and Moai.

The title of the piece on the right was amazing: "Fish to Crocodile to Bird to Man"

[ Edited by: TikiSan 2008-08-09 21:17 ]

...and here's the man himself with a spectacular example of his work. Sorry -- he told me it's already taken & the guy's just waiting to pick it up when the show closes! (I HATE him, whoever he is!)

True story, and I'm sorry I just found this thread today. found out from Otto about this show, but it'd slipped my mind until I saw the Ad for it in the LA Times. So along with my Wife and Step Son, we went to the exhibit earlier this afternoon, and bumped into the guy who bought this piece. I didn't catch his name sorry, but he will be at Oasis this weekend, and he's looking into becoming an Art Dealer and was interested in getting my business card...but stupid me, I didn't have to give. Damn me.....

But the exhibit itself was great. Gave me lots of great ideas for my own work, just gotta sit down and get to it.

When does the show end?

1/4/09.

(Nevermind).

This show is still going on, and it is great. Hardly any people, and I had the whole place to myself. I will post pictures later this weekend. If you haven't visited yet, you have plenty of time. It is well worth it (even if it is free).

As promised, more photos from In Search of Tiki. I was snapping away like crazy because there is a small sign in front of the building saying only commercial photographs were banned. After I had taken about 80 photos inside, the lady behind the counter told me I wasn't allowed, then drew my attention to a small 6x8 sign stating the same. I gladly put my camera away since I had all the photos I wanted. I tried not to duplicate what has already been posted.

Lil' TikiMango had a blast there.

Did I mention the Gift Shop is fully stocked again.

C

I also got to drop in on this exhibit last week when in LA.
Definitely worth a drop-by, if you haven't seen it, yet.
Very nicely done!

AND - if you buy $20 worth in the gift shop, they'll give you a brochure with full pictures & descriptions of the exhibit items!

If anybody has time on Friday before the Damons tiki mag release party,
they should go to this, its pretty close.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Bump,
maybe this would be good to swing by on the way To the Tonga Hut event sat. night.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

bump

Pages: 1 42 replies