Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Standard Hollywood Tropical Drink Menu

Pages: 1 13 replies

Hello,
For the folks in Los Angeles, come drop by the Standard Hollywood POOLSIDE for our NEW tropical cocktail menu. The menu itself doesn't look like much, and upon first glance, may not seem very comprehensive. What lacks in quantity is made up for in quality. In addition to a few carry overs from our old menu, we've added a Mai Tai, a Pisco Punch, a Flamingo, a Dr. Funk, a chi-chi, a Sharks Fin (not tooth, but close) a Leilani, and a few other surprises that you should come check out.

I was skeptical at first, I didn't want to participate in the butchering of classics we all cherish. Not the case. These drinks are all different, refreshing, and delicate.

I can guarantee you a few things. They are made with fresh ingredients, fresh juices, they have equal parts citrus to sweetener, and while one or two are "updated to modern tastes," I can personally vouch and say the updates work beautifully. For example, in the Dr. Funk we are using Pom extract instead of grenadine, because, well, Pom extract is closer to traditional grenadine than most bar grenadines. The F & B department dedicated time and resources to making this new menu, and I feel if fits the Standard's vibe/feel/location perfectly. These drinks will all come in around twelve, coming in a bit lower than the nearby Trader Vics but a few higher than Tiki-Ti. But listen, it's poolside and you can see the whole LA basin!

We launched these yesterday, so give it a week or so for kinks to iron out. Then, I say, drop by and bring your friends!

P.S. yes the Mai Tai has orgeat syrup, lime juice, a jamaican, a gold, and the rest you should taste for yourself.
double P.S., you cannot acquire these drinks in the Purple Lounge, only in the cactus lounge/poolside area. Ask the host for a seat and have fun.

I can't vouch for the drinks, but the poolside location, view and party atmosphere are all excellent.

I like the drink menu. Where is it? We will be on the mainland in Long Beach, California for the E Hula Mau the last weekend in August and staying with friends when pau with competition. Maybe the presence of islanders will make the drinks more 'ono and also meet some TC ohana.

On 2008-07-29 22:58, HinaHinawahine wrote:
I like the drink menu. Where is it? We will be on the mainland in Long Beach, California for the E Hula Mau the last weekend in August and staying with friends when pau with competition. Maybe the presence of islanders will make the drinks more 'ono and also meet some TC ohana.

I have to get my tix for Saturday which features Kahiko hula.
Walking distance would be the Mai Tai Bar.

A short drive would be Kona's or the Puka Bar.

Would you not recommend us going to the Standard Hollywood? I have never been any further than Long Beach on the mainland at E Hula Mau for competition. Maybe just the festivities on Saturday evening in Long Beach will be enough and hope we are celebrating our halau winning again this year. Much mahalo for your suggestions. Friends live Redondo Beach.

The Standard Hollywood is a very Sunset Blvd. scene. Think hoards of beautiful 20 somethings looking to get their drink on, with commensurate expensive parking and drinks. Poolside cocktails finish at midnight.

The Saturday Bash is very tame in comparison as it is more of an Ohana vibe.

Long Beach, and Pine Ave., has a scene which is not too unlike Sunset Blvd.

J

Some views from the Standard a couple years ago.

The 'Diner' on ground floor

Rooftop/poolside lounge

H

These pictures would be from the Standard in Downtown, L.A., I think he works at the other location on Sunset Blvd. in West Hollywood which looks different. Maybe Christiki295 has some pictures to post.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 7:29 AM

Typical. Everybody's either posing, trying to relax on chairs that look sticky, or bored out of their minds. Or all three; which seems to be the objective. At least they have entertainment. Ooops! No entertainment!

Nobody's having fun in the pool, natch. Why even build it?

Typical L.A. scene.

If you wanna have fun, come to the Pearl in San Diego on virtually any night. The lounge scene is amazing, everybody's welcome, Derek just did their postcards.

http://www.thepearlsd.com/

Or the Lafayette Hotel with its Red Fox Steakhouse and hopping uber-retro bar!

http://www.lafayettehotelsd.com/

Laytah.

H

Typical Tiki L.A. scene is not going to the Standard. L.A. is closer to Long Beach than San Diego, so try Tiki Ti for great drinks or go to the Warehouse in Marina Del Rey, or try Trader Vic's at the Hilton for great Mai Tai. Also you might want to walk around Hollywood Blvd. if you have time to spare. Have fun.

I think R.A. was merely pointing out that there was a bar that had a good number of tropical classics on the menu, not saying anything about party atmosphere. It's a stylish place to relax and give out of towners a view of the city, just like the downtown one. For a completely unique, fully themed experience I recommend the Edison downtown, what a well done place, with an interesting cocktail menu, too. Not Tiki, but just as otherworldly.

Take it back!!! Those are fighting words around here, besides, the tranny hookers are way fewer and far between in Long Beach. At least on Pine Avenue...

Edited for apologies in case you are in fact looking for that...if you are then, well it's a toss-up :lol:

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-08-01 08:38 ]

[ Edited by: Jason Wickedly 2008-08-01 08:38 ]

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Aug 1, 2008 11:52 AM

Either way, if they built that pool only 8" deep it would take the L.A. crowd 6 years to find out!

Rick's Place at the back of the Hotel Figueroa is more like it.

On 2008-08-01 08:35, Jason Wickedly wrote:

Take it back!!! Those are fighting words around here, besides, the tranny hookers are way fewer and far between in Long Beach. At least on Pine Avenue...

This is getting far afield, but the tranny hookers are located on Santa Monica Blvd., not Sunset - Just ask Eddie Murphy.

Pages: 1 13 replies