Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Central Ohana

my 1000th post

Pages: 1 4 replies

V

This is finally my 1000th post. I don't post so much now on TC, but I've always had some great times here with all of you.

I remember being a lurker since the beginning of TC (I even registered at the Yahoo club), then I finally joined in 2003, when organizing my wedding and especially honeymoon. I remember having my first fights with the regreted Tikibong back then, when France and USA were not in good terms.
But then, I had the pleasure to meet him, and other friendly TCer, during my tiki trips.

In 1998, I discovered the tiki culture in Vancouver, while going to a party at the Polynesian room. I bought a vintage aloha shirt the day before, and smoked cigars while listening to my friends DJing.
I knew about Les Baxter, Martin Denny, and so before that, as I started collecting vynils, mostly lounge and easy listening, since 1996.
I also found Tiki news, and Organ and Bongos fanzines, wich amazed me.

Then, back to France, I discovered the tiki Tones, neo surf music, and soon, the Book of tiki came out. I wasn't the same anymore. At that time, in Paris, you could find Bosko's and Munktiki's earliest mugs. That was expensive, so I didn't get much, but if I knew...

In 2001, I got my first tahitian tattoo, as I was very much inspired by tahitian culture, art, language that I tried to learn...

In 2002, I went to SF. Otto Von Stroheim generously met me and my then girlfriend at the Tonga Room. What an amazing surprise, and what a finest way to discover the place than with a guide like him. He also showed us where the TV was, Bob's...He took times for us, although he just had his first son. That was very nice of him. I also found my first vintage mugs during that trip (Harvey's), and visited other great bars.
That same year, I also went to my first Trader Vic's in London, as well as the South London Pacific, I also did the fist Paris Tiki Room Party...

In 2003, we triped in South California and went to the most tiki bars and restaurants we could find, thanks to Tikibar's book. (tiki ti, bahooka, TV, Sam's, Caliente hotel....). 2 weeks non stop of at least one tiki place a day.
That same year, I went to Chicago and Atlanta. Duke and Amy Carter, as well as the Vastas gave us a fabulous time a drove us from our downtown hotel to the Chef Shangri La, and the Hala Kahiki.

In 2004, I did the trip of my life, during my honeymoon with Sandrine. We went to Tahiti, Moorea, and went to all the islands of the Marquesas with the freghter Aranui. That gave me one of my favorite post, showing pictures of paradise.
That year, we also went to Berlin to the defunct Tabou tiki room, the Trader Vic's, and the Rum Trader. Fun times. It was also the year of my second tatoo, made by Sunny Buick, and filmed by Jochen Hirshfeld.

2005, was the Tiki Crawl in SF, where I finally met my friend Tikifish, plus again, a south california tour. Easter dinner at Sven's house with Tangaroa, staying at Monkeman's place, visiting SDiego with Al&Shelly, going to SF with Monkeyman and Sabu, mai tais at Bong's...fantastic times.
Plus, the exhibition Paradirama in Sète, with Cheekytiki, Duke...
Then the fantastic Mai Kai at the Hukilau.
Then Hawaii (Gecko, Mariana sailing club, room without a key, thrift shops...)

In 2006, I went to the London Luau...and in Mexico where I saw Esquivel's tribute by Waitiki, DJed at the tiki bar, met Jorge Alderete. Lots of visit in Paris from friends (Pablus, Paranoid123, King Kukulele...)

2007, London Luau and Hukilau again, Berlin's tiki Modern release with Sven and others.
Then Japan, also to meet my theremin sensei Masami Takeuchi, (visit to tiki tiki Shinjuku, Trader Vic's...).

And this year, I already went to the Wassermusik festival in Germany (Don tiki ,Waitiki...) and had my first baby girl almost 3 months ago (Sidonie Maria Leilani).

Anyway, I'm sure I'm missing lots of important times, persons, and places for me, but Tiki culture and TC changed my life for sure.

Thanks to everyone I met, I always had a good time with all of you.

Nicolas

It wouldn't be the same without you Virani.

ALOHA!

I

Virani,

It has been an honor for us all, to have your presence among us. I've learned that buying a drink for someone at the Mai Kai's Molokai Bar is even more fun when that person has flew across an ocean to be there.

Your travels are truly an inspiration for others to follow. I look forward to seeing you at future tiki events (some day there has got to be a big event in Paris), and also to reading your next 1000 posts.

Vern

Congratulations, Virani! And here's to your next 1000 posts!

Actually, I found it amusing that you were bit by the tiki bug in Vancouver BC of all places! (no offense to the Taboo Dan and the guys at Funhauser :) )

Nicolas, we don't see any where near enough of each other considering we are so close, it has been a pleasure knowing you the past few years and I look forward to seeing much more of you and your family.
Lots of love
Jamie and Anjy

Pages: 1 4 replies