Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Locating Tiki

Bamboo Restaurant - Kapaau (Hawi), Big Island, Hawaii, Hawi, HI (restaurant)

Pages: 1 2 replies

Name:Bamboo Restaurant - Kapaau (Hawi), Big Island, Hawaii
Type:restaurant
Street:Highways 270 and 250 / POB 1463
City:Hawi
State:HI
Zip:96755
Phone:808.889.5555

Description:
Bamboo Restaurant has been around for about 14 years, featuring "Fine Island Cuisine". On Friday and Saturday nights, they have live, well known, music performers. The decor is reminiscent of Old Hawaii... bamboo, thatching, murals, wood floors, with a touch of country. Located in North Kohala about 30 minutes from some of the larger resorts (Hapuna Beach and Mauna Kea), it is are easily accessible in the small town of Hawi (pronounced ha-VEE). Dinners are moderately priced at $16-$32 for large sized portions, and finely prepared / presented. The menu includes entrees such as kalua pork and cabbage, baby back ribs, seafood pastas and salads, and fresh fish. Tropical drinks include Lilikoi (passion fruit) margaritas and Mai Tais (served in real coconut cups). Bamboo was voted the "best restaurant on the Big Island", per its web site. Not sure if that is a specific category, but I would give it an excellent rating in any category. The place is relatively small, so reservations (especially on weekends) are a good idea.

Try the ribs... they are fantastic. And be sure to try both the Lilikoi margarita AND the Mai Tai!! Both are made from fresh juice and delicious. Check out the live music schedule by calling in advance! I was able to see John Keawe (renown slack key guitar player, writer, and singer) along with his beautiful wife, Hope, dancing hula to his music. I was able to have dinner at Bamboo 2 nights of my Big Island stay, and was very pleased both nights.

Aloha!
Myke

T

Yes ! Bamboo, wayyyy up in the little sleepy Big Island town of Hawi.

Great place. Great food, nice atmosphere. Some nice gift shops up there too.

No Tikis in there, but still a great "Old Hawaii" kinda place. Perfect after a day at Hapuna Beach.

Pages: 1 2 replies