Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Ladies and gentlemen.... "THE HULA GIRLS"

Pages: 1 39 replies

ALOHA!

Kevin and Mick from the Smokin' Menehunes are joining me in launching this tiki inspired, rockabilly band. It's gonna be high energy rockabilly with tiki and exotic influences. Mostly original vocals, with some of the time tested Hawaiian favorites thrown in there for good measure. We're really excited about the direction we're taking with this thing. If you get a chance, we invite you to swing over to our mySpace page and add us. Take a listen to our first hit single, 'Hula Girl'.

Our first show is gonna be Aug 14th at the Bamboo Ben Hut. Hope you can make the scene.

http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

Sounds great, you might be on to something thereā€¦! I wish all the best with this band.

Tiki inspired rockabilly..Excellent..Good luck fellas..If Lucas gets to much whiskey in him I can fill in for him..hahaha

TM

I am swearing off the alky at any and all further tiki events....too much out of control careening, puking and having to have Bong save my ass from a beat down from the local tap-out crew whose truck I accidently brushed into on my way down!

Regardless, I am excited about this project. It's kind of like starting over, developing a band from scratch. We have not really played with Spike in over 4 years, so there is a lot to do, a lot to learn. I expect by the end of this summer we will really be hitting our groove, though!
Stand by for more news. It's great to be working with Spike again. The guy is very artistic minded, and gets the current retro scene real well. Things will be looking up, and I sincerely hope that those of you who never liked authentic Hapa Haole music will prefer this band, and come to the shows!
The Smoking Menehunes will not be playing anymore tiki central related gigs. We have enough work playing non-tiki private parties. (and getting paid mass quantities)
But this new band, The Hula Girls, is for all of you here on Tiki central. Something those of you who grew up on rock and pop will enjoy. It also will be considerably more high energy and LOUDER then the Smoking Menehunes.
It's a shame not more of you were able to make it down for the Smoking Menehune's gigs. Palika Pat Enos is one of the greatest ukelele players around, but I understand all to well that music in this scene has to be connected to low-brow and other tiki art/style. The Menehunes always took the traditional approach, with no thought towards style. Hopefully this band connects more with this audience!! See! Musicians (artists) DO listen!!

Sweet!! I am looking forward to seeing and hearing you guys!!

great tune! hope to hear more soon! btw. any plans to include some drums?

T

NICE !!!

Yee HA AloHA !

Funny, but some Rockabilly peeps showed up at the last Tikiyaki gig, which was a big surprise to me - I mean, Big Sandy was there ... how he found out about us I'll never know, but there he was !

So maybe the Rockabilly and Tiki crowd will intermingle more with what you guys are doing, and we all can benefit by having bigger turnouts at the Tiki gigs.

Early Elvis meets, the Hawaii era Elvis ?

Good Luck guys, this sounds great.

So, when are we doin' a show together ?

TM

On 2008-07-31 14:14, lemonsqueezer wrote:
great tune! hope to hear more soon! btw. any plans to include some drums?

We are currently looking. We got a guy coming down to next week's rehearsal...supposedly he is "fully sleeved"....!(whatever that means!)
Of course if anyone is looking to join this band, just let one of us know. All you need to be able to play is three beats: Swing, hillbilly/country and surf.

TM

On 2008-07-31 14:22, tikiyaki wrote:
NICE !!!

Yee HA AloHA !

Funny, but some Rockabilly peeps showed up at the last Tikiyaki gig, which was a big surprise to me - I mean, Big Sandy was there ... how he found out about us I'll never know, but there he was !

So maybe the Rockabilly and Tiki crowd will intermingle more with what you guys are doing, and we all can benefit by having bigger turnouts at the Tiki gigs.

Early Elvis meets, the Hawaii era Elvis ?

Good Luck guys, this sounds great.

So, when are we doin' a show together ?

I think a lot of rockabillies like Tiki. Probably due to the Elvis connection (which we are exploiting to the maxx!)
They probably came to your gig because they heard how good your band is.
Of course we would be honored in doing a show with you, Jim. We will be ready in a month or so...gotta rehearse more!

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.