Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Picts of Picasso's Marquesan Tiki - Sketches

Pages: 1 13 replies

T

I would like to carve a copy of the Picasso marquesan tiki. I've been fascinated by it's clean lines, an amazing piece.

I've only found images of the front side of this tiki, but so far no side view or back view.
So if you have any other images: front, side, back or anything please feel free to post them here.
Maybe somebody have already made a copy of it?
Thanks

So far here is what I found:

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-08-18 21:12 ]

A little more of the side can be seen here...

and a couple more that are similar:

Buzzy Out!

T

Nice man, Thanks a lot!!!

T

I've got my hands on a bigger pict of the face of the marquesan, I've noticed there is some kind of motifs / tattoo on the side of the mouth.
Any of you out there have picts of a similar marquesan style side mouth carving?
Thanks

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Aug 13, 2008 4:29 PM

I have more, but these are the most useful. Enjoy!

T

Sweet man this is cool, thanks.

I found stuff on one of the pair of marquesans that was sold that day. Chech out the price...

Lot 248, pair of figures, Marquesas Islands, 61 1/8 inches high

Lot 248 is a "superb" pair of figures from the Marquesas Islands. It is 61 1/8 inches high and was once in the collection of Ambrose Vollard, then Jos Hessel of Paris, then Jacob Epstein of London and the Carlo Monzino Collection.

The catalogue notes that the work follows "the traditional form of Marquesa architectural ornaments" and that large scale figures such as this "are more commonly found in stone." The entry also maintains that "the importance of these two impressive Marquesas figures lies as much in their sculpture and rarity as it does in their impact on the appreciation of Pacific art and the development of modern art." This lot for a while adorned Ambrose Vollard's cellar where he entertained andit was published by Paul Guillaume in 1917 on the occassion of his primitive art exhibition thta opened his gallery. The lot hs an estimtae of $100,000 to $150,000. It sold for $352,000, an auction record for a Marquesas Islands work of art.

In a catalogue essay on "Jacob Epstein and Carlo Monzino, two collectors ahead of their time," Jacob Epstein, a famous sculptor, is quoted as recalling that he first met Paul Guillaume in Paris in 1912 in Montmartre in a small attic room: "He started the vogue in African work. Of course, it was the artists who first saw the sculptural qaulities of African work, and they were followed by the dealers who saw money in it." The essay also quotes Carlo Monzino that "the culminating moment for me: the acquisition of the Jacob Epstein Collection in 1964. Many masterpiece from an unknown civilization, beloved by a genius sculptor, sold by his widow to purchase a villa at the shores of Lake Garda. And then the fascinating moments with the 'big old,' Charles Ratton...And the travels to Africa, together with Franco Monti. Love at first sight, for the 'negritude' - in all senses - heat, dust, chicken, dirt everywhere....But an irresistible fascination, so far away from the'exotic-charter'-style toursist." The essay notes that Epstein, who was born in the United States, but lived most of his life in England, died in 1959, aged seventy-nine and left behind "one of the greatest private collections of the Arts of Africa, Oceania, the Americas and the Classic world.

Tahitiki

[ Edited by: Tahitiki 2008-08-18 21:17 ]

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Aug 14, 2008 3:31 PM

I looked up that catalogue again on the Sotheby's site to see if there was a better shot, but the cover was the only one that had a good view of the cheek tattoos. Those shots are the best resolution I have (as found).
There are plenty of square space-filling motifs in Marquesan art to choose from - check out some of the carved bowls or coconuts for good examples.

T

I started a bunch of sketches just to get a sens of it. I'm not there yet but getting closer. Let me know what you guys think... suggestions?

That is looking really cool Tahitiki. I love the lines - I think you got it down!!

KS

H

Great thread and nice work! I lean toward the Marq style when it comes to my tikis, big fan--good to see, give us more!

T

Tahitiki

You brow goes down which gives is a totally different look. It looks nervous. But great drawing and I bet they do help a lot. If done a few Moais and it isn't until I'm finished do I see where I made all the mistakes.

Anyone out there that has the book mentioned at the top. Is it a good booK? Cause it is expensive like $57 dollars. Is it as good as Meyer's O.A. book but with different pictures

Aloha tiki lovers.This Marq tiki is really amazing i like it a lot maybe except the years little(they are a little bit too bristled up). Can you give me the link so I can see all the photos that are there?

T

Dude that's all the picts I have so far.
Cheers

T

Awesome thread! I don't think I have seen this thread before.

Thanks tahitiki! Good sketches! Looks like the back was probably very simple.

[ Edited by: TheBigT 2008-11-03 09:30 ]

Pages: 1 13 replies