Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Rum Tasting @ Tiki Oasis in the NorCal Suite (BYOR)

Pages: 1 23 replies

TofuJoe and I have have batted around an idea for the last couple of years and we have decided this is the year to try it out. We are always looking for new rums (and other alcohols to try) and it always seems you find the best ones through word of mouth. So, Friday @ 4pm in the NorCal suite (Room 1849) we are inviting you to bring a full bottle of your favorite rum (or gin, vodka, etc.) to share and a cup for your own use.

We will have each person say a few words about why they like this particular rum they brought (plus any info on origin, taste, what drinks they like it in, etc.) and then each person gets a taste (bring your own cup for tasting).

If you are interested in this tasting please post what you are planning on bringing.

Bringing a bottle is required to participate!

J

Well, it's not rum, but I plan to bring a bottle of Domaine de Canton Ginger & Cognac Liqueur if I can get my hands on one by then.

So far, here are some of the drinks people are bringing to share...

Rum Runner - Rhum Clement's Creole Shrubb
Kim the Canuck - Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Year
Mai Tai - Pyrat XO
Panda - Maker's Mark
Tikitastic - One Barrel

:drink: :drink: :drink:

[ Edited by: Tikitastic 2008-08-05 19:35 ]

J

Ooh, I'm sipping a glass of that Ron Zacapa right now! Yummy stuff! Better be ... I earned this bottle! :wink:

CL

So I take it that you're bringing a full bottle for everyone to share then Jen?

J

Um... no, it's not full anymore [hic]

I'm still planning to bring the Canton though!

Can't resist a rum tasting. I'm in.
I'll bring a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.

MT

Awesome, Nelva! Great choice, btw. We'll see you in Suite 1849, where... They're coming to get you, Nelva! To, uh, drink your rum.

its not super expensive but sometimes hard to find,
I will bring a bottle of Macombo dark rum from Mexico.
supposedly its one of the few last rums to be made the mexican way, and not the cuban way in mexico,
good dark rum, not syrupy or carmely great for sipping or mixing,
I get mine at Hi time,
hopefully they will have some.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

BTD -- I just polished off a bottle of that at home! The packaging on that one is really cool.

M

I'll bring...something delightful.

D#%^! That's during the time we are hosting our room crawl! Wish we could make it. Rum tastings are one of our favorite things. Hope you all (including Martin and Scott) drop by our party before/after theirs.

T

I've decided to bring a bottle of rum I've never tried before.

And on further review:
I have a half bottle of Diplomatico Reserva which I'll bring so we can try it side by side with the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. I find this comparison rather interesting.

And maybe something else. Not quite sure yet.

Looking forward to this.

[ Edited by: TofuJoe 2008-08-10 14:45 ]

[ Edited by: TofuJoe 2008-08-10 14:53 ]

I've got these little plastic shot glasses that I'll bring, might be helpful.

TWO

This sounds like fun. Though I am not nearly as rum saavy the other participants, my hat's in the ring.
I am planning on bringing a bottle I received as a gift and have never tasted. It could be shit, I dunno. It is called Starr. It is from Mauritius. The bottle says "Ultra Superior Light African Rum". As I said, could be shit.

I think I will bring a yummy bottle of Bacardi Peach!!

We recently read an article on Clement Rhum, and see that Rum Runner will be bringing the Creole Scrubb, so we will bring a bottle of the Clement Rhum Vieux Agricole - VSOP. Our local liquor is stocking great new things that BevMo just won't touch.

See you all there!
Aloha,
Myke & Jay

Looks like I will be bringing Ron Pampero Anniversario. See ya there!

N
NOTCH posted on Tue, Aug 12, 2008 8:46 PM

Ahaaaah!! I will be bringing Boca Chica!!! Jus kiddin
I got somtin more special but your gonna have to see for yourself!!

J

Okay, so I'm not bringing the Domaine de Canton as previously stated. However, I am bringing something that should prove to be more interesting. I haven't tried it yet, and the bottle is now in the hands of Otto, who will be driving it to LA. When I asked for "something interesting and sippable" the guy at Ledger's suggested it, so we'll see how it goes.

See you all in a couple days!

I also have some open bottles that I may bring along.
Agnostura 12 year aged.
and/
a St.James, Martinique rum, not sure which one of the 3 it is, but its good.

I was able to get the 20 year Macombo but its gone from 10 buck s to 40 bucks a bottle sheeesh.

and I found a 15 year bottle, that I have never seen before.

can you say "you big rummy"?

Is Agnostura the rum for all the Agnostics in Tikidom? :)

THIS tantalizing news should send them running to your little island of rum revelry:

"The Islands is pleased to announce that their bars will be serving Voodoo Rum drinks as specials all weekend
These include:

VooDoo Juice
Red Rum Punch
Red Rum Tsunami
as well as Voodoo/Redrum & Coke, and Voodoo Mojito"

...and:

"Thursday night at Bali Hai is sponsored by Tommy Bahama Rum
This means drink specials for you and a cool ice sculpture and TB babes passing out swag.."

Oh boy!

H

I'm bringing a bottle of Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo de Solera from Venezuela. I haven't tried it before, so it'll be fun for me to taste, too. Not that it's not fun to re-taste rum. Mmmmm.... rum.

Tikiwinebear, if the Rhum Clement you're bringing is the same one I tried in Portland, it's fantastic! Almost grassy, crisp -- very unusual and tasty.

See you there!

On 2008-08-13 13:37, Humuhumu wrote:

Tikiwinebear, if the Rhum Clement you're bringing is the same one I tried in Portland, it's fantastic! Almost grassy, crisp -- very unusual and tasty.

See you there!

Half the fun at taste testing events is trying out something you haven't had before. That goes with the Rhum Clement we are bringing. I sure hope it's the same one, Humuhumu! It does sound interesting! And the bottle is pretty cool too!

Boarding our plane tomorrow morning at 6am! Tiki Oasis bound!

Aloha.....

Pages: 1 23 replies