Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The Shagpile - an info source for Shag collectors.

Pages: 1 14 replies

S

The Shag pile is a source of information for fans of Josh Agle. With so many people investing in Shag artwork you might find useful to know what the going rate is or want to get an idea of what you've got is worth. The blog will focus on the sales of prints and merchandise.

(For details of Original Painting prices check the excellent http://shagwatch.blogspot.com/ )

I regularly update my posts with details of the most recent online auction sales. You can use the search function to search for the items you want to price up...

My home Tiki Bar (... very much work in progress!) also features and serves as a place to display what I have collected myself and kick back to listen to some exotica tracks. Check out ...

http://theshagpile.blogspot.com/

Any comments, thoughts all gratefully received...

T

Wow,

I have a SHAG print from the 2001 "Blessing of the Cars" show. Only 200 of those made.I wonder what it's worth.

Maybe one day I can buy a house with it :)

TS

Pretty cool.....I'd like to see more info on the serigraphs though....That's all I've been ever able to afford...I've bookmarked the site! Thanks

S

....Tom Slick I know exactly what you mean! I'm some way from ever being able to consider an original.

I'll keep updating the serigraph prices, might even try to add a little more detail about the prints - which exhibition they were created for etc.

Thanks for taking a look.

fun post thanks
I have been looking for a print of "the Yawn" from "Tell no one" aug 03 shows. - Not orginal - just a print. Anyone know where to find one?
Mahalo

Its for a friend who enjoys Jim Beam smokes and has 3 cats a girly (pretty much sums it up huh?)
looks like this: - from site

TT

[ Edited by: Tiki Trav 2008-08-05 20:39 ]

TT

On 2008-08-05 01:34, sasquatch wrote:
..."I'm some way from ever being able to consider an original."

Dont you have an original for sale on ebay right now?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=371449299&albumId=369498

S

... Thats Party Crasher's myspace page, he's the guy that puts together Shagwatch which tracks the prices of the originals and by all accounts sells quite a few himself.

... not to be confused with me and The Shagpile blogspot which tracks the more affordable prints and collectables end of the market.

I can see the confusion as I posted two links - but I can assure you that only http://theshagpile.blogspot.com/ is anything to do with me. I'm also a collector and not a seller...

TT

I see, sorry for the confusion, they all appeared to be from the same source.. cheers..
Tiki Trav

... labels now added to posts to aid searching!

On 2008-08-05 06:53, sneakyjack wrote:
fun post thanks
I have been looking for a print of "the Yawn" from "Tell no one" aug 03 shows. - Not orginal - just a print. Anyone know where to find one?
Mahalo

Its for a friend who enjoys Jim Beam smokes and has 3 cats a girly (pretty much sums it up huh?)
looks like this: - from site

I just bought that same print from Mike Adler at the Picture Show Gallery in Seal Beach CA. You can reach him at (562) 598-1600...and he can frame it in any way imaginable.

I wish there was a print of this Shag painting - Leonard Cohen Composes "Chelsea Hotel No. 2" At A Polynesian Bar In Miami - because it combines two things I love that on the face of it don't seem to belong together.

I wrote this this for an American singer who died a while ago. She used to stay at the Chelsea, too. I began it at a bar in a Polynesian restaurant in Miami in 1971 and I finished it in Asmara, Ethiopia just before the throne was overturned... -Leonard Cohen, The Best of Leonard Cohen

Hey spoke to the gallery in LA for the Yawn! - Mike was extremely helpful, great guy and shipping is deecent - thanks for the tip Jason.

I'm a huge Shag fan! Discovering his work was my introduction to the tiki scene, as well as
TikiCentral. Also ended up being a very expensive addiction. My current collection is about
17 prints, two originals, 12 mugs, 8 books, 4 shirts and probably some other stuff I can't remember
right now. I even turned a room in my house into a "Shag" room, but unfortunately I haven't "Shagged" in the "Shag" room. Having a mortgage and a kid has pretty much stopped my collecting addiction. Hopefully one day Shag will be as big as Warhol and I can sell some stuff to buy a retirement condo in Boca.

Thats some collection ... and grounds for divorce from my Mrs! ;0)

From the looks of things anything with Shag's name on it (and there is a lot of stuff!) continues to rise in price and is probably a better investment that pensions and shares at the moment!

Check out the Shag Pile and see if any of your prints feature on there....

Pages: 1 14 replies