Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Bilge

name of green & blue vans from 1972

Pages: 1 8 replies

M
mbonga posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 8:59 AM

Does anybody know the name of those lime green vans that came out in 1972 (at least that's when I first saw them) with the pretty blue band circling the edge near the top? I thought they were Volkswagen busses, but so far my online search under Volkswagen bus/van hasn't turned up any. There's a common, forest green Volkswagen bus that existed back then, too, but this particular van was a pretty lime green, much different. I still see them around occasionally, the last in Huntington Beach when I was riding with somebody else.

I want to get a vehicle I can occasionaly sleep in, and I've always liked those vans, so I'm thinking about getting one of those vintage vans. If that doesn't work out--and it might not, due to ongoing maintenance costs--I'll probably end up with a used station wagon.

A

Scooby Doo, where are you?

M

You all are too slow! I talked to an old guy last night who used to be a mechanic and he identified it right off the bat: it's an unnamed variety of the standard Volkswagen bus, of which Chevrolet also made a copy called the Corvan (Corvair van?) with the same color scheme.

TT

Like this?

[ Edited by: Tiki Trav 2008-08-13 17:58 ]

M

Same design, but different color scheme.

How bout green or blue vans.
Hope this helps

TT

at first i thought it was about the shoes too...!

I believe the shade of green your looking for was simply referred to as "Surf Green" I know Fender referred to this green a couple decades ago (or more) as "Surf Green" as well.

M

On 2008-08-13 17:54, Tiki Trav wrote:

Like this?

Nope, sorry, still not the one.

[ Edited by: Tiki Trav 2008-08-13 17:58 ]

Pages: 1 8 replies