Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Mahalo for the new Tiki Magazine Nr. 11

Pages: 1 17 replies

I wanted to thank everyone, Nick, Jonpaul, Kari, and Paul "Kreepytiki" Clemens for a great issue, not only lavishing an 8 page spread on moi, but also being in the same volume with articles on Kevin and Jody, Holden, Thor, ----and photos of Derek Yaniger, Jeff Berry, Tiki Kiliki and King Kuku...plus articles by Crazy Al, Jeff Chenault and long needed info on Tokyo Tiki by James Teitelbaum. It's the whole Tiki Family all in one issue!

...in other words: Go out and get this issue, it's chock-full of great stuff !!!

O

I was hoping to get my issue in the mail today, but alas not. Thanks for showing me the pics at the show Sven, that pic of Jeff kills me! Congrats on the article!

Whats on the cover??I let my subscription run out.:(plus the mail lady is a magazine hater!

G
GROG posted on Mon, Aug 4, 2008 11:55 PM

On 2008-08-04 21:47, TikiTodsmack wrote:
Whats on the cover??

Somebody didn't look at the Tonga Hut art show thread.

Well, that must be because it's a little long to drive from Lake Havasu to the Tonga Hut. I like Lake Havasu, it has the LONDON BRIDGE! But he's right, this thread should show the cover of the issue at hand:

This is THE Tiki revival history issue, I didn't know that not only me, but equally Holden and Kevin and Jody were gonna delve into how it all started for them. My only regrets are that due to space restrictions, the parts of me meeting Otto had to be edited out. But I am not complaining, 8 pages are unprecedented coverage! And I am sure Tiki Magazine has an Otto/Tiki News history feature in the works.

thanks grog for umm...nothing really..
Big Bro Thats awesome!!!I love that cover!!Havasu is a nice place sometimes. It gets REALLY crazy during the holiday weekends! The London Bridge is a sight to see during the sunset!It's a must see.:) Thanks again Big Bro!You were VERY helpfull!!

M

Sven - We got our copy today from 8-Ball. The issue turned out great! We're proud to be in such good company. And special thanks to Kari Hendler, writer extraordinaire!

N

A big thank you to everyone who worked on the issue. Tiki Mag is very much a team effort. My old baseball coach used to say, "There's no "i" in team." We were fortunate as well to have some great subject matter. I mean come on, Sven, Tiki Ray, Holden, Kevin Kidney, Jody Daily and Thor. That's pretty much as good as it gets. And.... we do plan on featuring Otto in an upcoming issue. We have some great stuff coming up in the next issue of Tiki Mag, so stay tuned.

Nick

Just got my issue in the mail, all I can say is WOW! Everybody who is Tiki is in it. Great to see Sven's place up close, thanks for sharing that.

B

Got mine yesterday: this really is one of the best ones. Great story on Sven.

Thanks! Please note that I insisted to have the Tiki Central desktop as one of the images in the article. It might look strange, as it is not exactly eye candy, but in the context of my interview, and due to the fact that I look at it daily, it deserves a place of equal importance in my Tiki world. So some members will find their name in the image T.M. pulled from the screen.

O

Awesome cover Thor!

yep, great issue, great read again.

Thank you, Kevin, Jody and Sven... For YOUR kind words regarding MY words. Getting to spend an evening with Kevin and Jody was a Tiki-Disney fantasy come true for me. And then, taking a crazy, whirlwind, road-trip to San Francisco to meet Kelley Hawks and crash a Tiki-wedding party (all in the name of story research, of course)... well, what a fine time I've been having! I think everyone had a blast putting together this latest issue (although some of us were still recovering from The Hukilau)! And, how many of us want to live in Thor's gorgeous cover-art painting?! I do!

It has been my absolute joy to write for Nick Camara since issue #2, and to get to know each person I have had the pleasure of interviewing and/or photgraphing for Tiki Magazine. I love being around creative, fun people, and there is no doubt that those who embrace the Tiki mindset are among the most creative and fun-loving this world has to offer.

I feel like sharing a little backstory: I met Nick Camara one year before the very first issue of Tiki Magazine came out. We introduced ourselves over a stack of Don Blanding books at the Cruz Hawaiiana collectible show in Los Angeles. He told me that he was a Hawaiiana-loving schoolteacher who had a dream -- to create a full-size, glossy magazine that embodied the aloha spirit and the people involved with this fantastic new Tiki resurgence. My eyes got wide and I said, "If you do this, call me!" I didn't hear from Nick for a year. Then, one day, my phone rang. It was Nick. "The first issue of Tiki Magazine just came out", he said. "And I want you to write something for the next one." He never forgot me, and, even more important, he had made his dream come true. Making your dreams come true is a powerful thing, my friends. And all of you who subscribe and/or advertise to Tiki Magazine mean more than you know.

I have been enamored by all things relating to Hawaii since I was a baby -- thanks to my colorful grandparents with their Los Angeles backyard "lanai", (which was my early view of this world), along with my ocean-loving parents, who made it possible for the sea to be my playground. I don't think that my infatuation with Tiki is going to end anytime soon. Besides, there are still many stories to write and photographs to take.

The greatest thing about this whole Tiki Magazine adventure has been the people I have met, whether they were subjects of one of my stories, or just enthusiastic participants at one of the many Tiki events I've attended. Everyone has a story to tell. EVERYONE.

Much Aloha to you All,

Kari Hendler

RH

Kari: thanks for sharing the story of your involvement with Nick and Tiki Magazine. It was nice to have dinner with you at the Mai Kai during the Hukilau opening show.

Sven: it was great to see such an extensive article on you - eight pages!

Nick has created a rock-solid magazine meant for everyone - it sells in Australia and New Zealand - and his "Tiki Island Lands on Planet Rooth" art show is going to be phenomenal. Come see our work there - I believe everyone who goes will sense the evolution that has been going on in Tiki art behind the scenes, but now REVEALED!

Aww, thanks, Robb! The feeling is mutual! Wasn't Florida just a blast and a half?! And I look forward to seeing you next Saturday in San Diego! - Kari

Kari -- Amen to everything you said about the magazine and your experience with tiki and the tiki Ohana! You, by the way, were a major role-model/inspiration for me in what I wanted to do for TM. The encouragement you gave me when we first met stayed with me, and your many fine articles gave me a good template for what to shoot for. Mahalo!

And, of course, I echo all of your sentiments, Sven! As one of the Big Kahunas of Contempo-Tiki, you've been an inspiration to so very many of us! I know that, speaking personally, without your indispensable BOT, I doubt I'd be here on this web-site right now, let alone having had the honor of doing the in-depth piece on you for the magazine!

And as for Thor, Kevin & Jody, Holden -- not to mention all my illustrious co-writers in issue #11 -- what incredible company to be in! Truly a virtual Tiki Paradise!

Mahalo to All-o!

Cheers :drink:

Paul (aka Castaway Clemens)

Pages: 1 17 replies