Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Gone But Not Forgotten! Over And Done With! It was: Tiki Yard Sale August 2008.

Pages: 1 16 replies

W

Over!

Done!

Finished!

Memories!
Like the corners of my mind! Misty water-colored memories
Of the Tiki Yard Sale we had!

***After this thread somehow got unearthed I received 3 different PMS from peoples wanting to buy stuff. So I changed the title. But am leaving up the pics because I can.

Everyone involved sold a heckuva lotta junk (mosta it CHEAP!).

The yard sale had an unexpected international flavor: Canadians showed up! After the long Canadian-US trade embargo it was good to once again do business with the other children of our common mother.

Also fun was I got to run off an early birder. He was all friendly and "Hey there!" like and I was all ornery and said "You can't come beyond that van until 10!" and he was all like "Well maybe I won't come back!" and he didn't and cool people got to buy the stuff instead.

A good time was had by all. Except the early bird guy who probably still tells his dealer buddies how he said he wouldn't come back and didn't. Loser!***

The original post from 2008:

As part of an attempt to commercialize International Tiki day into mass popularity a few of us here in the Jet City is havin' a Tiki Yard Sale this Saturday (August the 9). From 10 AM to 2 PM. It's also in conjunction with an art sale which is happening in the very same yard!

There'll be Beyond Tiki things at the yard sale, too. Because we all have too much stuff and you don't have enough.

Here's a lotta what I'm sellin'...And in most cases I'm sellin' it CHEAP. "How cheap?" you ask. REALLY cheap. "Oh My! That is cheap!" Then you faint in disbelief.

If you're gonna be at the sale/in Seattle and you see somethin' you want PM me about holding it/getting it another day. (Sorry! For sanity reasons "Another day" means Sunday or Monday...Not October 9th.)

Some shirts...

Mosta these are 60s size L & XL. A few of them need buttons/attention. Those ones will be CHEAP!

Some dresses...

All this style...

Apparently they're kinda skinny. I am sellin' them for what I payed: $4. FOUR BUCKS? Rip 'em up and make tea cozies!

Vintage aloha print fabric...

Most these pieces are 2 yards. The bright orange tikis one is larger.

Mugs & Tikis...

Odds & Ends...

A little more on the low end of odds & ends...

Look! The extremely rare Trader Vic's Salt & Salt shakers!

Placemats...

Furnishings and decor...

There are 4 of the leopard print pillows. How's $2 for all 4? CHEAP, that's how's!

BEYOND TIKI THINGS!

The flowered thing? A collapsible waste basket! Finally: You can throw away things wherever you go!

The choo-choo & flowers fabric thing is a house smock. Seemingly never used. BUY IT! Why let someone else's good taste stop you?

Yes, the baseball and football games are the original editions. Buy them, relive your childhood, save thousands you would have spent on therapy! Or just buy the Barbie clothes and feel pretty. Or get the bunny and be happy. Look at him! So cute! (And they taste like chicken!)

Posters...

The big faces are reprints of old Halloween costume box art.

woofmutt

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2008-08-07 22:31 ]

[ Edited by: woofmutt 2009-08-06 14:25 ]

OMNG you have the coolest stuff If this is the stuff you're getting ridof how cool is the stuff your keeping I hope Im the first one in line cause I see a few things I MUST HAVE!!!!!!

J

I WISH I LIVED IN SEATTLE! COOOOOOOLIO STUFF

S

good lord Woof. jeez.
I want that thatched roof lamp.
jeez.
is that your back yard?
I need to do more landscaping.
jeez

S

ps, I'm selling this dress and some other goodies.
or I should say, "since i"ll be stuck at work, Woofmutt and Dawn are selling my crap.
Pea

T

Awwww I need some new Hawaiian shirts... Wish I could be there to celebrate the tiki!

Beth

D

tikiwahine better wake up early, cuz i'm headed to Dawns to get that fabric!!

argh.. but.. what if we sleep in?? what if.. you just hold the stuff i want..i'll pay ya double!

D

oh damn, those pillows match the carpet in the Rongorongo Room.
is it made from real fur?

Dang! I'd love to get that fabric, but then you'd have to mail it to me. Or bring it to Oasis. Can you? Can I? Purdy pleeeeease???? Name your price!

MT

On 2008-08-07 20:07, dogbytes wrote:
oh damn, those pillows match the carpet in the Rongorongo Room.
is it made from real fur?

That is just so chock full of innuendo, do I even need to make a snide comment? :)

S

CRAZY!!!!
This is from last year, but how wierd is it that I'm having a yard
sale on Sunday AUG 9 of 2009!!!!!!
Not during the daytime though, no way jose, I gotta work first at luna,
then have people over to peruse and purchase!
Free PBRS!!!!!!!!!!!
gimme a holler if ya need the addy.
can't promise stuff as good at Woof's was.
not even remotely close, but can promise you might be wondering why I
even have half the crap I do.
I dont' know why either, but really, I'm trying to stop myself from becoming a hoarder....

whew I was thinking that stuff looked familiar, then I was thinking maybe I imagined I had already seen that stuff. maybe Ill come by yur sale. I shouild have my crate shipped off to oasis by then, and actually have some free time

W

"Can't promise stuff as good at Woof's was."

Ladies are used to hearing that from the guys they go with after me.

So I got this PM about someone wanting to buy bowling pins and I was a little confused. Then I remembered I had some bowling pins for sale last year. (I'd had a plan to build my own bowling alley but only got 3 pins, 5 balls, a few thousand feet of rock maple, 30 dozen pairs of shoes, and a corrugated steel roof...So I gave up.) So I glanced over here at Marketplace...

It rained for the first part of the sale last year. But Sophista "First Girl Eagle Scout" Tiki rigged up a tarp cover using nothing but sticks, twine, spit, and tarps.

Bringing all this back to the circle of life...That Hawaiian ice cream carton in the pic above? I bought that a couple years back at one of Sweetpea's summertime night time yard sales. It was at her former house near the beach and a lotta fun and we saw fireflies and the Northern Lights and an old Italian man with an organ grinder selling fresh roasted peanuts and we also saw a spaceship land in Puget Sound. So you should go to this year's summertime night time yard sale.

S

I LIED!
PBRs will NOT be free, they will be a QUARTER! (except for Woof, because he's going to be sure I have a UFO or at least an owl sighting
( I realized at my last yard sale I spent more on beer than I made, so I gotta at least try to break even...hope this doesnt turn away fabulous customers...)
Pea

W

Still, this sounds like the funnest thing happening in Seattle all weekend long. You should have yer own thread.

And since I just bumped this up: Important news about the Tiki Yard Sale: It happened a year ago! I ammended my original post. It's in the past and now we should all think about goin' to Miss Pea's to help her from becoming a news story one day....

"A strange and sad discovery today in Burien where a 97 year old woman was apparently crushed to death by a pile of souvenir thimbles she had been collecting for decades. Investigators said the thimbles pile fell over after one of the woman's 23 cats knocked over a stack of German beer steins which the as yet unidentified woman kept between the thimbles and an enormous pile of vintage tea towels..."

Woofmutt, it got unearthed because you just posted a link to it (in bilge, Salt and Salt shakers, remember?) without specifying that it was from last year! That'll teach me to reply without reading the entire thread!

When exactly does the yard sale start?? Everyone please show up at Woofmutt house and buy everything you can. Woofy is trying to raise money to finally open his wax lips museum. Someone please post Woofmutt's address because I no longer have it. See everyone on Woofmutt's front lawn!

[ Edited by: tiki-riviera 2009-08-06 16:42 ]

Pages: 1 16 replies