Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

where can you buy logs of any type????

Pages: 1 5 replies

hello everyone,

This is my first posting but I have been exploring TC for some time now and have learned a lot from the community. I have been obsessed with Tiki's my whole life and felt alone until i found this site and my favorite book-"the Book Of Tiki". I never new this world existed...thank god for the internet!!!!!!!!!!!!

I live around the Tampa Bay Florida surrounded by Sabal Palms, Oaks and crappy worthless pine trees. i would like to carve the sabals but really don't want to wait 6 months to a year for drying. I've got carving fever now and I'm setting up to start carving (buying tools and research out the wazoo) and I have already searched the postings for most of my questions.

Heres my question: are there any raw lumber/log suppliers in the world that you can order from (ceder, maple, red wood etc).?????? i noticed a lot of you carve what is available in your areas. I was inspired by GMAN's work and i like the details he was able to achieve and how well it took to stains. I have no mills around since most of Florida lumber is imported from the north. i had no luck at Google either....all i found was log cabin suppliers. there must be some company out there somewhere that sells logs of every type.........

thank you in advance to all of you out there...........

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 7:50 AM

Howdie hey. There is a sawmill in Pinellas. You can get any size cypress you want, by the foot/diam. Look'em up, or I can get back to you with the name/number.

I could always throw you a log too.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Aug 7, 2008 8:07 AM

Axley Brothers Saw Mill Inc
12300 62nd St
Largo, FL 33773

(727) 531-8724ý

8" diameter cypress log 8' long = $30.00

Other diameters available. Give 'em a shout and then show us your chops!

Lemme know if you need anything.....

-G$

If your just starting - Find a free sabal palm log and start cutting! Don't worry about the wood checking or molding - its your first one, why wait or spend money. Find a piece of wood and start carving - planning is an excuse not to start. If you find yourself carving fine detail, then spend the money.

wow....didn't expect such a fast response and especially from the GMAN himself. Thanks soooo much gman on the contact info and the log offer. I'll be calling those guys during lunch.....

and your right alohastation...sometimes planning is an excuse... i plan on diving in this thing right and might even need a snorkel or decompression chamber. all my art is very detailed.....mainly because my choice of occupation (advertising/design) thats why i want to try cedar or cypress ...until then i got 2 sabal's getting cut down this weekend. i will definitely send out pix when i get it done. can't frigin wait to start.......oh yeah...have you guys heard of anybody using austrailian pine? my uncle cut down a bunch of them but not sure if they are good for anything. I hear they are illegal to plant in Florida too....

on a side note unrelated to the topic....GMAN i saw you like the evil dead. I also dig zombie flicks and just added another title to a very large collection....

ZOMBIE STRIPPERS!!!!!! check it out fellas......its a must have.

Welcome Creative Chimp. I'm in Sarasota and always carving new tikis. Just e-mail me if there is anything you need any help getting started. You'll probably get tired of Sabal palm pretty quick. I much prefer fan palm when I can get it. Those cypress logs sound nice. I think I'll be taking a road trip soon for some of those. Good luck on your first tiki! And don't forget to post pics.
:drink:

Pages: 1 5 replies