Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Need Help on Tiki Gods!!!

Pages: 1 16 replies

I want to get a tattoo, but I want to know all of the Tiki gods, what they look like, and what they represent, but I cannot find a web site that has any other gods other than Ku, kane, Kanaloa, and Lono. I believe there are some other tiki gods out there suck as the god of surf, the god of music. Can anyone PLEASE guide me to a website that may have some information on all of the Tiki gods, their name, and hopefully their history? I REALLY appreciate any help! Thank you!

H

Most of the definitions of certain Tikis being the god of something are just made up touristy things.

For instance, there is NO actual Tiki god of "money".

Here's one thread touching on what you are seeking:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=1848&forum=1

Whatever you do, DO NOT get a tattoo of some brightly colored, cartoonish, big toothed Tiki. LAME!

But the fact that you're actually doing some research tells me you know better than that.

On 2008-08-07 09:44, KanaloaDude wrote:
I want to get a tattoo, but I want to know all of the Tiki gods, what they look like, and what they represent, but I cannot find a web site that has any other gods other than Ku, kane, Kanaloa, and Lono. I believe there are some other tiki gods out there suck as the god of surf, the god of music. Can anyone PLEASE guide me to a website that may have some information on all of the Tiki gods, their name, and hopefully their history? I REALLY appreciate any help! Thank you!

Aloha KanaloaDude, and welcome to Tiki Central!

You have listed the main Gods I have read about in the Polynesian culture. There are other Hawaiian based gods and goddesses such as Pele and her sisters, but the Polynesians never had a God for particular duties such as surf, money, good luck, etc. Their Gods covered a wide variety of sectors, and weren't as divided up like the Roman and Greek Gods were.

The manufactures of Tiki trinkets would like you to believe there were many more Gods and they had specific duties. Don't believe them.

Good Luck in your investigation.

Give some consideration to Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of fire/volcanos (hair of fire, etc.). Still lives in Kilauea. Many in Hawaii - nominally Christians - still believe in her, long after forsaking the other old gods. They leave her offerings of gin - no kidding.
Instead of a picture of a tiki - a carved piece of wood - you could work up an interpretation or impression of Pele that is both sexy and menacing, and different from typical "tiki" tats. Maybe against background of erupting volcano.
Pele Rising, by Jim Warren:

Or not.

[ Edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-08-07 10:32 ]

On 2008-08-07 10:00, tikiwinebear wrote:

Aloha KanaloaDude, and welcome to Tiki Central!

You have listed the main Gods I have read about in the Polynesian culture. There are other Hawaiian based gods and goddesses such as Pele and her sisters, but the Polynesians never had a God for particular duties such as surf, money, good luck, etc.

Not entirely right. The Gods you have listed are Hawaiian and there are few carved examples that can be linked to the names.
Secondly if you are a surfer and you want to pray that you surf good, you would pray to Lono. Certain times of the year he is the only one you are allowed to pray to. During the Makahiki, Lono is the only God observed.

And lastly what is true for Hawaii may not be true for all of Polynesia. Tangaroa is the fishing God. Among other job titles but that's what he's known as.

My best advice(free advice, not always worth what you pay) Research the culture you are interested in as Polynesia covers millions of miles. Some of the people's gods and customs on neighboring islands are different. Not to mention others seperated by miles of ocean.

V

Why not pick up a copy of The Book of Tiki? There are hundreds of styles and ideas you could get from that.

T

The one and only Tiki God...bigbrotiki!

Here is a link on a brief history of the Tiki Gods:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10296&forum=1

Not good to do tattoo of Pele she likes her privacy. And yes, we do respect Pele here in the islands and make our offerings, songs and dances to her.

wow guys. this is some great info. you guys are helping a lot. and dont worry. im not trying to get some lame cartoony tat for looks. it's symbolic to me. tats for looks are just lame

On 2008-08-07 11:33, VonTiki wrote:
Why not pick up a copy of The Book of Tiki? There are hundreds of styles and ideas you could get from that.

i never thought of that. i think thats the best advice for me. thanks Von!

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Aug 8, 2008 7:45 AM

There were also demi gods, i.e. Maui who was married to Pele...

On 2008-08-08 07:45, KuKu wrote:
There were also demi gods, i.e. Maui who was married to Pele...

Are you sure?
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29397&forum=1&start=last&0

Get what you like - there are many conflicting stories of assorted tiki gods - like the tourist type (for money or luck) and what are considered the "real" ones. Your tc name has a good one Kanaloa - I have heard many different "things" about what he was about, all seem to point to water theme though. I also have seen different images related to him. There is a thread on tiki central with all types of Tiki tattoos from colorful to line drawings to Polynesian style its a fun place to start Use the search in the upper right try tattoo. - injoy!

Kanaloa Dude I sent some tiki tattoo information to you and someone to contact for your tattoo. Did you get it?

On 2008-08-08 23:07, HinaHinawahine wrote:
Kanaloa Dude I sent some tiki tattoo information to you and someone to contact for your tattoo. Did you get it?

Here is a thread on tiki tatoos:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=27016&forum=1&hilite=tatoo

christiki your thread on tiki tattoos is nice, but for a real tiki tattoo I would think that a black ink would be more authentic. Maybe it is just my culture but the ones with colors are not attractive.

Pages: 1 16 replies