Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

DVA GALLERY CLOSING in chicago....merging with rotofugi

Pages: 1 4 replies

thought i'd post this email that was sent out from DVA Gallery......thought some of the artists here may want to be updated....

Dear friends, family, artists and patrons of DvA Gallery. As of September 28th, DvA Gallery will be closing it's Lincoln Park location and merging with Rotofugi Toy Store & Gallery. I will be taking on the role of Gallery Curator and together we'll continue to bring you the best art / artists around!

As some of you already know, just over a year ago, Vicki and I had a beautiful baby boy named Jack. To our surprise, we found out shortly after birth that he was diagnosed with Down Syndrome. Though he is doing very well and thriving with his many therapists, I have decided to devote my time to caring for Jack as a stay-at-home dad to help keep his development on track. Because of this, it is difficult to devote the amount of time necessary to maintain DvA Gallery, and so, we are very much looking forward to this opportunity to continue exhibiting great artwork through Rotofugi Toy Store & Gallery. We already have some great artists lined up for next year such as Frank Kozik, Tara McPherson, Amanda Vissell and as promised, Josh (SHAG) Agle.

Again, DvA Gallery's official last day will be Sunday, September 28th so please make sure to come see the show August 9th and meet the artists!

The last day to bring in your frame orders will be Sunday, August 31st. I will also be having a HUGE gallery sale and final party on Saturday, September 6th from 6-9. Not only will I have artwork on sale but all my merchandise will be on sale too. BUT WAIT. THERE'S MORE...I will also be selling a lot of my gallery supplies such as furniture, shelving, stereo, printers, computer, you name it! So PLEASE come and say goodbye and I'll see you the following month at Rotofugi.

Again, thank you all for a wonderful 5 years of love and support. If you need to reach me, my contact information is below. If you would like to continue to see how Jack is doing, feel free to visit his blog (yes he has his own blog) at http://www.ranchojack.com . Those of you who are currently signed up on the DvA Gallery mailing list, will continue to receive emails through Rotofugi. If you no longer wish to be on the mailing list, you can just click "unsubscribe" at the bottom of the email. Cheers,

David van Alphen
Gallery Curator
Rotofugi Gallery
1955 W. Chicago Ave.
Chicago, IL 60622
866.953.9229 ex.5

boo-urns, it doesnt sound like it but hopefully rotofugi will continue the annual tiki show.

Hopefully all goes well. I've bought designer toys from Rotofugi for quite some time and they are beyond cool.

..as it stands, the rotofugi gallery space is the size of a closet....i have no idea how they expect to cram a shag showing in there packed full of sweaty shag fans in addition to the artwork....fortunately, they do have room to expand the gallery backwards by knocking out the wall. There was also rumor of moving to a larger space after the first of the year....in which case a tiki show would probably still happen...i know the owners of rotofugi liked the tiki show and i believe they were present at every one that DVA had.....chances are good that the tradition will continue....

The DvA Family
LAST OFFICIAL SHOW!!
End Of An Era

DvA Gallery's Last Official Show is TOMORROW NIGHT! Stop by grab a beer, say hi to the artists and send us out with a smile!

End Of An Era

Thank you all for the kind words and support that have been flowing through over the last week. You all have been wonderful. Here are some answers to the more popular questions I have been getting:

Are you continuing Slingshot! Press?
Yes I am. Things have been a little hectic lately but the prints will continue so keep Buying! http://www.slingshotpress.net

Are you continuing to show your personal artwork?
Definitely yes! I have over 10 more shows in the next year. Mainly group shows but I do have a couple solo shows. To see the new work and where I'll be showing you can visit my website http://www.netherlandart.com

When are you selling everything off?
My last show and sale is going to be SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 13TH instead of September 6th! Slight correction from the last email.

" measuring destroys art!!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-08 15:41 ]

Pages: 1 4 replies