Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tiki In Olympic Opening Ceremonies

Pages: 1 7 replies

Never happen in the PRC--too religious.

Incidentally, your independent thinking has been reported.

Well a tiki reference did make it into the opening ceremony. But I couldn't believe my ears. During Chile's entrance one of the announcers was talking about the famous Moai.....but then....He said the famous Moai of Tahiti! Funny how uneducated reporters are. Anyone else catch this?

B

Tiki drink mixing as an Olympic event. Who would take home the gold?

B

Dang! I KNEW I missed a lot of the ceremonies - but the big blue Tiki in the sky?! Arg!

I did catch the Moai comments though - got a little chill from that one - should have been a little Chile!

S

On 2008-08-09 09:36, Hinano_Paul wrote:
Well a tiki reference did make it into the opening ceremony. But I couldn't believe my ears. During Chile's entrance one of the announcers was talking about the famous Moai.....but then....He said the famous Moai of Tahiti! Funny how uneducated reporters are. Anyone else catch this?

Yep...sure did. Wife looking at me strange 'cause I stopped in mid sentence to point it out. Idiots.

Here's real tiki in the Olympics, the suits of Spain's Synchronized Swimming team. Spain has a Tiki community don't they?

Well, not really. It was an African themed routine

On 2008-08-09 09:47, Bohemiann wrote:
Tiki drink mixing as an Olympic event. Who would take home the gold?

It would be too close to call..... I suspect Jeff Berry would take it by One-Thousandth's of an ounce in the final analysis.

Sorry, Martin, but the Silver Medal will look good on you.

Pages: 1 7 replies