Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Traveling to Key Largo, what to see/do?

Pages: 1 7 replies

Heading to Key Largo later this week. Wondering if there is anything I should see. Of course there is the Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale. Anything else to see/visit? How about a place to buy stuff to take back home?
Thanks
Tim

"In the dark, mysterious, pagan womb of the tiki bar, Organizational Man could escape the spectre of the A-bomb and the 30-year mortgage." (Grog Log - J Berry, A Kaye - 1998)
TT

[ Edited by: tiki_tim 2008-08-12 12:42 ]

R

Tiki Road Trip has the keys summed up pretty well - we were all up and down them last summer, but nothing down there compares even to the Mai Kai's driveway.

For attractions I find the Coral Castle to be a pretty fascinating roadside place to visit:
http://www.coralcastle.com/

It will fascinate you.

Friends also recommend Monkey Jungle:
http://www.monkeyjungle.com/

Enjoy!
~Rupe

there is a tiki carver at about mile maker eighty somthing ,just below key largo on the atlantic side of the road. you will see his stuff lined up along the road. tiki joe was his name last time i was there.but i think it changes from time to time.

RB

The sunset celebration is supposed to be a blast (I missed it when I was there several years ago)
http://www.sunsetcelebration.org/

thanks!

Not so much Tiki things to do, but still worth the stop......

Assuming you are arriving in Miami and driving down.....

Coral Castle is a fun stop. Not a very big thing to see, but great story.

Monkey Jungle, skip it unless you are going that way. It is worth a visit, but there are better places to spend your time.

Parrot Jungle, same. Fun! Worth a trip, but there are still better ways to spend your time.

As you head South towards the Keys.... following the signs for Card Sound Road. Just before you get to the bridge is Alabama Jacks. Cheesy little dive bar that doesn't have any walls, a mildly talented band, and the BEST Conch Fritters you can get anywhere in the state. Cold Beer, Conch Fritters, the waterway, its perfect.

Then, as you go through Isle Morada (sp?) stop at Holiday Isles, Home of the Rum Runner. It is a Tiki bar because it actually has Tikis in it, but all of the drinks come out of slurpy-machines. I can still recommend the Key Lime Daiquiri because if you order the extra shot of rum it will make you want a second, then a third, and your on your own from there.

From there, just look around. You will see a lot of Vintage Florida and if you look hard enough you can see houses and stores that were heavily influenced by the original Tiki Movement. If you had more than three of the Daiquiri's, it is a bit easier to see because you should already be slightly out of focus.

The BEST!

And this is from Holiday Isles. This side faces south so you won't see it unless you are boating in.

[ Edited by: Chip and Andy 2008-08-14 19:15 ]

if you are looking for GOOD food and fun place to eat,
SUGAR LOAF KEY MM 20 ,MANGROVE MAMA'S on the right hand side of the road heading south.

"Pets are welcome,Children 'MUST' be on leash" TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-08-15 05:26 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2008-08-15 05:27 ]

Pages: 1 7 replies