Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Some depressing rum rumors

Pages: 1 26 replies

While visiting my local liquor superstore this past weekend, I stumbled upon some depressing information. This particular liquor chain has a website which allows you to search the stock of its flagship store in Houston, and a pre-shopping search had revealed that the Houston store stocks El Dorado 151 as well as several variants of Old New Orleans Louisiana rum. Acting on the logic that the giant warehouse-sized outpost here in Austin would have roughly the same stock as the home store in Houston, I ventured out to pick up some goods. However, after a thorough perusal of the rum stock, I came up empty. There was no El Dorado 151 and no Old New Orleans. What the hell?

So I sought out my friendly liquor purveyor and queried him on this shocking state of affairs. The news I received is of the cliched "good news/bad news" variety. First, the bad news. Lemon Hart does not export its 151 to the US, and El Dorado has apparently ceased either producing or exporting its 151-proof rum. F. How in the hell am I supposed to make a (pseudo-)genuine Zombie without 151-proof Demerara? And, this is not some temporary problem, but one that apparently will persist indefinitely. Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?

Anyway, can anyone either confirm or disconfirm this depressing rumor?

The good news I received is this: Old New Orleans rum is now distributed outside of Louisiana. They have it in Houston. Unfortunately, owing to the brilliance of the Texas liquor regulations, its distribution in Central Texas has not been approved. Those smarmy Gulf Coast elites are probably sipping a glass of ONO right now, taking great pleasure in their role as the rum haves and the knowledge that Central Texans are rum have-nots. Lousy Houston. But, never fear! I'm told that Old New Orleans is on its way, charging headlong towards Austin like the cavalry of old western films. Yee-friggin'-haw.

I can tell you this much.... Lemon Hart 80 is plentiful in Massachusetts but we cannot find any 151 lately.

-Rev

I would give these folks a call. I've ordered from them and they were very helpful over the phone:
http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=3&dept=01&class=06&subclass=08&sortby=&numperpage=30

FYI, I've had no problem getting Lemon Hart 151 in South Florida, but the store I frequent has been stocked up for some time.

Please let us know if you find any truth to these rumors so I can run down there and clear the shelf.

RB

See this thread for Lemon Hart availability: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=28102&forum=10&start=30&33. Sounds like it's a regional thing...as I wrote in my recent post, LH 80 easily found in Oregon, LH 151 easily found in Washington.

I saw Lemon Hart 151 in a store a few months ago. Does that mean it was perhaps in one of the final shipments? I returned and couldn't find any... :(

Lemon Heart 151 is imported into the US, for sure. In fact, it has become a big seller and has grown in sales for the past 3 years.

D

the 151 lemon hart is readily available in Washington state.

K
KuKu posted on Thu, Aug 14, 2008 10:28 PM

On 2008-08-14 19:11, bewarethe151 wrote:
Lemon Heart 151 is imported into the US, for sure. In fact, it has become a big seller and has grown in sales for the past 3 years.

I just bought a bottle here in Santa Cruz last weekend...

RB

Now Oregon has LH 151 available...at least at the Hawthorne liquor store in SE Portland. Saw a whole bunch of bottles there yesterday at $24 each (w/ no sales tax). Didn't see any "regular" LH though.

MA... I was in a liquor store in Central Sq in Cambridge that had LH 151 a couple of days ago. The Wine and Cheese Cask in Somerville stocks both varieties and had 'em both in stock last I checked, a few weeks ago. Also try the Wine Cellars of Silene in Waltham near Winter/Wyman.

Which store in Cambridge had it recently? Unfortunately Wine Cellars in Waltham now out of stock on the Lemon Hart 151 (still the lower proof at Gordon's in Waltham and Martignetti's on Soldiers Field Road).

Thanks

M

Lemon Hart 151 is most definitely still imported to the US. We pour close to 4 cases a month. They sponsored my event at Tiki Oasis.

On 2008-08-17 22:07, martiki wrote:
Lemon Hart 151 is most definitely still imported to the US. We pour close to 4 cases a month. They sponsored my event at Tiki Oasis.

Whew! This thread had me worried. Thanks for the info, Martin.

[ Edited by: BrickHorn 2008-08-18 08:17 ]

I just scanned a bunch of threads here on TC and on some other boards, and it seems that no one has compiled a clear and definitive list of what states DO carry Lemon Hart.

Seems like CA and parts of New England are the only people who get it reliably.

Anyone know if it is easily available in Indiana or Michigan?
I'm driving to Ohio next week (not available there or in Illinois), and will pull over to grab some...

tikibars - we have Lemon Hart 80-proof Demerara here in Texas. I have not been able to locate any of the 151-proof.

martiki - I'm glad to hear 151 is still imported into the U.S. I guess the next step is to see if there's a liquor store around that can put a case or two on order for me. By the way, have you tried any of the Old New Orleans rums? I'd like to get an educated opinion on how well they work in the old recipes that call for Louisiana rum.

T

Shoot, I didn't know I drank that much!

T

On 2008-08-18 12:14, thejab wrote:

Shoot, I didn't know I drank that much!

Martin, make sure you have a fifth case on hand in October for my FI visit!

Rum Balls - where do you find LH 80 in Oregon? I've looked all over. Even the state board site doesn't list it. LH 151, I can get easily.

After searching several stores here in Minnesota, I found ONE store that carries LH in both proofs. I got the last bottle they had of the 151. I'll have to take a look soon and see if they restocked.

EDIT: Psycho Suzi's was using LH in their drinks as recently as 2 months ago.

I also found St. Clement VSOP Martinique at a different store.

[ Edited by: TimboTiki 2008-08-21 20:25 ]

TT

I believe the "Zippo" company makes a good substitute for 151...

RB

Ekomomoai,

You're right...I can't find "regular" Lemon Hart at any of the Portland liquor stores I frequent. And I definitely HAVE seen it here before.

On the flip side, Oregon seems to be awash in Lemon Hart 151...multiple bottles at every OLCC store I visited. Go figure.

RR

You could always go to one of the smaller liquor stores that have carried what you want in the past and ask them to order it for you.

You need to cultivate a relationship with your local liquor store owner. I have in the past and was able to order right out of their distributor's catalog.

As of Saturday Nov 15th, Wine Cellars of Saline in Waltham MA had about 15+ bottles of Lemon Hart 151 left - two rows deeply stocked... and this was after my hoard-mentality purchase. They didn't have the normal proof, but I can find that alot easier where I live.

H
Hearn posted on Sun, Nov 23, 2008 9:00 AM

FYI....here in Northern Virginia, where the state controls all liquor stores...if you got to your local ABC Store and ask them to order Lemon Hart, they will purchase both 80 and 151 proofs. It took three days for their next shipment to arrive, but it was easy and you save on shipping charges.

I got another bottle of LH 151 for Christmas - this one apparently purchased in Framingham MA. Also, a couple of my local stores in CT regularly stock a small, but consistent supply of the normal proof LH. Nice to see all three varieties of St James still on the shelves, too, albeit in limited quantities.

T

I went to Cask, the liquor store in San Francisco run by the Bourbon and Branch folks, and spotted Lemon Hart 151. Their rum selection had some good bottles, but was pretty weak compared to their great (albeit pricey) whiskey selection. And their selection of other spirits wasn't very extensive. Perhaps they were understocked after the holidays. Also, I would like to see a bigger selection of cocktail making equipment and accessories and more books like the classic cocktail book reprints.

T

I went to Cask, the liquor store in San Francisco run by the Bourbon and Branch folks, and spotted Lemon Hart 151. Their rum selection had some good bottles, but was pretty weak compared to their great (albeit pricey) whiskey selection. And their selection of other spirits wasn't very extensive. Perhaps they were understocked after the holidays. Also, I would like to see a bigger selection of cocktail making equipment and accessories and more books like the classic cocktail book reprints.

Pages: 1 26 replies