Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Marketplace

Tiki Oasis Artwork from the BeachComber

Pages: 1 5 replies

T

Just finishing up the last of the details on stuff for Tiki Oasis, and thought I'd post some photos of my work!

I decided to make mostly handmade mugs this year, as the production work associated with slip casting from my molds was very difficult. When I create a little monkey, skull, or blowfish knowing its drinkable, I can only imagine the journeys my little mugs go on at night amongst your mug collections.

I will have about 5 of each Lekookoos, a few Papua's, one or two ShrUnkys and a Fatutu. After this Oasis, I'm moving the limited edition slip cast mugs to a friends workshop who will make them for us. Also, two of my Lekookoo molds broke, so there will only be about 40 of the projected 50 for each color.

Lekookoo Antique Brown

Lekookoo Moss Green

I made 4 Volcano Island (Scorpian) Bowls this year. I really had a fun time making them, knowing there's a bit of ceremony around drinking from them. I made the volcano's deep, so it could be filled with inexpensive rubbing alcohol which will burn for about an hour. Straws will attach with twine to the skulls or toucans on the edge.

Handmade skull with Monkey Head behind

And here's some bisque monkey heads covered in glaze just before heading to the kiln this afternoon, which will be hot and ready Friday morning as I pack the veg-mobile for its journey south to San Diego.

Here's King Kukulele's new CD VendOmatic before it was finished. Eventually it will have a dancing King Kukulele marionette carved from driftwood.

V

Amazing. I wish I could be there...

T

tOny, your work translates extremely well into your handmade ceramics. Your hand built stuff is radical in many ways. Has the same feel of your paintings. Maybe you can make them quick (for handmade) and they show all the movements that you pour into them. You can see the love in them and the owners will get that. Plus original ceramic art. All those pictures look like Gold.

LT

I swear, with all of the good stuff heading South, San Diego will be a wasteland of smoldering ATM machines after this weekend! :D

Tony,

All wonderful creations! I love that your work is individually handmade, a bit of extra work and sweat, but so rewarding when it is finished.

It all has a great beachcomber feel to it, you're a very talented artist.

Best of luck at Oasis! Sell it all!

Tony, the handmade stuff is really looking sweet. You get a certain amount of extra freedom when you do handbuilt stuff- not having to worry about undercuts and how many damn sections you'll need for the mold is one. See you at Oasis!

Pages: 1 5 replies