Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Tikis at the Mai Kai.

Pages: 1 8 replies

Pre Hukilau, Kern interrups Stumpgrinder mid cocktail one night at the Mai Kai and asks if we would like to paint some more tiki's to put behind the rain wall in the Molokai Lounge. 'Do bears shit on Popes?" is the gist of her response. So off we go to gather as many of WPlugger's concrete tiki's as the husbands, trunks and back seats will allow.

The following are pics of the newest wave of painting tiki's over cocktails and the ruining of manicures. Loki & Stumpgrinder have many more pics to share. E33 & LuRu also have/will have pics.

I believe I can speak for all of the South Florida FOM'ers that we are proud to be part of the Mai Kai in a small way.

some supplies

next one pre painted by Will who is casting the molds.

rubbing in red highlights

adding black aging

Will calls this a fruit holder. The base color was terra cotta red.

Chip adding pin stripes

A war club, my favorite piece. All Chip work.

Some finished product.

H

I'm glad to see that you guys are using natural, muted, traditional style colors as opposed to some of the 'new school' tiki colors--wouldn't expect that from Mai Kai/Ft. Laud locals though--keep it real-and old school!!!! Nice job!

PI

I'm in love!

Nice work. The mask on the right is very, very nice. I guess you could call this a Mai-Kai face lift. Glad to see some upkeep going into the place.
KG

FYI.

Bohemiann Will Work for Jet Pilots!

Painting temporary tattoos on the cocktail waitresses perhaps.

P

I look forward to the opportunity to see them in their environment.
All the previous additions, or re-additions, really made the place look better last visit.

You guys should get a Mai Kai badge.
Or a few pitchers of Mai Kai "badges" if you know what I mean.

i heart chipandandyandstumpgrinderandlokiande33andluru

On 2008-08-14 22:58, Howland wrote:
I'm glad to see that you guys are using natural, muted, traditional style colors as opposed to some of the 'new school' tiki colors

The pictures make the colors look odd, as well as seeing them in daylight.

These guys are much brighter overall because they are going behind the water-windows in the Molokai Bar. You will be seeing them from inside a dark bar, looking through a window that is being rained upon, into an area that is lit primarily with up-lights. The result is a Tiki that looks weird in the daylight, but when seen in its 'natural environment' looks perfect.

We have lots more pictures, and WPlugger is making more just as fast as the concrete can dry.

Great work all around.. Looks like fun, too! Can't wait to see them and all the work you've done around the Mai-Kai.

Pages: 1 8 replies