Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

begining of a new craft

Pages: 1 10 replies

first i hope this didnt come through twice, i cant seem to figure out the posting thing. i dont see them after i post. this is a copy paste from last night...

I've recently joined this forum after passing through it several times when googling bone carvings, ive been anxious to get into it but until a few days ago i had no tools. i did not realize how soft bone was to carve into and i find it really easy for me to cut and detail.. although i have not yet accomplished my first piece, i was expermenting with the dremel today learning what does what and which gives me the results i would need for any project i begin. i was bone doodling if you will LOL. now i am ready & anxious to get started in attempt to create something halfass cool. :)

i am LOVING alot of the things i have seen in this forum, the carvings the art. they are all fabulous you are all very talented and giving me alot of motivation and insperation. i look forward to showing off my first carving once i start.. or continue with it rather.
my mothers dogs have lost alot of their bones in the yard today LOL

Welcome to TC TikiVooBella!! Great to have new members and can't wait to see some new original work. If your just starting out I am sure you will find many members willing to give you any help. Happy Carving!

S
sar1 posted on Fri, Aug 15, 2008 10:03 PM

Hi TikiVooBella, I got interested in bone carving a year ago and have spent a lot of time reading and learning about tools and techniques. My first carving wasn't all that because some of the lines didn't flow correctly but my son's girlfriend thought it was really great and is wearing it now.

When I started I thought that everything was done with a power carver (Dremel, Micro-motor) but I found that the best way to get nice clean detail was to use tools such as dental scrapers and picks along with needle and riffle files. I found coming up with my own designs that are easy for a beginner like myself isn't easy as I always want to do the intermediate to master carver designs because they look the coolest. Here is a link to Len and Candy Kay's site that has some interesting info http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~candykay/how_to.htm .

I'm looking forward to seeing your works.

Scott

Welcome to TC, and bravo for being brave enough to try carving!!

The folks here are very supportive, and happy to share their knowledge.

Look forward to seeing your 'stuff'.

KS

On 2008-08-15 22:03, sar1 wrote:
Hi TikiVooBella, I got interested in bone carving a year ago and have spent a lot of time reading and learning about tools and techniques. My first carving wasn't all that because some of the lines didn't flow correctly but my son's girlfriend thought it was really great and is wearing it now.

When I started I thought that everything was done with a power carver (Dremel, Micro-motor) but I found that the best way to get nice clean detail was to use tools such as dental scrapers and picks along with needle and riffle files. I found coming up with my own designs that are easy for a beginner like myself isn't easy as I always want to do the intermediate to master carver designs because they look the coolest. Here is a link to Len and Candy Kay's site that has some interesting info http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~candykay/how_to.htm .

I'm looking forward to seeing your works.

Scott

thanks for the site link/info, i saved it.
dental scrapers? really.. i know we have afew of those my boyfriend has a couple in his plumbing bag of all places ! i'll have to borrow one :)

well i finally got started on my first carving.
Cant tell you how enjoyable it is to do. this is from a deer antler, i used my large elec. grinder to cut off the trunk part of the antler a good size piece, then cleaned it up a bit, drew a sketch, put it on the antler and went from there.. yeah that mask im wearing.. HUGE! lol but keeps the dust and smell out of my lungs, those smaller masks dont work well with my glasses since everytime i exhale my glasses fog up!. booo

please let me know what you think!!!!
this is my first!

and final piece while my battery charges to my dremel.

can anyone tell me what is best to use to cut out the large parts of a carving?
i still have NO idea what is what really yet with bits and pieces, i am going on trial and error, seeing what works and what doesnt work and what does what :)

Awesome TVB - great start.

I cannot really answer your question unfortunately - I know with stone I use the largest cylinder burr that I have. Benz will know. Benz????

Keep it up - it is a matter of feeling your way through it - and if you persevere, you get there in the end.

KS

B

Hey T-VooBella, Welcome ton TC, Hope you find answers to all your questions!. Your firs piese looks great and I Love that Mask, Partly because Mine is the Same and also because I know it works. I'm All too familiar with glasses fogging up, Terrible to work with.
For removing the larger areas, use Larger burs and tools. You can use All the woodworking tools on bone and antler.
Use the sanding drums too as they work great. You are doing the right thing by trying Everything to see how it feels and works. I Promise what works for you doesn't work for the next person all the way down the line. It's a matter of preference and availability. You would be Surprised at how few tools can accomplish the most intricate pieces.
Keep at it, you'
re doing Great!

those smaller masks dont work well with my glasses since everytime i exhale my glasses fog up!.

TVB, if you put the nose piece of your glasses over the nose piece of the mask , it will cut down the amount of fogging .

your work is looking good ,
cheers .

In the heart of my soul . I would that I had been born in Celtic lands
But I was born here . a Celt in Maori lands . And my heart is content

[ Edited by: Toataiaha 2008-08-17 15:31 ]

it is completed!

about as tall as a soda can

wish the photo was bigger, my first of many tiki tattoos to come, i plan on adding dwarf dancing tikis with spears to go from one end of culdron to the other around the back of the arm, some palm trees, and some funky neat colorful night sky. across my back has tropical flowers from hip to hip i want a couple tikis on each end up top of them etc

Pages: 1 10 replies