Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

What do you think of this Shag serigraph ?

Pages: 1 26 replies

S

Your opinions/thoughts/etc. welcome ...Thinking of splurging on this ...

TWO HEAVY DRINKERS

D

thats the one i have~ my only Shag print, and i adore it. splurge and let Linc at Frame Fetish matte and frame it for you..its that special.

That's a nice one, I'd have it framed up real nice if it was mine also..
aloha

S

It's $ 300 framed the way you see it . One unframed went for around $ 380 on Ebay a few weeks ago .

Buy it if you really like it, don't if you're having second thoughts. If it's just a money thing, then I say spend the cash if it is something you adore.

Dogbytes' looks amazing. I agree with her. Have Frame Fetish do it up right for you.

S

On 2008-08-15 20:49, dogbytes wrote:
thats the one i have~ my only Shag print, and i adore it. splurge and let Linc at Frame Fetish matte and frame it for you..its that special.

Can you post a pic of yours framed ? Mahalo !

TS

Its got tikis, birds, a Moaitender and two shriners...What else could you ask for? Definately a nice print at a good price. Not too long ago, we picked up Shag's "The Raft Of Medusa" print, soon to be making its way over to Links place at F.F......Good pick Sushi, if you go for it!

On 2008-08-15 20:39, sushiman wrote:

TWO HEAVY DRINKERS

S

On 2008-08-15 21:54, Tom Slick wrote:
Its got tikis, birds, a Moaitender and two shriners...What else could you ask for? Definately a nice print at a good price. Not too long ago, we picked up Shag's "The Raft Of Medusa" print, soon to be making its way over to Links place at F.F......Good pick Sushi, if you go for it!

On 2008-08-15 20:39, sushiman wrote:

TWO HEAVY DRINKERS

You got RAFT OF THE MEDUSA ??? THAT'S the one I REALLY yearn for !! Coincidence !

S

On 2008-08-15 20:49, dogbytes wrote:

Here is a pic of the print from a Shag book . Why are the shriner's suits a different color ? I notice other minor differences as well . Is your print exactly like the one I am thinking about buying , or it like the one in the book ?

S

From a dealer's site . Yet again different colors .

T

The book shows the original painting, the print was done with different colors.

If you can purchase this for $300, go for it. You can always sell it for more later if you don't like it.

S

I'm beginning to think this dealer in Tokyo is selling fakes . I've looked at dozens of Shag prints , inc. a couple just like the one I am interested in , and the G of Shag is always written thusly :

Compare this G to the one in my initial pic .

I'm seeing some other minute differences between the Tokyo print and pics of other HEAVY DRINKERS but they could be attributed to a variety of things inc. camera , light , etc...But this signature has got me wondering . What do you all think ?

Dude..... that looks suspicious! Those are VERY different G's! My three shags have the descending line down from the the curve. NOT the rounded pot bellied bubble. Call one of the art dealers that deals directly with him. Keep us posted!

T

On 2008-08-16 17:59, sushiman wrote:
I'm beginning to think this dealer in Tokyo is selling fakes .

Oh, the dealers in Tokyo. Well, then yes, I think there's a strong possibility you've got a fake on your hands. Given this bit of information, I'd steer clear of it, unless you can verify it's authenticity.

The sig definitely looks suspicious. The arch over the A looks funky too. Try writing Shag directly and send him that pic of the sig, he'll no doubt be able to tell right away if he did it or not. If he didn't, I'm sure he'll be interested to know there are fakes of his work starting to circulate. This is always dangerous stuff not only because it's taking money out of the original artist's pocket but also because if it's done shoddily and on crappy paper then it can damage his reputation if people confuse the fakes for the real deal.

S

Thanks for your input guys .

I have sent a message to Peter Agle via the Shag website and inc. a link to this thread .

I contacted the dealer about the signature and they replied by " chiding " me for doubting its authenticity !

S

S

Here are pics of another serigraph they are selling . Same suspicious G .

The case of the suspicious G spot!

I hate knock-off's and knock-offers! unethical money grubbing troglodytes! Burn in hell you damn, dirty counterfeiters!

Whew..... I feel much better now.

Actually.... they are pretty sloppy. I mean, all the effort and that's the best you can do? My seven year old can forge a better signature than that! (we lock up the checks in the liqueur cabinet nowadays)

So.... do we have any TCers in their area?

I've got a friend that knows Chris Hanson. "But sir, I have these ebay transcripts that clearly state your intention to peddle illicit shag! What were you thinking?"

S

I just checked every Shag signature on this site which has photos of every print Shag did until 2005 and ALL have the descending line down from the curve .

http://www.copronason.com/shagweb/index.htm

One thing I haven't mentioned is that the dealer has Shag serigraphs WITH the " correct " G . The dealer said they bought these serigraphs " directly " from Shag .

Hoping to hear from Peter Agle or somebody connected with Shag soon .

[ Edited by: sushiman 2008-08-17 17:47 ]

[ Edited by: sushiman 2008-08-17 17:48 ]

R

Hi Sushiman,
Just got back from tiki Oasis 8, where Shag did a signing yesterday. I had him sign six different items, and the "g" on each item varies, actually there are no two that look exactly the same. I can post or send you a photo if you like, but it'll be a few days before I can get to it.

RanTiki

I also, have items signed from a few years back to as recent as Aug 7th at the glendale show. His G's do vary, and even on my serigraph ETR 40th Ann, its a soft looking g. I guess it would have to do alot with what number print he is signing on, as you can kind of see the fatigue in later signed batches. I have no reason to think the items are bootlegged based on the signature. I'm no expert in analyzing handwriting either, but his numbers are dead on, and seem to be legit. Just my observations based on the items I have had signed over the years. Heh, I'm not really an autograph hound either, but I do have a pretty wide collection of Shag signed memorabilia! :lol:
Go figure!
Edited to add a picture

Real quick since they were in front of me...I had these 3 items personally signed. Top One in 2005, other in 2008, and lastly, the closest was obviously 2003. :P Alot of variances, but I hope this helps!

[ Edited by: Tom Slick 2008-08-17 22:53 ]

Ran & Tom ,

Thanks for posting guys . I'm beginning to feel just a tad foolish now after viewing the photos . It's just that after seeing over 150 that were more or less identical , and comparing them to what I thought were " dubious " signatures , well , I had my doubts about their authentiticity .

Thanks all for your input , especially for taking the time to post and offer to post photos .

Mahalo !

S

Just 'cause your paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you.

I'm still suspicious.

S

On 2008-08-18 05:56, Bohemiann wrote:

I'm still suspicious.

Well , I'm not going to purchase the serigraph in question , and it has more to do with the HIGH AND MIGHTY HOLIER THAN THOU attitude of the dealer than the dubious signature .

[ Edited by: sushiman 2008-08-18 06:26 ]

S

On 2008-08-18 05:56, Bohemiann wrote:

I'm still suspicious.

I just had an email from Piet Agle , who read the thread here and viewed all the photos , and he said the sigs and the hand-written title on the Tokyo prints look to be authentic , especially the numbering .

So there you have it .

S

this first photo has the ...pot belly g....i had this print signed by shag at oasis on sat....
.the second is from my copy of moonlight hula that i purchased from the shag site
both a little different......maybe just his mood.....makes it tough to spot fakes....

On 2008-08-17 15:18, sushiman wrote:
Here are pics of another serigraph they are selling . Same suspicious G .

... Interesting thread. I think the frames they have used are more dubious! :wink:

Pages: 1 26 replies