Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Trader Vic's "TikiLike" mug query

Pages: 1 5 replies

I came across these incredibly ugly Tiki mugs at a fancy junk shop today. The faces look almost as if they were hand crafted by an 8 year old. The backs of the mugs had big raise letters that said "Trader Vic's TikiLike" on them (See top photo below, as posted by Alnshely) (Thanx Anshely). $12 each, I didn't buy as it was above my usual price range and they're incredibly ugly. Still I'd like to know...What era of TV's are they from? What the hell is/was "TikiLike" (That's how I read it, the glaze sort of obscurred the word/phrase)? Is $12 a good deal or are these some common $3 pieces of crap?

For the sake of full disclosure: I'm on friendly terms with the shop owner, a nice guy who specializes in midcentury stuff and usually prices it fairly. I plan to pass on any info on the mugs to him...Of course if they turn out to be some weirdo TV rarity I'll purchase one first then reveal my knowledge.

[ Edited by: woofmutt on 2003-03-12 06:56 ]

Mutt,

Do they look like these? A year or two ago these were selling for a pretty good price. The brown one has come down in recent months. The green one is a little more rare. With the way prices have spiked on E-bay, I think you could do well. Look at Sabu's Voodoo Tumbler and Midnight's Tiki Bob. I'd go for it.
Mahalo,
Al

Woofmutt,
These TV mugs were produced for the Waikiki restaurant if I'm not mistaken, and were never used in any of the other restaurants. Waikiki had their own unique mugs to the rest of the chain. The seahorse mug is another example of such a mug.

Tiki Bird found a Tiki Like while thrifting recently. It looks to have a different writing style on the back than the one shown above. Also has a visible seam on both sides. Does anyone know how many versions may have been made? Or maybe this is a homemade copy?

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:07 ]

A

I'm wondering if this is a play on Likelike, a name that usually gets a snicker or two from visitors when they're getting directions. Anybody know the story behind the name "Tikilike?"

Pages: 1 5 replies