Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

recipes with Cruzan orange rum

Pages: 1 8 replies

Has anyone ever tried using Cruzan orange rum in a cocktail?
Cruzan's website sez that you can use it in any recipe that calls for triple-sec. I just think it'll make it a bit too orange-y.

anyone ever used it in a cocktail or has good recipes?

:)

thanks

I've never tried it myself. You should know that it is now a discontinued Cruzan product.

Also, be prepared for the rum snobbery! Most people around these parts can't appreciate flavored rums.

I think that Cruzan makes some of the best flavored rums on the market. Their coconut is the best coconut flavored rum and the Vanilla is a great source of vanilla flavoring for a drink. Honorable mention for the Banana as well. I have never tried the Orange. I don't really see the point of an orange flavored rum as it is cheap and easy to get orange flavor from an actual orange. Same with the Pineapple. Personally, I don't feel that a flavored rum should be the primary rum in a cocktail. It should be used as a flavoring in a cocktail. Is that rum snobbery?

RB

I'll second that opinion on Cruzan's coconut rum. I did a side-by-side comparison as the Malibu bottle was running out. Cruzan definitely has a better coconut taste, and more alcohol content to boot.

On 2008-08-21 10:21, PiPhiRho wrote:
Is that rum snobbery?

Nope, I think that's spot-on. :wink:

Also, I'll say that Cruzan Banana Rum is wonderful. Drink up! :tiki:

Seems like you could take the Orange Rum, add a bit of Vanilla Rum, top with Soda and have a very refreshing drink along the lines of an Orange Dreamsicle.

It will probably be too sweet (for me at least), but you could try the Orange rum with a darker rum (Cruzan 2 if you want to stay in the brand) and then top some cream soda.

I'm not too keen on any of the flavored rums because I would rather take a good rum and add my own flavors, either through infusion, or just adding the flavor to the drink with fresh whatever.

But that is just me, and I really like playing with stuff like that behind the bar.

I suggest you start playing with the rum and see what you come up with and then share the results here.

Thanks all!
Well, I tried mixing one part Cruzan orange rum with one part lime juice and one part Cointreau and it turned out pretty good.
I understand why they discontinued it though. I shall now stick to regular rums.

Mahalo,
Dan

I have a connection that gets me most of the Bacardi flavored rums for free. Here's what Ive found (all measuring is guesstimated).

Orange rum + heavy cream + OJ concentrate + blender = orange creamsicle

Peach rum + any fruit flavored mixer = refreshing sweet drink

Bacardi Limon + Sierra Mist = light and refreshing cocktail

I also like some of these straight up on the rocks with a slice of appropriate fruit

NOT RUM - more a liquor

Pages: 1 8 replies