This could be good...

Pages: 1 9 replies

(..though not cheap):

Brought to you via 8-Ball I-Phone Burbank --- Berlin --- Tiki Central

T

Ha! That's awsome!

Adam grew up there belive it or not!

His Dad still lives there.

I think we may be obligated to attend. :)

T

On 2008-08-24 18:31, atomikitty wrote:
Ha! That's awsome!

Adam grew up there belive it or not!

His Dad still lives there.

I think we may be obligated to attend. :)

No way....So, is it alot of older folks living there ?

Stories please !!!!

Yes it's a lot of old people. . . so yes, there are stories. . . .lots and lots of stories. . . . .don't let one get you alone! :wink:

The place is super cool, and was probably quite the hip spot back in the day.
For a long time it was only open to retirees from the entertainment community. Actors, singers, musicians and what not.
They just opened it up to the public in recent years.

I would love to live there and lounge around one of the kidney shaped pools, but even the few times we have hung out by the pool, there are a lot of lookie lou's peering through curtains disapprovingly. They may not say anything, but their looks yell 'get off my lawn you whippersnappers!'
. . .Not to mention it was not the ideal place for a rebellious young teenage Adam to grow up. . . maybe that explains why he acts like a grumpy 80 year old now. . . :)

Still, it's worth checking out since it's such a hidden Sherman Oaks gem!

Are you sure this luau is open to the public?

T

LOL.....

Well, the postcard doesn't say anything about whether or not it is.

Me and Marty Lush drove through there a few months bcak, and he was telling me that I need to call them up and see if they want to do a Luau, and have us play....

I figured, apartment residents don't want us Tiki hoodlums taking over their place....

We had no idea that they did this.

How cool is it that they still have an annual Luau tho ?

I bet back in the day it was a swingin place, indeed.

TS

Man! If I wasn't working the weekend, I'd highly consider attending this event! It has so much mid century flavor and appeal! I'd go just to photo document the place! Stupid job! hah...Someone please take pictures if you have an opportunity to go!

C

It would be an opportunity to experience a luau as done by first generation tiki explosion survivors -- and outside of Lawrence Welk Village you don't get many chance to party at places named for 1930's/1940's big band leaders.

T

Upon further investigation of this event, I emailed the people over at Horace Heidts and got a reply.

They told me that the Luau IS open to the public, and asked if I could post the flyer here on TC....

"Speaking of the luau, would it be possible to post a copy of our luau flyer on Tiki Central? The event is this upcoming Saturday, and we would love to have you and the online community attend if possible. I have enclosed the file for you, and also, listed below is a link to our website that includes a commercial for our show."

The website has lots of info...

http://horaceheidtestates.com/08/index.php

I also asked for any pics, ads, etc of Horace Heidts she was kind enough to oblige....Pretty cool, huh ?

JB

I love the attractive porcelain deer!

Pages: 1 9 replies