TM

The Hula Girls will be performing with Drummer Dominic Tucci
(From The Swinging Tikis and others)
On September 5th....

Gig: Stand Up for Cancer Benefit
Venue: World Gallery at 1980 Placentia in Costa Mesa
Music: The Hula Girls, The Crowd, others
Our set time: 6:50-7:30

This will be a fine event, with subject matter dear to my heart (and I am sure for many others). Please come down and help support the cause!!

We are excited to be playing this gig (our second gig now) with Lucky Designs leading the band. Spike has written many new songs...and they are all tikiriffic! The guy has been working, in between traveling to Brazil and playing in the Hurley/Ramones tribute band, doing business in New York, etc..the man is a real globe trotter! We should call him Meadowlark Lemon-Spike!!

Anyway, if there are any changes in anything we will post about it!

[ Edited by: Lucas Vigor 2008-09-02 14:21 ]

Arrrrr-some!

So this is what they have posted on the World Gallery mySpace site.... I thought it was a cancer benefit too, but it looks like now it's a Save Trestles benefit. Being a surfer, that's a cause that I can get behind also. Either way, we're working to make something good happen for charity. Also, we're playing with punk legends, The Crowd. Can't wait. Hope you can make the scene.

World Gallery Fine Art presents: The Perfect Wave To benefit the Surfrider Foundation’s Save Trestles campain. Art auction and raffle!

FRIDAY, September 5, 2008 6-11pm
World Gallery Fine Art 1980 Placentia Ave. Costa Mesa, CA.
949-646-6612

Featuring the Artwork of: Drew Brophy, Thomas Bugard, Chad Carothers, Eileen Comia, Sean Fahlen, Kim Hamrock, Howard Krik , Davin Hinnebusch, Dennis McTighe, Keith Neblet, Robert Andrian, Josh Searfin, , and More

Music By: H.B.’s surf punk legends The Crowd with the Strangers, The Hula Girls, and special guests
Food and beverages

THE PERFECT WAVE is an artistic expression of the California surf culture. THE PERFECT WAVE event will provide an environment for these diverse artists to express their vision of what the perfect wave is to them. Each artist will unveil a their new work specifically created for the event. A raffle will be held for the works and proceeds will go to further the fight to Save Trestles and San Onofre State park from being bisected by the 241 toll road.

Here's more info:
The name of the event is "The Perfect Wave" and it is benefitting "Stand Up 2 Cancer" and the Surfrider Foundation @ The World Gallery - 1980 Placentia, Costa Mesa CA
Musical "Talent"
6:00-6:40 - Alejandro's Awesome Surf Band (young guys who are actually AWESOME at traditional surf)
6:50 - 7:30 - The Hula Girls (we KNOW these guys are good)
8:00 - 9:30 - The Crowd (legendary HB/CM punks)

There is no cover charge. All Ages. Food will be available. Art will be for sale. Parking across the street (please use caution when crossing).
30 Artists will each feature one piece. There will be some kind of online voting for the favorite piece which will be raffled off during the event. All others will be for sale.

On 2008-08-26 10:39, Luckydesigns wrote:
Being a surfer, that's a cause that I can get behind also.

That's an understatement. One time ,my wife and I were at the Wedge on one of the HUGE days...
They had the ambulance on the beach, ready to go. 200 people, most with video cameras, on the sand. Locusts, famine, plague, cats playing with dogs...it was armageddon! (Spike, are you the gate keeper?)

The waves were sickeningly large, and there was Spike, right in the middle of it. Happy as a clam in June. Happy as a puppy with two Peters. I was scared just looking! But Spike was out there bodysurfing. Insane!

B

many mahalos to everyone participating in this event. def 2 causes that touch a lot of us and our legacy as a community!!!

cant wait for this one!!

Placentia in Costa Mesa? The World Gallery must be near where the Cookoo's Nest use to be located?

thats up the street about a mile from where there.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

From what I understand, it is very near what used to be (or still is, "the Tiki Bar"..the punk club.

Lucas, that was right next door to the Coocoo's nest, and Zubie's which became a storage unit place, sadly.
The bar that was the tiki bar is still there.
but all the decor except for the bamboo painted metal poles to keep people from driving into the place is gone,

the art gallery is between 19th and Hamilton,
across the street from the El Ranchito Mexican restaurant.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Sweet!! It's cool you guys are doing a benefit like this. My bro and I lost our DAD to cancer. And I would hate to loose Trestles. I am going to do my best to be there and donate to the cause!!

ha ha ha
I thought you said you would hate to loose your testicles.
how Ironic huh?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-08-27 10:16, The Sperm Whale wrote:
Sweet!! It's cool you guys are doing a benefit like this. My bro and I lost our DAD to cancer. And I would hate to loose Trestles. I am going to do my best to be there and donate to the cause!!

Cheers to that Spermy!

I lost my dad to cancer too.

Fuck Cancer!

Yeah, fuck cancer alright.

As for the old Tiki Bar.... My band The Junkbucket (rip) played there maybe a year ago when it was still open as The Roc. Some bikers bought it and as you mentioned, most of the interior is de-tikified. But..... There are some super nice carved poles (OA, I think) in there that are covered with metal diamond plating now. That looks waaay better than carved wood..... So, tiki still lives in there. It's just waiting to be unearthed again.

That place is cursed for business though. The parking sucks and it's kind of in an out of the way industrial zone. I would love to go in with someone, buy that place up, and re-open but I'm afraid it's destined to fail. Great sound system and good stage..... Bummer, Costa Mesa hardly has any live music venues anymore.

On 2008-08-27 10:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

Cheers to that Spermy!

Fuck Cancer!

Unfortunately, it's a sad club that so many of us belong to. My Dad died of Cancer two weeks ago. In fact, a couple of days before we played at your store. That's one of the reasons I really enjoyed playing there, as it helped me take my mind of things for just a little while. I was feeling pretty blue, but the Hefewiezen you generously provided your guests helped to take the edge off, that's for sure. That, and the pleasant surroundings, company and general ambiance of your store!

As to the tiki bar, wow! I must have played a million gigs there with various bands over the years. I never actually heard even one "tiki" band play there. I must have missed the boat.

Fuck Cancer!

B
BigToe posted on Wed, Sep 3, 2008 2:54 PM

HULA GIRLS!?!! i like hula girls...their elegant little feet...long, tanned legs...curvy swaying hips...slim, muscular waists and voluminous, beautiful...um? eyes.

oh, it's the band? they're OK too.

i will TOE-tally be there...with NEW ART.

TM

Whenever you're watching a hula girl dance
You gotta be careful, you're tempting romance
Don't keep your eyes on her hips
Her naughty hula hips
Keep your eyes on the hands

Remember she's telling a story to you
Her opu is swaying, but don't watch the view
Don't concentrate on the swing
It doesn't mean a thing

And when she goes around the island
Swinging hips so tantalizing
Just keep your eyes where they belong
[alternate version]
And when her grass skirt goes a-swishing Because the hula has a feeling
Keep your head and don't go wishing That will send your senses reeling
That you would like to mow the lawn It makes a weak man strong

Your eyes are revealing
You're fooling no one
No use in concealing
You're having some fun

But if you're too young to date
Or over ninety-eight
They tell the story
Just keep your eyes on the hands

What the hell is going on here?
I'm not wearing a grass skirt.....
No way.

On 2008-08-27 10:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

Cheers to that Spermy!

Fuck Cancer!

I agree.
Lost my Dad to lung cancer.
F*** Cigarettes too

TM

A shameless plug for the band we opened up for, The Crowd.

Wow. This is what a good punk band should sound like. So honest and real, not like the modern day insta-punk bands that sound so polished, with perfect singing.
These guys played like a band that has been together for 25 years, which of course, they have.
And what I found to be fantastic was that even with thier well-earned reputation, they had no attitude, and no ego tripping. They were cool guys. Thier lead guitarist and rythem guitarist worked in tandem, to perfection. The bass player was red-hot, and I know good bass playing when I hear it. He made frequent use of the instrument's upper register, ala John Entwhistle, and it sound very rich and thick.
The cops came, though, so I got the heck out of there as soon as they came.
It was nice to see Bamboo Ben there, with his family!
We will try and post some pictures of the Hula Girls in action at the gig very soon.
The Crowd made several good comments to us, about our unique sound, and how "rich and creamy" the steel guitar sounded. I expected them to blow right past us, but they were highly supportive, and good guys.
This was our third gig, and the second with Dominic Tucci on drums. The first gig was at Bamboo Bens, the second was at the Hurley company party last week, and now opening for The Crowd. Next up is the Laguna Beach art festival. Hope to see some tiki centralites soon!

What a great event! The Crowd was amazing and we had a bunch of fun playing too. As far as I know, we'll be playing the closing too. Details to come....

A friend of mine posted a video of us doing our 'hit song', "Hula Girl" on our mySpace site. Check it out
http://www.myspace.com/thehulagirlsband

What a great cause this event was for.I regret not making it to this event due
to a hefty work shedule .My hats off to all those involved artists, musicians etc.
and the time they gave for this event.I went to high school down the street from
the gallery location.I lost two of my best friends in high school to cancer ,so
this really hits home.

TM

It turns out that "stand up for cancer" took in a lot of money during that weekend. I heard that even the cops who showed up ended up making a donation!

Pages: 1 25 replies