Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

Antique shopping tips while in Hawaii??

Pages: 1 9 replies

Hola

I'll be leaving for Oahu and the Big Island next week...any good recommendations for antique stores?

Thanks!

There is a cool antique store on the Big Island in Honokaa; on the main street.
The lady who runs it used to be a cocktail waitress in Reno.
I always find some good vintage Hawaiiana in there.

V

Great antique shop in Hilo - right on the main drag facing the ocean. Always make a point of visiting when we are in Hilo, and I'm never disappointed! Last trip we picked up a great big glass candy/crack-seed jar from an old local drugstore. Also a fan of this great bottle shop in Honomu (I think that is the town name) - you pass thru it on the way to Akaka falls. If you like checking out old bottles from olde tyme Hawaii, this is a dream shop!

K

There's a cluster of antique shops in Kailua (Oahu) - the Hunter, Al'ii 1 and 2, and a couple of others nearby. They all have maps, so find one and you can find them all.

In town, there are a couple of stores on Kapahulu, including that one that starts with a B (Bailey's?) that has tons of old aloha shirts. In Waikiki, there's one store upstairs in the International Market Place, and another in the World Trade Center Building (I think that's the name).

I think you'll be surprised at the cost of things - that store in the International Market Place had a Tiki Bob's mug, and they wanted $300 for it!

Depending on what you're looking for, don't overlook the thrift stores - Goodwill, Salvation Army, and Savers.

And if you're here on the weekend, try the Swap Meet at the old Kam Drive in near Pearl Ridge mall (Saturday and Sunday) or on Sunday the mauka side of Aloha Stadium Flea Market (closer in to the stadium - away from the outer tourist stuff). But come late so you don't find anything I haven't already looked at.

Good Luck.

[ Edited by: Koolau 2008-08-30 00:05 ]

[ Edited by: Koolau 2008-08-30 00:06 ]

V

On 2008-08-29 23:59, Koolau wrote:
There's a cluster of antique shops in Kailua (Oahu) - the Hunter, Al'ii 1 and 2, and a couple of others nearby. They all have maps, so find one and you can find them all.

I think you'll be surprised at the cost of things - that store in the International Market Place had a Tiki Bob's mug, and they wanted $300 for it!

Ha ha - yep, I forgot to mention the Kailua shops. I live right down the street from them, and walk by them every day. I haven't been in them for years, mainly because of their absolutely crazy prices. Prices may have gotten better since my last visit - but I am more of an outer-island antique shop guy. Oahu prices are just too crazy! :)

I should mention that the aloha shirt place on Kapahulu is a lot of fun - and they do have a very wide range of prices (and shirts!)

**Mahalo for all the great tips everyone!

Mrs.Mojo and I will be there Sept. 9 through Sept. 23 to celebrate our much postponed HONEYMOON :D of five years ago! :o**

Yes, Mahalo for all the great advice gang! You're all so very kind!! Just arrived and getting my bearings. I'll give a full report of my findings soon!

Aloha!

hoola-boola

B
Brice posted on Sat, Sep 13, 2008 8:52 AM

Thanks! My wife and I are going in Oct. and were thrilled to find this thread!!!!!!

Wow that sounds really awesome - i know i mentioned it already but i really want to move to Hawaii! Everything i read from people that live there just sounds soooo amazing. Seriously a for me finding ahouse for sale on Hawaii would just make a dream bekomming true!
I don't know how you see that - I just have to go there soon :)

[ Edited by: coralb2711 2008-11-06 02:02 ]

J

halo everyone i am new here,

Programmable Thermostat

Pages: 1 9 replies