Tiki Central / General Tiki

Alaska Governor Palin and husband and tiki decor elements

Pages: 1 21 replies

T
Thomas posted on Mon, Sep 1, 2008 7:09 PM

Not bad as early-'80s prom photos go.

D

no comment...

and yet another reason to like BAMBOO BEN!

Hmm, she went to high school in Wasilla, which I believe is a part of or at least near Anchorage, so could her prom have been at The South Seas Club?

http://www.critiki.com/cgi-bin/location.cgi?loc_id=431

[ Edited by: The Granite Tiki 2008-09-01 21:45 ]

B

They must have gone to the same prom as Huey P. Newton...

TM

On 2008-09-01 19:09, Thomas wrote:

She went to the prom with Dirk Diggler?

TM

On 2008-09-01 19:09, Thomas wrote:

Actually, I never found Ted Nugent to be all that attractive, but looking at her picture, I see now that I was wrong!

B
BigToe posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2008 1:27 PM

is it just me, or does she look like she's tripping on some particularly potent shrooms???

B

Hottie.

[ Edited by: Bohemiann 2008-09-04 17:08 ]

T

T
Thomas posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2008 4:46 PM

Tiki-esque decor in a 25-year-old prom photo from rural Alaska: nice to see.
Politics: taboo.

B

So.... I should not announce my intentions to nominate The Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al ticket to the Tiki Party. Dough! .... i just did, damn....my bad.

On 2008-09-04 16:46, Thomas wrote:
Tiki-esque decor in a 25-year-old prom photo from rural Alaska: nice to see.
Politics: taboo.

Agreed! The only party we'll talk about is a Tiki Par-tay!

P
pablus posted on Thu, Sep 4, 2008 9:14 PM

I vote Hot Lava.

You want peace?
Drink peace.

You know, there are times when I'm not sure which produced uglier fashions: the '70's or the '80's.

I think I'm still gonna say '70's, only because despite the heinousness of '80's giant shoulder pads, big hair, etc., '70's stuff seemed even more unflattering. And much early '80's was actually just slow-to-die '70's stylings. Witness the quiana dress on the future Mrs. Palin, plus her middle part and flipped back wings.

Now, his hair is actually kind of mod...not that mod hair on guys is in any way flattering :roll:

Loving '80's music but not as much as mod music,
Formikahini, stuck somewhere in the late '50's/early '60's

Can you say Fashion and 80's in the same sentence?

I would call it "style" but.... that does not really work either. From the 70's I remember "Billy the Kids","Underoos" (Shazam!) and playing tennis in my "Jimmy Conner" outfits (back when shorts were short!). Bell bottom jeans actually only appeared in pop culture in the very late 60's and held most of it's popularity influence in the early 70's. It's been great for for pack-rats like me who sold all their old clothes to fund a tiki mug collection.

I would take both over the whole wear your baggy shorts around your ankles with your boxers showing, your ass hanging out, sideways ballcap, "sign flashin'" with an attitude thing that's going on.

J
joe90 posted on Sun, Sep 7, 2008 11:37 AM

*On 2008-09-06 10:00, Formikahini wrote:*And much early '80's was actually just slow-to-die '70's stylings.

That seems to be a constant theme through the decades. The fashion sense that we associate with the 1960's is from the latter half of the decade, whereas the fashion prior to 1965 is very 1950's. And if you look at the first part of the 1970's it was still very much a "Sixties" sensibility.

On 2008-09-01 20:02, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080815/NEWS05/808150364/1001/LOCALNEWSFRONT

Well at least he has experience in one area. I wonder if Gov. Pallin did any surfing during her semester at UPAC? Maybe instead of a debate we can have a surfing contest? We'll let Sen.'s McCain and Biden sit that one out though.

[ Edited by: rugbymatt 2008-09-07 11:47 ]

T
Thomas posted on Sun, Sep 7, 2008 3:39 PM

Yeah, a favorite quotation of mine -- I forgot who said it -- goes something like, "You see, for most people, the sixties didn't really start until the seventies."

Couldn't agree more on 70s vs today in terms of looking cool. Everyone mocks the (later 70s) disco scene, but it all seems so wholesome and life-affirming in retrospect. The songs are invariably sexual in nature, but mostly in a sense of shared fun (dancing was the vertical and clothed version of this -- healthy fun and good exercise). People were so fastidious about their clothing. The disco look was over the top -- but still sharp and reflecting a healthy pride. The baggy pants, the baseball cap askew, etc. ad nauseum ... it's like a child tossing his peas on the floor, just for Mom's reaction. And the sexual element tends to have a meaner, exploitative quality. It all seems like a gigantic cultural regression. Please, please, someone turn the page.

That being said, when I see the prom photo I don't hear disco -- I hear AC/DC.

Getting a wee bit off tiki here aren't we. Maybe this should have been in "beyond..." from the start. Oh well.

D

Couldn't agree more on 70s vs today in terms of looking cool. Everyone mocks the (later 70s) disco scene, but it all seems so wholesome and life-affirming in retrospect. The songs are invariably sexual in nature, but mostly in a sense of shared fun (dancing was the vertical and clothed version of this -- healthy fun and good exercise). People were so fastidious about their clothing. The disco look was over the top -- but still sharp and reflecting a healthy pride. The baggy pants, the baseball cap askew, etc. ad nauseum ... it's like a child tossing his peas on the floor, just for Mom's reaction. And the sexual element tends to have a meaner, exploitative quality. It all seems like a gigantic cultural regression. Please, please, someone turn the page.

So damn true. SO-DAMN-TRUE. Superbly articulated.

This is why I don't care much for these "I Love the (insert decade here)" shows. For a half hour snarky 'comedians' and 'personalities' ridicule and poke fun at the absurdities of decades past...as if they were so much cooler because they live in the iPod young hipster silouhette age. 'Turn the page'
...indeed!!!

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2008-09-07 16:07 ]

Pages: 1 21 replies